BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) issue or hydraulic valve lifters?

11-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #23
MadM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Dealer replaced gearbox and everything is the same, they said that they will inspect DMF when gearbox is off the car, and they said DMF is fine...

They said that it is the nature of the car and it is normal.

To have a manual that you always need to think how to drive just to avoid the knocking... come on.

If i could try the manual before buying , there is no way i would have bought one.
I have had much chaper perfomance cars that you could shift by memory and smooth, and drove bunch of porsches ,and there was no clanking and knocking. in this car is hit and miss, very frustrating.

If you add: too long and light clutch pedal, rubbery feeling shifter, CDV, and auto rev match and adding gas in low rpm, experience of driving this car is total crap.

I usally dont like auto gearboxes, but in this case, sorry i didn't buy one .

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE??? COME ON!!

Sorry for the frustrations.
I think you’re just being a bit of a crybaby.

Yes Throwout bearings make noise on manual cars, I have never owned a manual car with a silent throwout bearing. If you clutch in, the noise goes away, clutch out and you will have a difference in sound. Try it on any manual car.

As far as the jerkiness, has nothing to do with the transmission, the throttle is a bit sensitive on this car, try driving in efficient mode if your feet can’t keep the car smooth in sport plus mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM2C View Post
I think you’re just being a bit of a crybaby.

Yes Throwout bearings make noise on manual cars, I have never owned a manual car with a silent throwout bearing. If you clutch in, the noise goes away, clutch out and you will have a difference in sound. Try it on any manual car.

As far as the jerkiness, has nothing to do with the transmission, the throttle is a bit sensitive on this car, try driving in efficient mode if your feet can’t keep the car smooth in sport plus mode.
I
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #25
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Updating this thread for posterity:

So I had my car at the dealership all last week; they could not duplicate any specific symptoms with my transmission, DMF or gearbox; the DME computer did not have any stored faults either – so no particular problems were found. The symptoms that I reported (sometimes 1st gear was jerky + ticking transmission noise while at idle and not in gear would go away after disengaging the clutch) seemed to be normal; I actually consulted with the Shop Foreman, and he confirmed that the car performs as designed. Two different Master Techs tried to diagnose my car, and no abnormalities were found.

I'm no BMW technician, but here is my take. For manual transmissions, the reason that we hear a slight ticking noise when in idle, clutch pedal depressed and not in gear is that the flywheel (which normally vibrates ever so slightly as it rotates) is so close to the clutch plate that they touch when the clutch is engaged. Keep in mind that dual mass flywheels are composed of 2 disks/plates: one attached to the crankshaft and the 2nd to the clutch. Now, it makes that, upon dis-engaging the clutch (i.e. press on the clutch pedal), the two plates physically separate and no longer touch, thus the ticking goes away. I believe that this is sometimes called ‘clutch chatter’.

Now, I could be wrong, but for single mass flywheels, this symptom is actually even more pronounced since they typically vibrate quite a bit more than DMFs.

In all honesty, I experienced the 1st gear being jerky on maybe 3-4 occasions max, so it could have been user error on my side. Please note that 100% of the time I drive in Sport Plus all settings (except in efficient mode till engine/oil temp reaches at least 160F).
      11-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #26
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Updating this thread for posterity:

So I had my car at the dealership all last week; they could not duplicate any specific symptoms with my transmission, DMF or gearbox; the DME computer did not have any stored faults either – so no particular problems were found. The symptoms that I reported (sometimes 1st gear was jerky + ticking transmission noise while at idle and not in gear would go away after disengaging the clutch) seemed to be normal; I actually consulted with the Shop Foreman, and he confirmed that the car performs as designed. Two different Master Techs tried to diagnose my car, and no abnormalities were found.

I'm no BMW technician, but here is my take. For manual transmissions, the reason that we hear a slight ticking noise when in idle, clutch pedal depressed and not in gear is that the flywheel (which normally vibrates ever so slightly as it rotates) is so close to the clutch plate that they touch when the clutch is engaged. Keep in mind that dual mass flywheels are composed of 2 disks/plates: one attached to the crankshaft and the 2nd to the clutch. Now, it makes that, upon dis-engaging the clutch (i.e. press on the clutch pedal), the two plates physically separate and no longer touch, thus the ticking goes away. I believe that this is sometimes called ‘clutch chatter’.

Now, I could be wrong, but for single mass flywheels, this symptom is actually even more pronounced since they typically vibrate quite a bit more than DMFs.

In all honesty, I experienced the 1st gear being jerky on maybe 3-4 occasions max, so it could have been user error on my side. Please note that 100% of the time I drive in Sport Plus all settings (except in efficient mode till engine/oil temp reaches at least 160F).
No doubt you can get in a "bucking" situation while in first especially in s+

I for one have 0 ticking sounds from my car. I'm unfortunately VERY aware of the sounds my car makes

Ticking, thank god, is not one of them.

I hope you can get you situation sorted out and enjoy your beast!

Also my gear box feels dramatically smoother now that it's at 30k
Appreciate 0