BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Opinions about a M2 with manual gearbox?

06-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Opinions about a M2 with manual gearbox?

I have a M2 on order (delivery end of 2016) and I still have to make a decision about which gearbox I want my M2. I did a testdrive with a manual and DCT equipped M2. I have read almost every review about the M2 and how good and involving the manual gearbox is suppose to be. So I also did a test drive with a manual M2.

The clutch pedal felt really soft of the manual...for me it could be a little heavier...but it is not that big of an issue. The movement of the cluth pedal is really long (a lot longer then on my Z4M and e46 325i). I was amazed at how long the travel of the clutch pedal is and that I never saw it mentioned in any review? When releasing the clutch your knee gets really high...the end of the movement of the cluth is rather high (if you know what I mean )

With the manual gearbox you can feel the effect of turbo lag a little more then with the DCT. THe DCT shifts faster so there is less drop in rev's. The DCT has 7 instead of 6 gears, so the gearing is also shorter and it feels that you keep the engine more in the powerband with feeling less turbo lag.

Any opinion about the manual gearbox of people who have driven a manual M2 are much appreciated
      06-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

I agree the travel of the clutch pedal is really long which i also didn't care for. I installed BMS clutch stop the first day i got the car and made a huge difference, feels so much better. Oh, and the stock clutch stop the factory installs is sad
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Sounds like you're on the fence and you will probably be happier with the DCT. Personally, I would never get an auto because it's just not engaging enough for me.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
I agree the travel of the clutch pedal is really long which i also didn't care for. I installed BMS clutch stop the first day i got the car and made a huge difference, feels so much better. Oh, and the stock clutch stop the factory installs is sad
When releasing the clutch; the pedal comes really high. So your leg comes also really high. Don't think a clutch stop will change this?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
Sounds like you're on the fence and you will probably be happier with the DCT. Personally, I would never get an auto because it's just not engaging enough for me.
The DCT has more negatives (for me) then the manual... Just wondering what other people opinions are about the manual M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Honestly one of the most exciting things about getting an ///M2 was getting back into a MT for my daily driver. I don't care how fast any DCT shifts, it's a joy to row through the gears.

But to each their own...

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Bigcatkian
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I was happy to hop back into a manual but It hasn't been my favorite 6 speed. I agree the clutch is way to light and there was a huge dead spot before engagement. After the bms clutch stop it made it worlds better imo I also feel the pedal box has an interesting offset compared to other cars but maybe I'm the only one that has noticed that lol
2010 E93 M3 (sold)
2012 Wrx Sti (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
When releasing the clutch; the pedal comes really high. So your leg comes also really high. Don't think a clutch stop will change this?
I was talking about pressing in the clutch which the travel is way too long and BMS clutch stop fixed that issue.

For releasing and your leg comes really high, i don't have any issues and never noticed, i'm 6'4".
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

When I drove one I did notice the longer (and lighter) than usual pedal travel and high engagement point. Not even close to being a deal breaker for me thought. Will probably do the clutch stop anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #10
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I think it`s a bloody shame how the clutch is operating.

-Too light
-Too much travel
-No feeling of engagement at al

I fact, before getting the M2 I drove 4 months with an 116d as an replacement car, guess what? The 116d has the same clutch and travel feel.

Than there is the rev match, witch can only be disabled with all nannies of, but that ain`t always wise, but no alternative.

Why BMW? Why can`t you do the job right for how it`s suppose to be for a SPORTS CAR ??

Yes it is a fast car, yes it looks good, yes it is delivering its HP, but that`s just half work, do it right or don`t do it at al IMO !

Al in al it is a rather slick Willy`s car, rather non-emotional, sterile, especially compared to my previous 1M.

Is it bad, no it is not, it is different, but I`m not sure I do like this kind of difference at al.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #11
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Aside from the long clutch travel, my other concern is the auto-rev matching function. Seems like they're taking all the fun out of driving a traditional manual, and I have no desire to drive on the street with full traction control turned off just so I can blip it myself on downshifts.
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #12
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

6MT, just drive away, the car automatically revs up, without hitting the accelerator, when depressing the clutch the revs are hitting the sky.

The by stander must be thinking you can not drive your car properly.

That is not the idea of MANUAL transmission, the car does the thinking and I can not interfere.

So after al there is no difference to a DCT, or too little at least.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
6MT, just drive away, the car automatically revs up, without hitting the accelerator, when depressing the clutch the revs are hitting the sky.

The by stander must be thinking you can not drive your car properly.

That is not the idea of MANUAL transmission, the car does the thinking and I can not interfere.

So after al there is no difference to a DCT, or too little at least.
im not liking the sound of this...

Just how much does it rev when depressing the clutch?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
im not liking the sound of this...

Just how much does it rev when depressing the clutch?

With a cold engine the car automatically revs up to 1200RPM so you can drive away without pressing the accelerator.
But if you depress the cluth directly after it has reved up, it hits >1500RPM, so the engine electronics are responding far to late.

I don`t like it, frankly; I hate it.

I want to control my manual car, but it won`t let me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Dabozo
Major
Rep

aside from a quick test drive on a different model, ive never driven a car that rev matches...during that test drive, i never took note of exactly when the rev match occurs..is it the moment you depress the clutch pedal or when shifter enters a gear gate?
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #16
DomR
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Slot

Anyone have a comparison to a manual F8x M3/M4? I believe they are able to turn off the auto blip with out taking off all traction.

I am also torn as I want a manual car but dont want all the fun taken out. Any way to code out the auto blip?
2001.5 - B5 S4 Stage II - Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomR View Post
Anyone have a comparison to a manual F8x M3/M4? I believe they are able to turn off the auto blip with out taking off all traction.

I am also torn as I want a manual car but dont want all the fun taken out. Any way to code out the auto blip?
same here. ive mentally accepted the rev match feature but it sounds like it may be far more intrusive than i originally thought...I think i better get my butt to a dealer asap and do another test drive of a similar setup...not sure if that should be another M car or the 235...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #18
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo
aside from a quick test drive on a different model, ive never driven a car that rev matches...during that test drive, i never took note of exactly when the rev match occurs..is it the moment you depress the clutch pedal or when shifter enters a gear gate?
When the selector moves through a gate. It will hold the RPM for about a second before it drops to idle.

For everyday driving, the rev match is good, allows you to be a bit more lazy. Taking the DSC off to do your own rev matching is fine on the street unless you plan on driving like a maniac.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep

I'm going to order a manual M2...the DCT is not my kind of gearbox (less involving, less driving pleasure, etc)... I have read every review of the M2 and I know the manual gearbox is in favor.. I was just wondering why no review said anything about the long pedal travel of the clutch...not the travel when pushing down, but when releasing... I was wondering what other M2 owners or M2 testdrivers their opinion is about the clutch travel

The rev matching is indeed stupid that you can not turn it of in comfort, sport, but I can live with it... I'm used to revmatching myself in my Z4M and 325i...it's strange that the car is now doing it for me. But it's no dealbreaker for me! Besides all the aspects of the manual of the M2, my preference still goes out to the manual gearbox on a M2.
      06-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #20
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

I'm daily driving my 6mt in traffic and running around town. I've got 1600 miles on the car already. I think you really have to just accept 6mt with rev match and learn to love it. It also rev matches on up-shifts so the car is really easy to smoothly move through the gears. It's effortless to drive this car after a week of working the gearbox.

The problem is when you switch it off it's like a totally different machine and you'll realize how much the computer was helping you. You'll forget to rev match up or down shifts all the time and it takes a while to start doing it all correctly. About the time you get it dialed in you'll stop for a minute and start the car again setting back to comfort mode which has it doing everything for you.

Just my rambling observations.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I have a M2 on order (delivery end of 2016) and I still have to make a decision about which gearbox I want my M2. I did a testdrive with a manual and DCT equipped M2. I have read almost every review about the M2 and how good and involving the manual gearbox is suppose to be. So I also did a test drive with a manual M2.

The clutch pedal felt really soft of the manual...for me it could be a little heavier...but it is not that big of an issue. The movement of the cluth pedal is really long (a lot longer then on my Z4M and e46 325i). I was amazed at how long the travel of the clutch pedal is and that I never saw it mentioned in any review? When releasing the clutch your knee gets really high...the end of the movement of the cluth is rather high (if you know what I mean )

With the manual gearbox you can feel the effect of turbo lag a little more then with the DCT. THe DCT shifts faster so there is less drop in rev's. The DCT has 7 instead of 6 gears, so the gearing is also shorter and it feels that you keep the engine more in the powerband with feeling less turbo lag.

Any opinion about the manual gearbox of people who have driven a manual M2 are much appreciated
How do you like the car overall compared to your Z4M? Is it very numb feeling in comparison? Does it feel noticeably faster?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #22
Dabozo
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to order a manual M2...the DCT is not my kind of gearbox (less involving, less driving pleasure, etc)... I have read every review of the M2 and I know the manual gearbox is in favor.. I was just wondering why no review said anything about the long pedal travel of the clutch...not the travel when pushing down, but when releasing... I was wondering what other M2 owners or M2 testdrivers their opinion is about the clutch travel

The rev matching is indeed stupid that you can not turn it of in comfort, sport, but I can live with it... I'm used to revmatching myself in my Z4M and 325i...it's strange that the car is now doing it for me. But it's no dealbreaker for me! Besides all the aspects of the manual of the M2, my preference still goes out to the manual gearbox on a M2.
Im going by memory here but on my last car, a G37S couple, MT, it too had a long pedal travel and while a clutch stop can address the end point when depressing, i think there was a mod out there to address the uptake of the pedal...believe it was a new, shorter spring? not 100% sure.
Surely there must be a way to address the pedal travel...
Appreciate 0