BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > M2 vs. E92 M3

07-12-2022, 07:04 PM   #45
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Has anyone gone from an M2 to an E92/E90 M3 and what have been their thoughts from the move?
The E9x does everything fairly well - the F87 just does it a bit better. The F87 is faster and ultimately has a higher ceiling (especially the S55). On paper it is just an overall better platform. What the E9x does though is put smiles on your face. Although it doesn't overall match the F8x it is still a very capable platform. A lot of it depends on what you are looking for though too. The sounds from an E9x can be pure bliss - and for me on a street car that goes a long ways. Revving out to 8200+ is pretty magical too. Speed wise it punches well above its weight. The "low" torque is not a negative - wind it out and it pulls very hard. It's not going to be the low end torque of a turbo motor but its just a downshift or two away.

I have an OG M2, M2C, and several E9x's. All awesome cars but the E9x's are ultimately my go to. The E90 imo is the ultimate daily driver. Also race E92s and they are an absolute blast on the track. The M2's are a riot too and my M2C in particular is catching up in fun factor. It actually has me starting a build of an F82 for my next race car - the ceiling is just that much higher. But a well sorted E9x is just so much fun to drive overall it's hard to beat.

Little bit of E9x vs F87 eye candy for you:

Appreciate 4
chris7197334.00
W///7494.00
akkando5864.50
      07-13-2022, 07:13 AM   #46
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

^Absolutely spot on, that's my opinion. While they're compared a lot, they're just different kinds of fun. The M2 is a playful car, the E9x M3 is a bit more of a GT with one of the best engine sounds BMW has ever made IMO. Mine is fully catless with a Stage 2 tune, and that really not only woke up the sound, but also the midrange torque.

I know in just everyday driving, I find myself playing around with the engine, even if it's at say 4k RPM. That alone puts a smile on my face, and the fact that it's such a responsive engine. In the M2, I tend to play around with the torque and playfulness/handling of the car. It's far more likely to oversteer at low speeds, which I find entertaining.

If I could only keep one, the E92 stays. I've had it 10 years at this point and there's just going to be nothing like it ever again. Having said that, the M2C is right up there with it and I don't want to get rid of it either (even potentially for a G87)

P.S. I also think visually, they are both spot on. 2 of my favorite looking BMW's
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 6
chris7197334.00
Davil6524.50
Moflow2484.50
Paco1M101.50
Humdizzle6069.00
      01-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #47
Gotfuel
Private
Rep
Drives: Trek Madone

I find this thread of M2 vs…, absolutely fantastic. This plays through my head 2-3 times a week every night before I fall to sleep. For me, I don’t need a daily. The company I work for is WFH, and will be for the foreseeable future. All my customers are out of state, and I’m asked to get a rental when I travel. My car needs to handle 4-5 HPDE/DE a summer the first year I own it, then 2 more the next, and so on (budget driven, 2 kids in college). I’m currently a group C solo driver in the regional PCA. I hope to get to B by end of summer. It also has to be a weekend date car for my wife and I, and I’ve had a crap day I’m gonna go thrash it on some really great back roads. I was pretty much set on an m2c, (OGs are just too close in cost to an m2c, plus my wife has a 14 335i sport that is great, but I don’t wanna essentially have a arguably similar car interior and n55 wise). With m2c still sitting around 55k and dropping, I’m wondering now, with my requirements, if I shouldn’t go for a well set up e92 stripper, or if you could find one, a reasonable e46m3 for 30ish.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 09:04 PM   #48
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotfuel View Post
I find this thread of M2 vs…, absolutely fantastic. This plays through my head 2-3 times a week every night before I fall to sleep. For me, I don’t need a daily. The company I work for is WFH, and will be for the foreseeable future. All my customers are out of state, and I’m asked to get a rental when I travel. My car needs to handle 4-5 HPDE/DE a summer the first year I own it, then 2 more the next, and so on (budget driven, 2 kids in college). I’m currently a group C solo driver in the regional PCA. I hope to get to B by end of summer. It also has to be a weekend date car for my wife and I, and I’ve had a crap day I’m gonna go thrash it on some really great back roads. I was pretty much set on an m2c, (OGs are just too close in cost to an m2c, plus my wife has a 14 335i sport that is great, but I don’t wanna essentially have a arguably similar car interior and n55 wise). With m2c still sitting around 55k and dropping, I’m wondering now, with my requirements, if I shouldn’t go for a well set up e92 stripper, or if you could find one, a reasonable e46m3 for 30ish.
Sounds like you want a *reliable* car for your situation. F8X on the whole is more reliable than E9X/E46 and has lower running costs. Only needs pads, fluid, a proper alignment, and tires and it’ll take you quite far.

It’s not something that sounds sexy but having a platform that you can beat the snot out of and not have to deal with as much relative maintenance is very nice. Not saying E chassis isn’t reliable when treated right, but it’s pretty unarguable that F8X is more reliable.
Gotfuel16.50
jefe2000739.50