BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear coilover conversion

08-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Rear coilover conversion

Hi everyone, I might be switching to coilovers soon and am curious if anyone has gone with a spring over damper design vs the factory style setup.

That said, if you have a true coil over rear can you comment on how much clearance is left for the inside of the tire. I'm having a hard time visualizing the setup and I'm concerned because I also want aircups and don't want to order a ton of stuff only to find it can't work
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I think I would be concerned about the mechanical strength of the upper mounting point. It's only designed to cope with the push/pull of the damper, rather than supporting the weight of the car?

Edit: That said, the M235i Racing has rear coil-overs (so look for picture to help visualise the fitment), but does have a reinforced body shell.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Dark-Yoda
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BSM M2C

Garage List
i vote ohlins, but only because ive researched them more. i went with mcs 2wnr, had to use adjustable endlinks to clear the swaybars.

as for the cars structural strength that the other guy mentioned, the f-series is supposedly reinforced on the rear shocktowers. and it does feel like there is less stress on the chassis when driving hard vs the stock setup. that said, i do plan to do a half cage, rsd and reinforce the rear for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0