BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW dealer refuses to install MP coilovers

04-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

BMW dealer refuses to install MP coilovers

BMW dealer refuses to install MP coilovers as they state it is not meant for M2CS as the warning of suspension malfunction will pop up.

Anybody has similar experience?
I thought they just code it and the issue is non existent. But they insist they are not allowed to do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Whose m2 CS?

I’m with the dealership on this one. Takes a special kind of owner to change one of the most important features on the car.

They can get the DSC tractive setup from TPC racing and dial it in the proper way.
      04-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #3
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
MP coilovers will remove the adaptive function of your suspension and essentially turn it into an M2 comp. Are you sure you want to do that?
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #4
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Whose m2 CS?

I’m with the dealership on this one. Takes a special kind of owner to change one of the most important features on the car.

They can get the DSC tractive setup from TPC racing and dial it in the proper way.

I very much liked the MP coilovers on the M2C. I want to have it on the M2CS as well as it is designed for better handling still providing good comfort.
The adaptive suspension of M2cs can’t compete with MP coilovers as the latter is superior if we speak about sports car and not a grand turismo.
Appreciate 1
Ilikemike250.50
      04-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #5
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
I very much liked the MP coilovers on the M2C. I want to have it on the M2CS as well as it is designed for better handling still providing good comfort.
The adaptive suspension of M2cs can’t compete with MP coilovers as the latter is superior if we speak about sports car and not a grand turismo.
fair enough... maybe an indy shop will do it?
Appreciate 1
DAC17170.50
      04-11-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
MP coilovers will remove the adaptive function of your suspension and essentially turn it into an M2 comp. Are you sure you want to do that?

Have you driven the M2C with MP coilovers? It is just on a different level when you push the car and at the same time can be extremely comfortable if needed.
M2C as well as M2CS should have come from the factory with MP coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Dealer did you a favor j/k

Seriously, though, I'd listen to ptgltw and get the tractive coilovers

https://tractivesuspension.com

BMW F8x M2, M3 and M4 Plug&Play ACE Suspension kit

The TracTive coil-over suspension kit is a direct replacement for all BMW F8x M2, M3 and M4 damper system. The kit works Plug&Play with all the F8x M cars with M-EDC. This means it can be controlled thru the damper setting button fitted in the car. We also offer it as a standalone version for the non M-EDC cars, than a touchscreen display is used to control the dampers and semi-active functions.

The PnP M-EDC suspension kit we are able to upgrade your car with a new set of dampers that allow more comfort, more performance, height and camber adjustment. With the adjustable top mounts you are able to finetune camber and create a more track focused setup which is very welcome for those who use semi-slicks. For those drivers we can offer multiple springs configurations.

With the standalone ACE system the driver is able to make individual adjustment to front and rear axles, allowing to set a balance to the car. The semi-active interference is controlled by adjusting anti-roll and anti-pitch adjustment individually. The system will make adjustment based on sensor input and damping is continuously varied while driving.
The TracTive ACE dampers are fitted with our own patented DDA valve, making any damper setting possible within 6 to 10 milliseconds. Because of this we are able to create more comfort over the stock dampers. As a result the car will be easier to drive and will be more responsive and overall grip is optimized.

This TracTive Suspension ACE kit is built using ST52 steel front casing, the rear shock bodies are made of 6082 T6 aluminum. The shocks are coil-over and fitted with a spring setup which is optimal for both road and light track use. The dampers come fitted with Eibach Springs, adjustable TracTive top mounts for the front and solid rear top mounts allow precise alignment of the chassis.

TracTive Part number & Description & MRRP Price:

• TRAC-BW-Axx41, BMW F8x M2, M3, M4 Plug&Play with M-EDC TracTive ACE Suspension kit including springs and top mount €4910,-
Optionally for cars without the M-EDC we can offer the Standalone version, they require the below as extra:
• TCU-S15, Standalone TracTive Controller, wiring harness and touchscreen display with selector button €995,-
All prices exclude taxes and shipping

TracTive distributes its products through a worldwide network, please check https://tractivesuspension.com/contact/ for a dealer nearby. More information on our automotive products at https://tractivesuspension.com/autosport/ and https://tractivesuspension.com/product-category/car/
Feel free to send us a request for your car and we will assist in finding the best performing solution.

Email us at: Autosport@tractivesuspension.com. Serious dealer enquiries are welcome.
Feel free to send us a request for your car and we will assist in finding the best performing solution.
TracTive Suspension BV, Kovel 1B, 5431ST Cuijk, The Netherlands
Email us: Autosport@tractivesuspension.com
Call us: +31 485 310 309
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
kart driver
Captain
Rep

I wanted to have headache free solution. It is impossible with aftermarket solution as whatever bad happens with CCB or any other part, BMW will deny it as warranty case.

That was the reason why I chose MP coilovers on M2CS and not Ohlins R&T or KW.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:50 AM   #9
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

I must have missed the thread you made about buying your M2 CS. Congrats!
      04-12-2021, 02:27 PM   #10
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to have headache free solution. It is impossible with aftermarket solution as whatever bad happens with CCB or any other part, BMW will deny it as warranty case.

That was the reason why I chose MP coilovers on M2CS and not Ohlins R&T or KW.
If you can't find another dealer who is willing to help you with the MP coilovers, you might want to see if they will install the MP HAS kit from the M3/4

Although, TBH, I don't know how much (or if) it will be of an improvement over the stock M2 CS suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #11
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I must have missed the thread you made about buying your M2 CS. Congrats!

I didn’t create any thread ))
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #12
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
If you can't find another dealer who is willing to help you with the MP coilovers, you might want to see if they will install the MP HAS kit from the M3/4

Although, TBH, I don't know how much (or if) it will be of an improvement over the stock M2 CS suspension

In principle any good quality coilovers ensure better handling than any regular shocks including adaptive of M2CS.

On top of that I have M2C with MP coilovers and M2CS and thus can compare those at the same time, same roads, same rims, same tires. So it is not just a theory, it is a personal experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 02:06 AM   #13
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
If it can help, my friend who has Nitron got the error message... He will put back the stock setup. Apparently if your dealership won't help you it could be complicated. FYI, a friend sold its CS just because he can't put an exhaust without causing malfunction messages!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #14
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In principle any good quality coilovers ensure better handling than any regular shocks including adaptive of M2CS.

On top of that I have M2C with MP coilovers and M2CS and thus can compare those at the same time, same roads, same rims, same tires. So it is not just a theory, it is a personal experience.
We are not in disagreement here about the coilovers, but, like you said, it appears that is not an option for you unless you are willing to risk your warranty

This is why I mentioned the M Performance Height Adjustable (HAS) Suspension Kit as a POSSIBLE alternative

Part Number 33-50-2-414-216

It would at least allow you to adjust the ride height and corner balance

However, like I said, I don't know how well this kit will work with the M2CS because it was designed for the F8X M3/4 cars and I don't know what the spring rates are
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:35 PM   #15
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

i would think with all the m3 / m4's comps out there who have added performance suspension parts in parallel to the adaptive suspension there must be a workable solution out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Man that CS sounds like a lil complaining biatch.
Appreciate 1
HODLM363.50
      04-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #17
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

May be just go with the Bilstein B16 DampTronic with EDC and save the pain?

That's why I never like the idea of Active suspension on a 'track ready' M car as one is boxed in by the limited options to upgrade...some might think it's engineered by M so it must be the best setup for a stock car....NO IT'S NOT, it's there only because the car is built to a budget!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:48 PM   #18
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

That's why I never like the idea of Active suspension on a 'track ready' M car as one is boxed in by the limited options to upgrade...some might think it's engineered by M so it must be the best setup for a stock car....NO IT'S NOT, it's there only because the car is built to a budget!
The CS is not quite track ready. BMW knows the majority of them will see much more street time than track time. More than half will never see the track.

I've had plenty of different suspension setups and the CS is suited very well for spirited back road driving.

I've said it before, that you are much better off buying a 2 year old M2C and modding it if tracking is the goal and you're on a budget. If you have really deep pockets, get the CS Racing.
Appreciate 2
Davil6524.50
FrozenGT1116.50
      04-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #19
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I've said it before, that you are much better off buying a 2 year old M2C and modding it if tracking is the goal and you're on a budget. If you have really deep pockets, get the CS Racing.
Yes. Probably the last car I'd use as a track car. Something old is much more fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #20
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
i would think with all the m3 / m4's comps out there who have added performance suspension parts in parallel to the adaptive suspension there must be a workable solution out there.

That is what I hope for. Otherwise I made a mistake buying the CS assuming that MP coilovers will fit and didn’t check it properly prior to that.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:28 AM   #21
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post

Shit ! I have to say that I drove the M2cs with stock suspension and M2 comp with MP suspension and the M2cs with adaptive suspension is a crap in comparison to MPS.

You can adjust the settings of MPS for bad roads as I did it and my M2comp with MPS rides significantly better on poor roads comparing to comfort setting of M2CS adaptive suspension. And moreover, M2c has steel 2NH brakes and M2cs has CCBs (which is lighter and adds additional comfort) and yet it doesn't help M2cs to be more comfortable on poor roads.

In general I am very disappointed with adaptive suspension of M2cs, which is not a big surprise for me as I know what improvement good coilovers bring. But, shit, I just didn’t know the MPS can’t be added to M2cs.

BMW is at it best:

- They make cheaper car, which is M2c and the better suspension (which is more comfortable for poor roads and more stable on the racetrack) CAN be added
- Later on they make the pinacle of this model, M2cs, being significantly more expensive, but a better suspension CANNOT be added.

So the CS is what? A more expensive and sportier version but it has no “legitimate” way to get improved suspension to get more comfort for poor roads.
How weird is that!

Last edited by kart driver; 04-14-2021 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #22
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Shit ! I have to say that I drove the M2cs with stock suspension and M2 comp with MP suspension and the M2cs with adaptive suspension is a crap in comparison to MPS.

You can adjust the settings of MPS for bad roads and my M2comp with MPS rides significantly better on poor roads comparing to comfort setting of M2CS adaptive suspension. And moreover, M2c has steel 2NH brakes and M2cs has CCBs (which is lighter and adds additional comfort) and yet it doesn't help M2cs to be more comfortable on poor roads.

In general I am very disappointed with adaptive suspension of M2cs, which is not a big surprise for me as I know what improvement good coilovers bring. But, shit, I just didn’t know the MPS can’t be added to M2cs.

BMW is at it best:

- They make cheaper car, which is M2c and the better suspension CAN be added
- Later on they make the pinacle of this model, M2cs, being significantly more expensive, but a better suspension CANNOT be added.

So the CS is what? A more expensive and sportier version but it has no “legitimate” way to get improved suspension to get more comfort for poor roads.
How weird is that!
It's interesting for sure. I do question where the difference in performance gain comes from on the coilovers vs adaptive. BMW tested this on track for a very long time. I'm sure the adaptive dampers interact with the ediff in a way that could be lost with coilovers.

I think coilovers can be more comfortable, but are they better. What determines which is superior? Comfort, laptimes, ease of use? My experience with coilovers has been great, but they take a lot of effort to dial in. I'm unsure if most here are spending enough time tuning their suspension for their car and roads.

Not trying to start a "down with coilovers". I'm really looking for an honest metric. It's seems like a real waste of effort to tune an adaptive suspension if adding coilovers is superior in all situations. My thought is that coilovers might be a compromise in another area. Arguably, bmw put the same tuning effort into their coilovers. I believe their is nuance in the electronic system that works in conjunction withe safety and stability control. It's not just performance.
Appreciate 0