BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS : should you buy one instead a Cayman GT4 ?

02-26-2021, 02:01 PM   #89
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
"Buy whatever makes you happy. You don't have to shit on one thing to like another."

I think this rings so true. My observation is that those that have "been there, done that" Are very confident in their purchase of whatever car makes them happy. Those that are still aspiring to "make it". Are the ones that argue over the superiority of one vs the other. I've been surprised by the garages of some of the members on here that are CS owners. For them to suggest that the CS might be the bees knees is collective experience that carries some weight.
This comment is gold.
MDuckie93.00
      02-26-2021, 02:37 PM   #90
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
No, there is no need for an M2CS testdrive. I know what to expect from it.
I test drove one EVERY SINGLE DAY since February 2018; I love my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post

And this is why people just don't get the M2CS. They assume ... [M2 CS is] like the M2C with a few CF bits with a better suspension.
Isn't it though?

You mean to tell me I've been mislead and M2 CS ISN'T A M2 C with a bunch of cosmetic add-ons?

Damn, I'm going to have to ask for my money back; how dare they, I say, how dare they commit such travesty!?

I love my mind even more in drift mode
ptgltw3777.50
MDuckie93.00
      03-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #91
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
So to sum it up would this be accurate when referring to the EVO COTY 2020 M2CS:

1) You've never driven one (probably never even sat in one and might not have even seen one in person)

2) They are easy to test drive.

3) You don't need to test drive and you know how they drive because you own an M2C.

This mentality is the reason for my signature (that's the words at the bottom of each of your posts).

Test drive one and get back to me. Before then everything is just conjecture.

Look, I got the point that it is very difficult to discuss it with you given that you have already spent your money and bought M2CS.

What are you trying to persuade me of? That M2CS is a completely different car than M2C? It is not and there are tons of reviews coming from reputable people stating the same.

What is so different of M2cs compared to M2C?

Visually:
- Interrior: same architecture, although they added some carbon fiber and alcantara and changed the leather from dakota to a better quality one. At the same time they left the dashborad and doors covered with the same cheap plastic.
- Exterior: CF hood and roof. Do you really think it is important? Why do you think other cars like 991.2 GT3 don’t have CF roof and hood?

I dont have to testdrive it to say that the above doesn’t have any significant value for me.

Driving and handling characteristics:

- Transmission: same
- Power: slight increase, i.e not a big deal
- Suspension: adaptive suspension with more comfort (IRRELEVANT for me as I have M Perfomance coilovers which are superior to both M2c and M2cs suspension and my plan was to install MPS to M2cs should I buy it)

I can not have a test drive of M2CS now because those are all sitting at BMW dealers in Germany. And due to pandemic I’ve been stuck in a different part of Europe, which is far from Germany. They just don’t have M2cs at BMW dealers where I am currently located.
I will testrive M2cs as well as some other cars once I am back to Germany but I don’t expect any new impression from M2cs given the above.

P.S. I would not make the above statement if I were not the person, who is very often asked to express opinion on different cars and testdrive those. Many of my friends and people who know me, bought a specific car, because they asked for my opinion and in many cases asked to test-drive it before they spend their money. And I always help them with pleasure.

Last edited by kart driver; 03-01-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #92
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

What are you trying to persuade me of? That M2CS is a completely different car than M2C? It is not and there are tons of reviews coming from reputable people stating the same.
As soon as I got to this comment I realized I should stop reading your reply.

I think my signature says it all.

Last edited by ptgltw; 03-01-2021 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
f80_MG563.50
      03-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #93
f80_MG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 ZCP MPE `17

Quote:
Look, I got the point that it is very difficult to discuss it with you given that you have already spent your money and bought M2CS.

What is so different of M2cs compared to M2C?

Visually:
- Interrior: same architecture, although they added some carbon fiber and alcantara and changed the leather from dakota to a better quality one. At the same time they left the dashborad and doors covered with the same cheap plastic.
- Exterior: CF hood and roof. Do you really think it is important? Why do you think other cars like 991.2 GT3 don’t have CF roof and hood?

I dont have to testdrive it to say that the above doesn’t have any significant value for me.

Driving and handling characteristics:

- Transmission: same
- Power: slight increase, i.e not a big deal
- Suspension: adaptive suspension with more comfort (IRRELEVANT for me as I have M Perfomance coilovers which are superior to both M2c and M2cs suspension and my plan was to install MPS to M2cs should I buy it)

I can not have a test drive of M2CS now because those are all sitting at BMW dealers in Germany. And due to pandemic I’ve been stuck in a different part of Europe, which is far from Germany. They just don’t have M2cs at BMW dealers where I am currently located.
I will testrive M2cs as well as some other cars once I am back to Germany but I don’t expect any new impression from M2cs given the above.

P.S. I would not make the above statement if I were not the person, who is very often asked to express opinion on different cars and testdrive those. Many of my friends and people who know me, bought a specific car, because they asked for my opinion and in many cases asked to test-drive it before they spend their money. And I always help them with pleasure.
There isn't anything different, and if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't waste my time trying to test drive one.
Appreciate 2
gvstone52.00
      03-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #94
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

The CS is the CS - nothing more, nothing less. It is not an M2C with things tacked on. If that's hard to grasp, there's no level of argument that's going to get through to you. If it's not of value to you, then buy something else. It's your money and your drive.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
DocEyes78.00
      03-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #95
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yup. CS is overrated. Overpriced. Its not sports car. It's no where near the level of a GT4 and it's actually worse than your M2C because it cost so much more. The M2C is better.
DocEyes78.00
F87EVO4033.00
DrKevM52273.50
      03-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #96
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yup. CS is overrated. Overpriced. Its not sports car. It's no where near the level of a GT4 and it's actually worse than your M2C because it cost so much more. The M2C is better.

I got the point. You are trying to tell me that I have no money for M2CS and thus defending M2C.

I currently own:

- X6M F86 (my DD primarily for winter time)
- X6M F86 twin (wife’s drive during winter time and 50% during summer time)
- M2C DCT (very wide use: serves as wife’s car during summer time, my fun car during winter time, lending it to friends when they need it, etc)
- 991.2 GT3 manual (wife doesn’t touch it as she hates manual)
- Rover Mini VII 1998 (old fun car for rare occasions)

I am thinking of adding one more fun car, which can be driven by my wife as well. Most likely it is going to be 718 GT4 PDK. This will be added in addition and not instead of M2C.

Is this enough of an argument? Or should I post a photo of all my cars?

Last edited by kart driver; 03-01-2021 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:27 PM   #97
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80_MG View Post
There isn't anything different, and if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't waste my time trying to test drive one.

I am a petrol head and thus I will have a testdrive once the opportunity comes
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #98
Piets94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94 M3, AW 1M, M2 CS

Quote:
As a former owner of a DCT M2C that I daily drove for nearly 2 years (including 3 track days) - so I hope this qualifies as a valid opinion, I can tell you after 4 days in my DCT CS M2 that the car feels competely different. Even the start-up roar takes longer to settle into its usual idle revs. There are subtle and not so subtle differences everywhere that I'm discovering everyday. It feels magic because it really shouldn't feel that different.

Take a leap of faith my friend.
Appreciate 6
ptgltw3777.50
MDuckie93.00
F87EVO4033.00
Alpine*1282.00
Davil6524.50
ubchariot101.50
      03-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #99
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Quote:
I got the point. You are trying to tell me that I have no money for M2CS and thus defending M2C.

I currently own:

- M2C DCT (very wide use: serves as wife’s car during summer time, my fun car during winter time, lending it to friends when they need it, etc)

I am thinking of adding one more fun car, which can be driven by my wife as well. Most likely it is going to be 718 GT4 PDK. This will be added in addition and not instead of M2C.

That's not what he was saying but ok, nice flex.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52273.50
      03-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #100
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I currently own:

- X6M F86 (my DD for winter time)
- M2C (very wide use: serves as wife’s car during summer time, my fun car during winter time, lending it to friends when they need it, etc)
- Rover Mini VII 1998 (fun car for rare occasions)

Congrats on the collection. Enjoy them in good health.
      03-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #101
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
That's not what he was saying but ok, nice flex.
Thank you.

And for the record I don't care how much money anyone has or doesn't have. Don't care what their skin color is or isn't, don't care who they pray to if anyone. Don't care what their politics are or aren't.

I can thank my parents for this and growing up on a 300 acre farm milking the cows everyday, twice a day

Life is too short boys. I hope everyone gets to experience the magic that is the M2CS. it's a special one
MDuckie93.00
      03-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #102
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
With that group of cars I'm not sure what you are looking at the CS "FOR". That'd be the question really. To replace the M2C DCT as a wide use car... probably not the best option value/money wise, even though it is an amazing all 'rounder. If you've got the money to do it (everyone's finances and ways of looking at it are widely varied so I make no presumption despite the total value of sheetmetal) then maybe.

Personally from my view you have a good track car, something unique/classic(ish), and powerful fun DD's. The M2C fills the bit of a jack of all and fun for some. Not sure you have much of a gap to fill. That's probably why this just doesn't call to you much.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #103
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piets94 View Post
As a former owner of a DCT M2C that I daily drove for nearly 2 years (including 3 track days) - so I hope this qualifies as a valid opinion, I can tell you after 4 days in my DCT CS M2 that the car feels competely different. Even the start-up roar takes longer to settle into its usual idle revs. There are subtle and not so subtle differences everywhere that I'm discovering everyday. It feels magic because it really shouldn't feel that different.

Take a leap of faith my friend.
From the MotorTrend review today:
"To understand what driving the 2020 BMW M2 CS is like, just forget everything negative about the M2 Competition."
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
ptgltw3777.50
      03-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #104
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
With that group of cars I'm not sure what you are looking at the CS "FOR". That'd be the question really. To replace the M2C DCT as a wide use car... probably not the best option value/money wise, even though it is an amazing all 'rounder. If you've got the money to do it (everyone's finances and ways of looking at it are widely varied so I make no presumption despite the total value of sheetmetal) then maybe.

Personally from my view you have a good track car, something unique/classic(ish), and powerful fun DD's. The M2C fills the bit of a jack of all and fun for some. Not sure you have much of a gap to fill. That's probably why this just doesn't call to you much.

I just responded initially to the title of the thread. Knowing how different cars drive, I am of a strong opinion, that you should NOT buy M2CS instead of GT4 if you are already looking at GT4. It is a completely different animal and serves a different purpose.

Is M2CS better than M2C? - Definite YES, but incrementally.

Is it worth the extra money given what it offers over M2C? - Far from it (my personal opinion).
But people rarely make a decision buying a sports car based on if it makes sense or not. In many cases you just badly need this car and you don’t care what others think.

Will I upgrade my M2C to M2CS? - Very likely in the future once I have high milage on my M2C or something bad happens to the car.

The reasons are simple:

- I like how M2C/CS looks and feels.

- I adore DCT and hate conventional automatic transmission. And chances are high the next M2 will have no DCT. I sold my M5 F90 after a year of ownership because I missed DCT a lot, which I enjoyed in my M5 F10 and in my M3 e92.

So I plan to keep the last good-looking BMW with DCT for a long period of time.
Buying one more M2C doesn’t make any sense. So it is going to be M2cs as the last and the greatest.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #105
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Oh and a quick comment from me, the ultimate Porsche cars (Carreras GT and 918 aside), the RSs have CF hoods and roofs, just sayin.
Appreciate 2
RideM317.00
      03-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #106
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

And for the record I don't care how much money anyone has or doesn't have. Don't care what their skin color is or isn't, don't care who they pray to if anyone. Don't care what their politics are or aren't.
I salute you for this magnificent attitude.

Quote:
I can thank my parents for this and growing up on a 300 acre farm milking the cows everyday, twice a day.
You must have had huge cows because our cows only yield once a day

@Kart Driver, I'm certain nobody here is trying to push you into anything, certainly not Mike.

I have one comment which might shed some light for you. It took two years of development and testing before BMW announced the M2 CS. Why would they do that if it was going to be just a better version of M2C?

There are times when a moderate update or upgrade happens - it happened with M2C as the M2 CS came out. BMW offered a limited edition version with allegedly $10k worth of goodies like seats and wheels etc and they charged $3k for it, if my memory serves well. There were 120 of them for the US market.

That I think is were the difference comes in. Why would BMW spend two years refining the F87 platform if it was only a moderate upgrade?

This might also help https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...t-test-review/
ptgltw3777.50
      03-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #107
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post

That was normal for us here in Wisconsin too. At least two milkings a day.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2021, 05:25 PM   #108
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

everything in America is bigger, even their cows
ptgltw3777.50
F87EVO4033.00
      03-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #109
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

everything in America is bigger, even their cows
Three times a day and 78,000 lbs in a year!

https://georgia.growingamerica.com/n...n%20365%20days.

My grandpas farm averaged around 33,000 lbs per year per cow for over 150 head.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3777.50
      03-01-2021, 06:00 PM   #110
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I salute you for this magnificent attitude.

Quote:
I can thank my parents for this and growing up on a 300 acre farm milking the cows everyday, twice a day.

@Kart Driver, I'm certain nobody here is trying to push you into anything, certainly not Mike.

I have one comment which might shed some light for you. It took two years of development and testing before BMW announced the M2 CS. Why would they do that if it was going to be just a better version of M2C?

There are times when a moderate update or upgrade happens - it happened with M2C as the M2 CS came out. BMW offered a limited edition version with allegedly $10k worth of goodies like seats and wheels etc and they charged $3k for it, if my memory serves well. There were 120 of them for the US market.

That I think is were the difference comes in. Why would BMW spend two years refining the F87 platform if it was only a moderate upgrade?

This might also help https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...t-test-review/
The CS has 17" wheels?
Appreciate 1