BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS : should you buy one instead a Cayman GT4 ?

02-21-2021, 10:33 PM   #45
classj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328xi E90, X3 M40i, M2CS,X7M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Yeah i don't want to sound like a Porsche hater, cause i'm far from it, and would enjoy it if I bought a GTS 4.0. I just think the need from either owners or Porsche fans to have the GTS 4.0 be crowned in some way to validate the car means it is as boring as reviewers say it is, and everyone knows it.
I am an equal opportunity hater lol.

I can give you 10 things I love and hate about every car I own including the CS and I have only had it a week.

In the Porsche world, non 911 owners (Cayman, Boxster, 944, etc) have to defend their choice to those who own 911’s.

Everyone who owns a 911 has to defend themselves against GT3 owners and also argue amongst themselves which one of the 26 911 variants is best.. GT3 owners get defensive with RS owners. 991 RS owners have to fend off the manual transmission crowd.

AND.. as I found out with the CS quickly. M2 comp owners are quick to bash the car.

It’s all just bench racing.
Appreciate 6
f80_MG563.50
WWM3968.00
Rev_Hi296.50
Jimjamz4581.50
KO768.00
      02-22-2021, 12:08 AM   #46
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by classj View Post
Quote:
Yeah i don't want to sound like a Porsche hater, cause i'm far from it, and would enjoy it if I bought a GTS 4.0. I just think the need from either owners or Porsche fans to have the GTS 4.0 be crowned in some way to validate the car means it is as boring as reviewers say it is, and everyone knows it.

I can give you 10 things I love and hate about every car I own including the CS and I have only had it a week.

In the Porsche world, non 911 owners (Cayman, Boxster, 944, etc) have to defend their choice to those who own 911’s.

Everyone who owns a 911 has to defend themselves against GT3 owners and also argue amongst themselves which one of the 26 911 variants is best.. GT3 owners get defensive with RS owners. 991 RS owners have to fend off the manual transmission crowd.

AND.. as I found out with the CS quickly. M2 comp owners are quick to bash the car.

Hahaha sounds like chaos. At the end of the day, it's nice to know everyone is happy with their own choice.
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 06:04 AM   #47
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by classj View Post
Quote:

It's a disease I tellsya
      02-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #48
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
My favourite Porsche (moment)

02-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #49
msmatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
My favourite Porsche (moment)

M2 CS Video on YouTube
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #50
Debtm3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
No kidding. M2CS won because of its character. That's why we have so many butthurt bench racers. I still stand by my assessment that the M2CS gives me the same driving pleasure as a GT3 from the perspective of how it feels to drive. The CS has some added get up and go. Sure, the CS doesn't have the same sound or performance limit, but I'm not a professional driver. I couldn't exploit the limits of either so they both poke about the same region of satisfaction.
I owned a gt3rs and I made a huge mistake this summer trading it for the new turbo s... the cs can not come close to the fun my 3rs gave me .... but I find it much more fun then my turbo s .... needless to say my turbo s is about to get traded back in for a Lamborghini to hold me over till the next gen gt3!
Appreciate 3
      02-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #51
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debtm3 View Post
I owned a gt3rs and I made a huge mistake this summer trading it for the new turbo s... the cs can not come close to the fun my 3rs gave me .... but I find it much more fun then my turbo s .... needless to say my turbo s is about to get traded back in for a Lamborghini to hold me over till the next gen gt3!
Oh man....Never sell an RS! Every non RS is just another Porsche can be bought and sold at an instant.

Lambo's are Strong! They have German reliablity with Italian flair!

Enjoy your search.
      02-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #52
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debtm3 View Post
What did you hate about the Turbo S?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:26 PM   #53
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
What did you hate about the Turbo S?
I've never had either but can only imagine, once you go RS you've experienced the best Porsche has to offer. Anything else is a regression.
      02-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #54
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I've never had either but can only imagine, once you go RS you've experienced the best Porsche has to offer. Anything else is a regression.

Quite questionable as RS doesn’t have a stick. And the manual in 911 GT3 is probably the best manual out of all manufacturers. Whereas PDK is good, but the DCT is also very good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:02 AM   #55
kart driver
Captain
Rep

The answer to the question in the thread is: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Unless you need rear seats or going sideways is an absolute priority.

GT4 is just on an absolutely different level as a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:21 AM   #56
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
The answer to the question in the thread is: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Unless you need rear seats or going sideways is an absolute priority.

GT4 is just on an absolutely different level as a sports car.
It actually amazes me that people cross shop the two cars. They are nothing alike.

Maybe the better question is Corvette or 911 or GT4 or Boxster Spyder etc..
ubchariot101.50
      02-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #57
msmatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
It actually amazes me that people cross shop the two cars. They are nothing alike.

I agree, its just a price point comparison, which would you rather for just under 100 grand. Might as well add a RAM TRX....... Now that’s a comparison!

M2 vs GT4 vs TRX

LOL

M2 CS Video on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #58
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatt View Post
Quote:

I agree, its just a price point comparison, which would you rather for just under 100 grand. Might as well add a RAM TRX....... Now that’s a comparison!

M2 vs GT4 vs TRX

LOL
I have most definitely cross shopped current GT4, previous GT4, new base M3 and even preowned M4 GTS and 911 GTS. I had a chance to drive my buddy's new Vette and I may have even thought about that car for a second, but I was certainly looking for a manual car. It really comes down to what a person's primary expectation is for their car purchase.

For me, the M2CS is the best for my expectations and needs, but I recognize that all of these cars have their own following. And once you think about all of these cars, the M2CS is priced accordingly....even though I had hoped for mid to high 70K
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:13 PM   #59
kart driver
Captain
Rep

OUT OF GT4 and M2CS

If you need a true sports car, which:

- is by far a better choice for a racetrack duty (I would even say there is just NO comparison)
- stops and turns better
- has a built quality and interrior on a significantly higher level

The choice is obvious - GT4.

If you need rear seats and a fun car capable of going sideways - you buy M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #60
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I like that you guys have a choice at the price point listed for the CS and GT4, very envious.

Not in Aus, as has been said before. The GT4 is USD$190k and the CS is USD$123k so for us down here it’s not a cross shop on price thing not even close.

I do not need a 4 seater or lots of luggage space so IF I was shopping the two I’d buy the GT4 or Spyder. I am a Porsche wanker so there ya go. I had a 981 Spyder and loved it, sound, seating position, gearbox and handling oh and I love those Porsche big rear hips
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #61
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
OUT OF GT4 and M2CS

If you need a true sports car, which:

- is by far a better choice for a racetrack duty (I would even say there is just NO comparison)
- stops and turns better
- has a built quality and interrior on a significantly higher level

The choice is obvious - GT4.

If you need rear seats and a fun car capable of going sideways - you buy M2CS.
You're looking at it from a track perspective and while I love my track days and have many under my belt it's mostly about the street fun factor.

I have a Porsche race car for the track and I have a BMW for the race track.

The fun factor for the street goes to the BMW for me.

Also I'd rather have a new BMW than a 5 year old GT4 for my money. $85k The new GT4 isn't even in the same ballpark at $120k ish when any decent options are added. Not many buy stripper GT4's.

Then if you're comparing used Porsche's to new BMW's. No way I want a Gt4 when I can have a 997.1 GT3 for basically the same money. And yes I've been there done that.

Like I said before. When BMW makes a once in a generation car I buy it. And no it's not just an M2C with some CF bits.

Last edited by ptgltw; 02-25-2021 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
FCTrs439.00
      02-25-2021, 05:27 PM   #62
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Not in Aus, as has been said before. The GT4 is USD$190k and the CS is USD$123k so for us down here it’s not a cross shop on price thing not even close.

Crazy!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #63
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
I like that you guys have a choice at the price point listed for the CS and GT4, very envious.

Not in Aus, as has been said before. The GT4 is USD$190k and the CS is USD$123k so for us down here it's not a cross shop on price thing not even close.

I do not need a 4 seater or lots of luggage space so IF I was shopping the two I'd buy the GT4 or Spyder. I am a Porsche wanker so there ya go. I had a 981 Spyder and loved it, sound, seating position, gearbox and handling oh and I love those Porsche big rear hips
+1. We do very well in Aus with Asian car pricing but get absolutely hammered with Euro stuff. Unfortunately MOST the good stuff is Euro sourced these days imo.
      02-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #64
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You're looking at it from a track perspective and while I love my track days and have many under my belt it's mostly about the street fun factor.

Track is for racing cars. But if you can’t afford a racing car and can only have a road legal car, which you use both on the street and on the track then GT4 is faster, better and cheaper.

Fun factor:
Going sideways is fun without any doubt and M2C/CS is an absolute leader in this regard.
But what about the engine sound? Sound is important for the fun factor and the GT4 is a clear winner against M2CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #65
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Track is for racing cars. But if you can’t afford a racing car and can only have a road legal car, which you use both on the street and on the track then GT4 is faster, better and cheaper.

Fun factor:
Going sideways is fun without any doubt and M2C/CS is an absolute leader in this regard.
But what about the engine sound? Sound is important for the fun factor and the GT4 is a clear winner against M2CS.
Your thoughts are also welcome here but they will be scrutinized. The GT4 is BORING and overpriced. When they make a GT car fun again I'll buy one. LMK when they bring back the fun. Fast yes they have it. Quality build, sure like no other. Fun...absolutely not. BORING!

Know your audience.
MDuckie93.00
      02-25-2021, 05:52 PM   #66
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Quote:

Track is for racing cars. But if you can't afford a racing car and can only have a road legal car, which you use both on the street and on the track then GT4 is faster, better and cheaper.

Fun factor:
The driving feel, engine sound, and overall experience of the CS is superior on the street to the 981 GT4 that I drove. That's why I own a CS and not a GT4.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0