BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS: will it be like M3/M4 CS sitting on dealer lots or not ?

04-30-2021, 09:50 AM   #199
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey_Dual_Clutch View Post
More vaccines people “feel” safe and things open back up. I’d have worn a hazmat suit if needed to get my car if I was older or at increased risk.
It’s going to open up more this summer and demand will go nuts...I think lol. I’m actually betting oil will go through the roof. In addition, chip shortages will mess up the supply chain big time. To me this confirms my bias of buying the car when I had the chance.

I hope we all stay healthy and can meet up for events going forward!
W/ rampant debt & no increase in the supply side, it's safe to say commodities are going to skyrocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #200
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
So, if you accept this hypothesis, one could argue that even if BMW had perfectly allocated M2CS'es based on perfect information with regard to demand by country, they would have conducted that market research and allocated #'s pre-COVID.
It's REALLY struck me on this forum how many cars are sitting on lots in the EU, how low prices are for new and used cars in the EU, relative to the US. This is also correlated with NGDP growth data, which is being driven by vaccination rates.
Potentially, the lesson learnt for BMW really would be: Don't allocate the hottest, best-driving M car of all time, and then get hit with a global pandemic, because as countries screw up their vaccination programs, that will screw up your sales.
EUR-spec M2 CS could be ordered in Europe from Nov 6, 2019 onwards, with production scheduled to start in March 2020.

Lukewarm sales - no rush or frenzy. Still today, despite many good reviews, several M2 CS cars are sitting on dealer lots in Europe (brand new and used) waiting for customers. Several M2 CS cars are put up for sale on car trade websites.

Dealers contacting existing customers to offer an M2 CS, double digit % discounts and the "limited edition" tagline: often to no avail.

To put it bluntly: also in Europe the M2 CS is considered a great car, but unfortunately it is immodestly priced (read: overpriced). I do know that pointing this out triggers some teeth gnashing amongst US forum members, but it is an inconvenient truth. If you want an M2 CS over here today: no problem.
      04-30-2021, 10:38 AM   #201
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
EUR-spec M2 CS could be ordered in Europe from Nov 6, 2019 onwards, with production scheduled to start in March 2020.

Lukewarm sales - no rush or frenzy. Still today, despite many good reviews, several M2 CS cars are sitting on dealer lots in Europe (brand new and used) waiting for customers. Several M2 CS cars are put up for sale on car trade websites.

Dealers contacting existing customers to offer an M2 CS, double digit % discounts and the "limited edition" tagline: often to no avail.

To put it bluntly: also in Europe the M2 CS is considered a great car, but unfortunately it is immodestly priced (read: overpriced). I do know that pointing this out triggers some teeth gnashing amongst US forum members, but it is an inconvenient truth. If you want an M2 CS over here today: no problem.

Tell ya what: EU dealers should send those cars over here to the U.S. They'd get bought up immediately. "Frenzied" is the right word to describe the demand over here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #202
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Tell ya what: EU dealers should send those cars over here to the U.S. They'd get bought up immediately. "Frenzied" is the right word to describe the demand over here.
This isn't true for just the M2CS. This is all cars right now. Alfa is buying back my buddy's QV NRing due to engine issues (surprise, surprise) and he's trying to find a replacement. There's nothing out there from any of the brands - Porsche, BMW, even Alfa! What's available are selling for what they went for new. Even the F80 is seeing a massive price increase right now.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
CSBM52722.50
Tornado1M1211.00
      04-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #203
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
This isn't true for just the M2CS. This is all cars right now. Alfa is buying back my buddy's QV NRing due to engine issues (surprise, surprise) and he's trying to find a replacement. There's nothing out there from any of the brands - Porsche, BMW, even Alfa! What's available are selling for what they went for new. Even the F80 is seeing a massive price increase right now.
I'm no Ecomomist but you can thank Covid Inflation for this. Which is one of the reasons why I bought the M2 CS. Pre inflation prices and I saw it coming. The writing was on the wall when a decently spec'd M3 or M4 is now into the triple digits.
Tornado1M1211.00
      04-30-2021, 01:13 PM   #204
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Unconfirmed rumor of the past: close to 400 M2 CS for the US. But in the meantime already 589 were retrieved (see the dedicated thread here). Dozens were sent over stateside without customer order. Up to the dealerships to try to find customers for those.

I know dealerships over here that are still 'stuck' with an M4 CS, M3 CS or M4 GTS. As a dealer told me: "Yeah, it gets looks. But no buyer. If you want to buy it, let me know."
      04-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #205
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Unconfirmed rumor of the past: close to 400 M2 CS for the US. But in the meantime already 589 were retrieved (see the dedicated thread here). Dozens were sent over stateside without customer order. Up to the dealerships to try to find customers for those.

I know dealerships over here that are still 'stuck' with an M4 CS, M3 CS or M4 GTS. As a dealer told me: "Yeah, it gets looks. But no buyer. If you want to buy it, let me know."
Davil's comment earlier was on point. They should have built more RHD cars. All those countries seem to have sold out and have no supply left (eg UK and Australia). UK moto journalists (Chris Harris and Mr AMG) bought more cars personally than were allocated to Singapore and NZ.
Appreciate 2
Davil6524.50
      04-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #206
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Davil's comment earlier was on point. They should have built more RHD cars. All those countries seem to have sold out and have no supply left (eg UK and Australia). UK moto journalists (Chris Harris and Mr AMG) bought more cars personally than were allocated to Singapore and NZ.
bite your tongue young Jimjamz

They made just the perfect number of RHD M2 CSs

At less than 15% of total supply, I wish they made 100 less in fact.

RHD M2 CS with AW CCB DCT or 6MT will be so rare you'd have an easier time finding a unicorn in a few years
      04-30-2021, 11:19 PM   #207
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Someone in Aus is having a go at the market, testing the water as they say, ~$15k over list plus buyer pays another ~$8k in taxes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 02:58 AM   #208
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine* View Post
Someone in Aus is having a go at the market, testing the water as they say, ~$15k over list plus buyer pays another ~$8k in taxes.
That is the price of mine (180KAUD = 126KCHF) before discount. Not cheap if there is no discount. For this price you can have a brand new 992 Carrera or a GT4 in my country.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 03:35 AM   #209
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Quote:
That is the price of mine (180KAUD = 126KCHF) before discount. Not cheap if there is no discount. For this price you can have a brand new 992 Carrera or a GT4 in my country.
You'd have to pay a further 40k+ AUD above this to get a GT4 in Australia.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      05-01-2021, 06:25 AM   #210
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Quote:
You'd have to pay a further 40k+ AUD above this to get a GT4 in Australia.
Same situation here (30kchf > than CS discounts included). This is why they can't compare them here (at least in term of pricing) . A M4 G82 is actually the only « true » competitor. And it is still a bit more expensive when « correctly » equiped.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #211
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That belongs to a fellow forum member who's hoping to buy the G82
Alpine*1283.50
      05-01-2021, 09:32 AM   #212
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
'Post honeymoon' stage ?
      05-01-2021, 09:53 AM   #213
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
'Post honeymoon' stage ?
I guess either that or temporary insanity :
Davil6524.50
      05-01-2021, 12:49 PM   #214
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I haven't heard the EU prices are low. In fact some of the euro prices I've seen for the CS are eye watering - even by Australian standards.
Those of €150K are full option MSRP (including M-CCB) M2 CS cars in The Netherlands because of Dutch taxes. No markup (see here).

Other European countries levy taxes too, but not to the extent as in The Netherlands. Next country evolving into the Dutch taxes direction: France.

But in M2 CS listings such as for example this one or this one, there are effectively several cars with a markup (keep in mind as yardstick: MSRP for an M2 CS featuring a metallic color (MB, HS or BSM) and M-DCT and zero other options was ± €100K in Germany). If those coin-flippers want to get rid of their "short-term financial investment" soon, they'll need a reality check and lower their prices. Their initial idea of making a quick buck with the M2 CS was a mistake, though a forseeable one (cf. M4 GTS, M4 CS and M3 CS resale prices). They'd better keep the car, enjoy it to bits and not cry over spilt milk.
      05-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #215
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Iirc RS6, but yeh.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #216
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Iirc RS6, but yeh.
Ugh, RS6. So sick!
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #217
Joey_Dual_Clutch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
I'm no Ecomomist but you can thank Covid Inflation for this. Which is one of the reasons why I bought the M2 CS. Pre inflation prices and I saw it coming. The writing was on the wall when a decently spec'd M3 or M4 is now into the triple digits.
Yep. I’ve said it a few times now but chip shortages will cause plants to shut down. This is a supply shortage. It’s going to happen if it hasn’t already.
Simple economics, supply falls and demand stays the same, price goes up. If supply drops AND demand goes up, prices go up even higher.

What that means for the CS because supply is already pretty much zero for new CS’ (for the US), I’m not sure. And I think if you are a petrol head with $, you already have this car or it’s in the way so I’m unsure if demand will markedly increase. But I’d assume at least slow depreciation.

This is going to be an interesting summer, we may see some crazy commodity prices.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 04:28 AM   #218
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Iirc RS6, but yeh.
True dat
      05-02-2021, 05:24 AM   #219
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't heard the EU prices are low. In fact some of the euro prices I've seen for the CS are eye watering - even by Australian standards.
Those of €150K are full option MSRP (including M-CCB) M2 CS cars in The Netherlands because of Dutch taxes. No markup (see here).

Other European countries levy taxes too, but not to the extent as in The Netherlands. Next country evolving into the Dutch taxes direction: France.

But in M2 CS listings such as for example this one or this one, there are effectively several cars with a markup (keep in mind as yardstick: MSRP for an M2 CS featuring a metallic color (MB, HS or BSM) and M-DCT and zero other options was ± €100K in Germany). If those coin-flippers want to get rid of their "short-term financial investment" soon, they'll need a reality check and lower their prices. Their initial idea of making a quick buck with the M2 CS was a mistake, though a forseeable one (cf. M4 GTS, M4 CS and M3 CS resale prices). They'd better keep the car, enjoy it to bits and not cry over spilt milk.
Still 6 brand new here but dealers don't give much discount on it apparently. The cheapest CS are used car (low mileage) and still @ 90KCHF for now. 50 brand new G8x are available right now.
Few months ago it was interesting for swiss residents to buy their new cars in euro area but due to new tax (CO2 taxes) this is no more the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #220
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Quote:
I was drawn to the F87 CS and love it for the same reasons each of you do.

All I'm saying is we don't know fully what the G87 has in store. The E46 CSL came two gens after the E30 M3. It had a SMG and modern tech but was what many consider one of BMW M's greatest cars (if not the greatest).

A potential G87 CSL in RWD and manual with the last M petrol engine will be a true end of the line. I can imagine the queue for that car being up the road and around the corner.
I guess no one has found the other special Easter eggs on the F87CS's beyond the roof.
You going to leave us in the dark? Let us in on the other interesting CS features.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00