Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Right now the CS forum is the "where it's at" place to be, while on the 1 M board all you see is the occasional tumbleweed roll by.
I try to blow those tumbleweeds myself from time to time, but I am never sure if anyone sees them.
It does occur to me that this will be the fate of the F87 CS forum one day. Will need to institute a F87 CS Day on a special date each year to celebrate the beast.
How about December 16th? It was on that day BMW officially announced the F87CS in 2019.
MDuckie94.50
f80_MG563.50
      02-28-2021, 02:30 AM   #156
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right now the CS forum is the "where it's at" place to be, while on the 1 M board all you see is the occasional tumbleweed roll by.
I try to blow those tumbleweeds myself from time to time, but I am never sure if anyone sees them.
It does occur to me that this will be the fate of the F87 CS forum one day. Will need to institute a F87 CS Day on a special date each year to celebrate the beast.
How about December 16th? It was on that day BMW officially announced the F87CS in 2019.
Or 11 December, announcement of 2020 evo car of the year.
Appreciate 2
f80_MG563.50
      02-28-2021, 04:10 AM   #157
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
how about the entire week?
Jimjamz4583.00
f80_MG563.50
      02-28-2021, 04:50 AM   #158
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I like it. Dec 11-17 December = F87 CS Week
Appreciate 2
f80_MG563.50
      02-28-2021, 05:12 AM   #159
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I like it. Dec 11-17 December = F87 CS Week
So let it be written, so let it be done.

ptgltw3777.50
f80_MG563.50
      02-28-2021, 11:46 AM   #160
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
What a great post to read. I can relate to it a lot.

My first taste for M cars was a boss' E46 M3 what must be 25 years ago. I got my own 2nd hand E46 330i several years later. What a great car.

I remember the build up to his E46 M3 arriving and how when it landed it was special. It was a real experience every time it pulled up around the corner. The beast had arrived.

I worked my way through the E46 to E92 335i to F80 M3 and then what was the long wait for the F87 M2 CS. This is the one that seemed special and it feels like how I know he must have felt with the E46 M3 in his garage. Like it was a special piece of engineering and he had the joy of living with it. He passed away not longer after and his E46 M3 was his last car. I can still remember him looking at it with a big smile as he approached with keys in hand.

It would have seemed very ambitious at the time to imagine I'd be in a the same position in life, but it's certainly the case now and I can relate to that special feeling. I'm not looking forward to any other car on the product horizon, I don't imagine what could be when another amazing sports car drives by, all I look forward to is the time in the day I'll grab the keys and rev off to some twisty curves up the road.
Thanks for your comments jimjamz. I have a closer connection and understanding to those people who have experienced the joy of desiring an M, long before they could afford one as I was in that very boat for 20 years. Like you I had to "settle" for lesser models like the '91 318is, then later the '04 330i ZHP. And finally when I could reasonably afford one the size and weight creep really kicked into gear, and put me off from ever hoping to own an M.

Fortunately the E82 was introduced about the same time and I opted to downsize to an '09 135i. Man, what a great little drivers car. Unfortunately, even with the sports package the car is way more engine than chassis. I wanted the 1 M when it was announced, but was committed to replacing my frau's '03 E46 325iT with an E91 328iT in 2011, because I was afraid NA would discontinue offering the SportWagon in 2012.

As luck would have it while turning in the 328iT at the Login/Out parking lot at the airport in Munich, the Editor in Chief of BMW Blog at the time was also returning his Valencia orange 1 M. For 15 minutes we chatted, and he gushed about his driving experiences of driving in Europe (it was a joint business trip as he was also there to test drive both the M135 and M6). He unabashedly said the 1 M was the best M car he had ever had the privilege of driving. Well, it took me another year of saving up my pennies (I paid a premium) until I finally could afford one even though it wound up being a two owner car, although with only 1900 miles on the odometer. And yeah, I was that guy who once said he would (1) never be a sucker to pay over sticker, and (2) nor buy used, and up to 40k miles now in it and I have no regrets.

So anyone with a CS that didn't buy it to flip it would do well to hold on to it and rack up as many smiles with each mile, and not worry about hurting the resale value.

Long may you and your CS run.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 6
f80_MG563.50
msmatt331.00
ptgltw3777.50
Jimjamz4583.00
      02-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #161
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
It hasn't gone unnoticed CarJunkie! I always appreciate your contributions and videos, especially from the tracking perspective as you have way more guts (not to mention talent) than I do.

Waiting for the weather to get better so you can give us all more feedback on both models.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 2
CarJunkie2616.50
      02-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #162
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
..... And yeah, I was that guy who once said he would (1) never be a sucker to pay over sticker, and (2) nor buy used, and up to 40k miles now in it and I have no regrets.

So anyone with a CS that didn't buy it to flip it would do well to hold on to it and rack up as many smiles with each mile, and not worry about hurting the resale value.

Long may you and your CS run.
I salute you my good Sir

May the ///M be with you; for life
      03-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #163
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Johnny continued
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
sdhotwn2128.50
mfarrzhp1491.00
Bimmed Out1908.50
      03-24-2021, 08:58 PM   #164
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Johnny continued
He just saved that guy $25g in mods and he still would have had an M2C, not that there is anything wrong with that. Well done sir. Great advice.
ScullyD5165.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
      03-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #165
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Johnny continued
He just saved that guy $25g in mods and he still would have had an M2C, not that there is anything wrong with that. Well done sir. Great advice.
Definitely a shift in recent M2C vs M2CS rhetoric in a few places. Used to be "is the premium worth it" and now it's "how can I make my M2C more like the CS."
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
      03-25-2021, 02:01 AM   #166
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Johnny continued
Definitely a shift in recent M2C vs M2CS rhetoric in a few places. Used to be "is the premium worth it" and now it's "how can I make my M2C more like the CS."
A telling sign of the buyer's remorse (in reverse); they didn't buy one and now are regretting it