BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Questions on tracking the M2 with more power

04-09-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
rbahr
Private
Rep
Drives: To many & not enough

Questions on tracking the M2 with more power

Hi All,

I am considering an increase on the M2's power. Ideally more mid range and high end torque. I am not looking for anything crazy, more like the M2CS or M3 or M4. I certainly don't want to replace the turbos.

With that in mind, at which point do I need to upgrade the intercooler and oil cooler?

What are the differences between a flash and something like the Dinan piggyback system?

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:08 PM   #2
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Hey Ray. You’ve got a M2 Competition right?

You can get a tune for it that’s similar to the CS tune, that makes similar power, from either -Enabled on this forum or through Bend Calibration. Both have a great reputation and Enabled can even assist with “unlocking” your car so it will accept the tune.

Piggyback is old tech and inferior to a Flash.

Stock coolers should suffice just fine on the street. Others can weigh in on where they typically reach their limit on track but I suspect at CS power levels you’re fine as is.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:42 PM   #3
rbahr
Private
Rep

Thanks, yes, it is a M2C -should have stated that. This is mainly a track car, so it is driven in anger more often than not.

Does BMW measure inlet temps that I can access? I have an Aim Solo connected to the OBDII system.

I had a STi as a track car and went down the expensive rabbit hole of turbos and tuning, and that didn't have a long term positive effect.

Thanks

Ray
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:22 PM   #4
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbahr View Post
Thanks, yes, it is a M2C -should have stated that. This is mainly a track car, so it is driven in anger more often than not.

Does BMW measure inlet temps that I can access? I have an Aim Solo connected to the OBDII system.

I had a STi as a track car and went down the expensive rabbit hole of turbos and tuning, and that didn't have a long term positive effect.

Thanks

Ray
IAT values are available via OBD for your AIM. If you do accidentally fall down the rabbit hole you’ll be well cared for by OG Shark when you get there. He’s got your AP brakes and suspension ready to go
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 08:24 PM   #5
rbahr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
IAT values are available via OBD for your AIM. If you do accidentally fall down the rabbit hole you’ll be well cared for by OG Shark when you get there. He’s got your AP brakes and suspension ready to go
Been there, done that

Ray
Appreciate 0