Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
To the OP, Sorry to hear about your introduction to M2 ownership, carbon roof failure is certainly a major concern. Hopefully it’s sorted correctly for you.
9 out of 10 wet footwells are caused by a leaking windscreen seal, so for peace of mind it may also be worth checking the screen hasn’t been replaced at some time.
      11-01-2023, 09:57 AM   #24
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Same. Mine has had ppf since new. Will keep an eye on it long-term. The E92 with 18k miles I just bought was garage kept it's entire life. The cf roof is in excellent condition and it's 13 years old. I will be getting ppf on it if a couple weeks as well. The original ppf on the front of the car is also holding up great. It does have a slight yellow/orange from uv now but that film is also 13 years old and outdated tech
Oh man good luck with that. Old tech ppf and 13 years on the car, hope it does not pull put the paint when it is removed.

Kind funny that people got ppf to protect car only to have it be even worst than rock chips when you take it off.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 10:07 AM   #25
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Kind funny that people got ppf to protect car only to have it be even worst than rock chips when you take it off.
There is absolutely no danger of pulling original paint when removing PPF correctly. The problem arises when the car is painted after the fact and PPF is applied before the paint is allowed to fully to out-gas of reducer, hardener, and catalyzer, causing the paint to weaken internally or if the PPF is removed incorrectly.

EDIT: Let me correct this statement to clarify. Factory paint is applied under the best of conditions, and most times heated directly afterwards to promote bonding. Beyond that, the vehicle will normally sit for quite a while before getting into the hands of the dealer, which is usually the point where PPF may be applied (sometimes it's at the port, like it was with my Lotus-branded PPG Starshield). This process almost guarantees that the paint will be fully outgassed of reducer, hardener, and catalyzer before PPF is applied, and as long as the remover removes it correctly, will not cause an issue. However, it is possible that PPF can be applied to factory paint before it has fully outgassed, and therefore the condition exists that it could come off with the PPF removal, even if done correctly.

However, I would think that would be a super rare instance.

Last edited by ///MPhatic; 11-01-2023 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #26
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
There is absolutely no danger of pulling original paint when removing PPF correctly. The problem arises when the car is painted and PPF is applied before the paint is allowed to fully to out-gas of reducer, hardener, and catalyzer, or if the PPF is removed incorrectly.
Yeah I was actually a little hesitant on replacing the front for that reason stated above but the more I researched, as long as you have a good detailed who knows that they're doing then it's fine. I might just leave the front bumper as it is because there's not even a peel or bubble in site but the hood and fenders were only half done so I wanted to remove and do full panels with the roof as well
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 11:24 AM   #27
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

not a ppf installer but I did just see that Matt Farah from the smoking tire was having the ppf removed from his new nsx and paint came right off the bumper, had to get it repainted. I would be very surprised if he used a bad installer, he is good friends with Larry from ammo as well.

Last edited by MooMooM2; 11-01-2023 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #28
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
not a ppf installer but I did just see that Matt Farah from the smoking tire was having the ppf removed from his new nsx and paint came right off the bumper, had to get it repainted. I would be very surprised if he used a bad installer, he is good friends with Larry from ammo as well.
Factory paint issue or repainted at port.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 12:47 PM   #29
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's very weird. Something has to be up with that.

I know that usually there isn't an issue with PFF on new, factory paint because the cars sit so long before they get to port or the dealer that full outgassing has occurred. Maybe Acura is putting the PPF on themselves? I know some manufacturers are now offering it. No matter how good the paint is, factory or not, it has to outgas fully before PPF can be installed, otherwise the reducer, hardener, and catalyzer get trapped and break the paint down, causing it to be very brittle. It doesn't even look like paint at that point, more like colored tin foil.
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2023, 01:30 PM   #30
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

PPF of today is not the same as PPF from 2006. The technique used to remove it is also a factor. It’s not as simple as all PPF does or doesn’t rip off paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 02:39 PM   #31
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I know that usually there isn't an issue with PFF on new, factory paint because the cars sit so long before they get to port or the dealer that full outgassing has occurred. Maybe Acura is putting the PPF on themselves? I know some manufacturers are now offering it. No matter how good the paint is, factory or not, it has to outgas fully before PPF can be installed, otherwise the reducer, hardener, and catalyzer get trapped and break the paint down, causing it to be very brittle. It doesn't even look like paint at that point, more like colored tin foil.
this is a 2005 acura so was not factory ppf but yeah maybe it was repainted at some point and he did not know. I just found it interesting.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50
      11-01-2023, 08:43 PM   #32
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:

What about that little factory piece on our m2cs? Behind the doors? Mine has minimal yellowing that you can notice on Alpine White. I want to remove that but it was done from factory. Might as well just remove it now rather than wait even longer?
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      11-01-2023, 10:31 PM   #33
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Are applying new PPF in its place. If not I’d consider keeping it. The width of the rear arches causes them to pick up a lot of debris from the fronts. The PPF sections included in the stock setup seem to be strafiy located in the prime strike zone for rocks and other road nasties.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2023, 10:35 PM   #34
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
Are applying new PPF in its place. If not I’d consider keeping it. The width of the rear arches causes them to pick up a lot of debris from the fronts. The PPF sections included in the stock setup seem to be strafiy located in the prime strike zone for rocks and other road nasties.
Yeah I would replace and actually extend it a little bit
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      11-02-2023, 06:54 AM   #35
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
What about that little factory piece on our m2cs? Behind the doors? Mine has minimal yellowing that you can notice on Alpine White. I want to remove that but it was done from factory. Might as well just remove it now rather than wait even longer?
Remove and replace ASAP, as it's woefully inadequate. If you feel your hand around in front of, above, to the right, and below you'll see that your paint is probably beat up because of how the entire quarter panel area needed to be PPF'd but BMW decided to give us just enough to prove the damage caused without it.

The area marked in red is what gets chipped up, but I did the area marked in yellow because I didn't wanted the PPF cut lines to be more hidden.

Of course, I did the full rockers, full front, a strip on the roof, and the bottom of the door, etc, but this pic shows what I did in that area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 07:18 AM   #36
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Quote:
Remove and replace ASAP, as it's woefully inadequate. If you feel your hand around in front of, above, to the right, and below you'll see that your paint is probably beat up because of how the entire quarter panel area needed to be PPF'd but BMW decided to give us just enough to prove the damage caused without it.

The area marked in red is what gets chipped up, but I did the area marked in yellow because I didn't wanted the PPF cut lines to be more hidden.

Of course, I did the full rockers, full front, a strip on the roof, and the bottom of the door, etc, but this pic shows what I did in that area.
The yellow is exactly what I wanted to do too. I have the red on the rear bumper already but figured to remove both pieces and just extend it properly
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 09:23 AM   #37
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
OP

These are most, if not all, the posts I found find regarding CF roof issues with F87M2CS

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1766380

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1800871

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1898496

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819852
chris7197334.00
      11-04-2023, 11:36 AM   #38
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

It's also possible that the windshield has been replaced and wasn't sealed properly. This is common problem with replacement windshields.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #39
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
It's also possible that the windshield has been replaced and wasn't sealed properly. This is common problem with replacement windshields.
If the water is in the passenger footwell, it is probably whatever is causing it on a few other M2s and F22s. I don't think it would be the windshield but it's definitely a mystery. I just hope the OP reports back with the findings. Unfortunately I have this sneaking suspicion that the issue is unrelated to the roof, but they did discover a roof defect in the process.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2023, 08:48 PM   #40
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
What's the issue with water in the footwell? It's it because of drains getting clogged under the hood and trunk?
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2023, 10:38 PM   #41
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's the issue with water in the footwell? It's it because of drains getting clogged under the hood and trunk?
I don't think anyone knows. There were a few M2s that mysteriously had this issue and one guy in Australia or the UK I believe had their dealer blame them for parking on a hill when it rains.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1567224

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2012504

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...r+in+footwells
Appreciate 1