BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Tested the new M2...it's no CS

08-07-2023, 08:42 AM   #1
tjlazer
Rep
Drives: E30 325i, VW Cali

Tested the new M2...it's no CS

I had a good test ride of the new model on Saturday, with an hour or so driving a mix of autoroute, town and some proper twisty fast roads. I drove to my BMW centre in my DCT CS so i could really directly compare between the two.

I won’t bore you with war and peace, simply my impressions are:
1) the tech is a bit overwhelming, i miss simple button presses to change suspension etc
2) steering has considerably less feel and isn’t as sharp as the CS, it felt really dead
3) didn’t feel batshit crazy in sport plus like my CS, in fact it felt down on power against it. I believe they are matched but my CS has the eventuri intake and akrapovic exhaust so maybe they add a few ponies. I mean i drove in full sport and had to shift to 2nd to get it exciting (this is the auto), it just felt silly, more like i ride my ducati than drive a car just because the power is so peaky
4) weight is there, you feel it in the corners and in braking (which again fell short of my CCB on the CS)
5) suspension settings don’t really do anything, sport plus didn’t feel any more direct than comfort
6) interior override is good, i guess the big screen would grow on me, although the shifters felt a bit flimsy and the gearbox is not as sharp as DCT
I left quite disappointed, even ignoring the styling it feels a long way from being a future replacement, i’m not sure a CS version can even fix these flaws.
Keep the CS, BMW had not done enough with this M2 to convince me to change!
Attached Images

Appreciate 9
RideM317.00
///MPhatic13862.50
Jimjamz4581.50
F87EVO4033.00
Kingpin4386.50
Davil6524.50
omak81148.00
      08-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Not surprised, the cars are polar opposites, regardless if they are both badged as M2's.

F87 CS + CCB FTW.
Appreciate 6
F87EVO4033.00
M3R12168.50
Kingpin4386.50
RideM317.00
      08-07-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Just looking at it...I would never replace the F87CS with this car...I would regret it every time I looked back - I do not care about straight line speed at all
Appreciate 4
F87EVO4033.00
      08-08-2023, 11:08 AM   #4
M2CSDaily
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CS

I had a new m2 on order before I cancelled it to buy my CS. I haven't driven the g87 but have spent a lot of time in a g82 competition recently (>1k miles over 10 days) and did not like the feel or the new iDrive setup. Everything felt so much less exciting compared to my DCT car with carbon ceramics. No intention on moving to the new generation, but we'll see what the upcoming M2 CS is like. I don't like how they removed the cup holders in the m3 CS, seems completely unnecessary and inconvenient
Appreciate 5
F87EVO4033.00
akkando5864.50
Tornado1M1211.00
      08-08-2023, 12:54 PM   #5
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

I had an IB M3 Jahre allocation but did not take it. I am (or was I guess) on the M3 CS list. I do struggle with the new interior design, the entire dashboard layout doesn’t seem to work for the way I use my cars. It makes me hold on to the M2 but at the same time I am also not driving it too much, wondering if the time has come to get the money out of the car now.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2023, 07:29 AM   #6
tjlazer
Rep

Based on what they’ve done with the new M2 I don’t see the old ones suddenly depreciating, certainly not the M2 CS model. It is likely the (final) high point for many people that follow the brand.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2023, 12:49 PM   #7
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
I drove the G87 a couple months ago. The interior materials seemed higher in quality. But the screens are absolutely obnoxious. Overall, it actually felt similar to my old B9 RS5. Fast, but heavy with numb steering. Far from a "driver's car", in my opinion.

I will say that in person, the front end and side profile certainly look better than pictures make it out to be. The rear end, however, is somehow uglier in person...

It also cracks me up that despite being heavier and larger, the rear seats feel noticeably more cramped.
      08-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #8
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
I drove the G87 a couple months ago. The interior materials seemed higher in quality. But the screens are absolutely obnoxious. Overall, it actually felt similar to my old B9 RS5. Fast, but heavy with numb steering. Far from a "driver's car", in my opinion.

I will say that in person, the front end and side profile certainly look better than pictures make it out to be. The rear end, however, is somehow uglier in person...

It also cracks me up that despite being heavier and larger, the rear seats feel noticeably more cramped.
They did the same thing with the back seats in the M8. I couldn't believe how little leg room there was for such a large car. I was sad to see them follow this logic with the M2.
      08-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #9
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
I had an IB M3 Jahre allocation but did not take it. I am (or was I guess) on the M3 CS list. I do struggle with the new interior design, the entire dashboard layout doesn’t seem to work for the way I use my cars. It makes me hold on to the M2 but at the same time I am also not driving it too much, wondering if the time has come to get the money out of the car now.
The M2 CS Will continue to depreciate a little, but not as much as any G80 or G82 will. I do think it will curve back up, but it will take many years when everyone realizes 600+HP automatics are not that much fun or at least usable on the road.

That said, I’m paying $2K per year to insure my car and maintenance will start costing me next year. It’s certainly not a financial investment.

Back to the G87, was that one of the BMW driving experience events? I’m curious to test drive one. I could see adding a manual G87 for more daily duty. Unless it knocks my socks off, I’d probably doing something more like a used M550i or M340i. I think there’s more value there since everyone wants the SAVs or full M cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #10
tjlazer
Rep

Just as a follow up during the visit i configured a new M2 with the dealer. The final price offered for a fully kitted G87 (carbon seats/roof, HK etc) came out at 75k euro, so they are already making big discounts vs book price on these (73k basic spec, 85k with track pack) available in October, suggesting they are not flying off the shelves. Even though that’s a bit more like it price wise they then offered 55k for my CS…err no thanks.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      08-20-2023, 07:16 PM   #11
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlazer View Post
I had a good test ride of the new model on Saturday, with an hour or so driving a mix of autoroute, town and some proper twisty fast roads. I drove to my BMW centre in my DCT CS so i could really directly compare between the two.

I won’t bore you with war and peace, simply my impressions are:
1) the tech is a bit overwhelming, i miss simple button presses to change suspension etc
2) steering has considerably less feel and isn’t as sharp as the CS, it felt really dead
3) didn’t feel batshit crazy in sport plus like my CS, in fact it felt down on power against it. I believe they are matched but my CS has the eventuri intake and akrapovic exhaust so maybe they add a few ponies. I mean i drove in full sport and had to shift to 2nd to get it exciting (this is the auto), it just felt silly, more like i ride my ducati than drive a car just because the power is so peaky
4) weight is there, you feel it in the corners and in braking (which again fell short of my CCB on the CS)
5) suspension settings don’t really do anything, sport plus didn’t feel any more direct than comfort
6) interior override is good, i guess the big screen would grow on me, although the shifters felt a bit flimsy and the gearbox is not as sharp as DCT
I left quite disappointed, even ignoring the styling it feels a long way from being a future replacement, i’m not sure a CS version can even fix these flaws.
Keep the CS, BMW had not done enough with this M2 to convince me to change!
Any interest in the G87 M2 CS?
Appreciate 0