BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > *** M2 Competition (S55) support now available with bootmod3 ***

06-18-2020, 03:56 PM   #1035
Dutch Devotion
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80M3 - M2 comp ETA 14.10.2019

got mine from here https://burkhart-engineering.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:00 PM   #1036
mobile23
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxified View Post
I ordered mine through burkhart engineering. Maybe try them?

Edit: I'm located in the US and there were no customs issues for me. Not sure about Canada..
Thanks... Canada is not on their list unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #1037
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Hi all,

What is the most recent update on unlocking/flashing via OBD? I currently have an M2 and contemplating upgrading to an M2C and as silly as this may sound I am reluctant to make the switch unless I know I can easily flash BM3. I understand you can get your DME unlocked via bench method but I much prefer the reassurance of keeping everything at OBD level in the event I need to re-lock the DME etc.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #1038
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Hi all,

What is the most recent update on unlocking/flashing via OBD? I currently have an M2 and contemplating upgrading to an M2C and as silly as this may sound I am reluctant to make the switch unless I know I can easily flash BM3. I understand you can get your DME unlocked via bench method but I much prefer the reassurance of keeping everything at OBD level in the event I need to re-lock the DME etc.

Thanks,
You shall remain reluctant for a quite a fair bit longer. With B58 and S58 ... BM3 probably sees no justification to spend resources on Mar 2019+ S55s
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:33 PM   #1039
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Pip View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
You shall remain reluctant for a quite a fair bit longer. With B58 and S58 ... BM3 probably sees no justification to spend resources on Mar 2019+ S55s
Such a shame : that said, if you go get the DME bench unlocked, is it then possible to lock/unlock via BM3? Or does it remain in an unlocked state going forward? Only possibly to lock back via bench? Or irreversible?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:11 AM   #1040
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Such a shame : that said, if you go get the DME bench unlocked, is it then possible to lock/unlock via BM3? Or does it remain in an unlocked state going forward? Only possibly to lock back via bench? Or irreversible?
Correct. If you get the DME bench unlocked then you can flash BM3 as you normally would. If you have a shop in your area that can do the bench unlock, it only takes about an hour of labor.
      07-04-2020, 12:58 AM   #1041
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

disagree. the s55 install base is massive. not many s58s out there yet. and even fewer ready to void it's warranty.

they've said repeatedly that they are working on it. I see no reason to doubt that statement.

also, it's not just 2019+ s55s, it's any s55 that gets an update, which could be anyone going in for service.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 01:25 AM   #1042
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
Correct. If you get the DME bench unlocked then you can flash BM3 as you normally would. If you have a shop in your area that can do the bench unlock, it only takes about an hour of labor.
To be absolutely clear, that includes 'locking' the DME. So in theory, service dealers have no easy way of seeing that the car is flashed/has been. No error codes relating to DME modification?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #1043
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
I diagree. So many s55 out there and out of warranty. Lots of owners want to flash their used purchased M2,3,4 with s55 engine.

As vehicles get more and more expensive not many owners want to flash their brand new M3 with s58 engine and void their warranty on a 100k USD vehicle.

There is still a huge justification to unlock S55 engine in the M2. The demographic and pricepoint of the M2 makes it a very suitiable car to tune.
Appreciate 2
filet.M2c784.00
Got f1?681.00
      07-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #1044
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
The only local shop in Dallas wants 250 bucks and have the car all day to do a bench unlock.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #1045
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
The only local shop in Dallas wants 250 bucks and have the car all day to do a bench unlock.
That's crazy because my local shop only took an hour. I was there the whole time and watch them do it
      07-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #1046
kyoshi
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I remember posting on here a while back regarding my late 2018 M2C having the crappy 2019 update and when attempting the flash using BM3 it dying on its arse.

I see still no progress other than a bench unlock.. Ultimately during Covid-19 some scumbags stole the car, so up to them now if they wanna crack on lol.

Will hopefully have more joy with my M4
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #1047
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,
To be absolutely clear, that includes 'locking' the DME. So in theory, service dealers have no easy way of seeing that the car is flashed/has been. No error codes relating to DME modification?
For those interested, checked with protuningfreaks and they came back with:

Once the bench unlock is complete you cannot lock and unlock. We used to have that ability but people ended up locking themselves out so we ended up removing that feature.
Appreciate 1
G80BSM283.50
      07-06-2020, 11:31 AM   #1048
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's crazy because my local shop only took an hour. I was there the whole time and watch them do it
Yep that's why i'm just holding off, not too excited about tuning this car anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #1049
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Yep that's why i'm just holding off, not too excited about tuning this car anymore.
What shop was this? Cedar? Surprised Matt is quoting that high.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #1050
GloriousMan1180
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Any update on obd tuning with out doing the bench unlock?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:10 PM   #1051
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriousMan1180 View Post
Never going to happen. It would've already happened I doubt they are even working on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #1052
GloriousMan1180
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

Quote:
Quote:
Never going to happen. It would've already happened I doubt they are even working on it.
Quote:
Quote:
That's sad 😔
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:59 AM   #1053
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
Quote:
For those interested, checked with protuningfreaks and they came back with:

Once the bench unlock is complete you cannot lock and unlock. We used to have that ability but people ended up locking themselves out so we ended up removing that feature.
+1

I found out about this the day I was scheduled to get the DME unlocked but I went ahead with it anyway. Unless you have a major issue, this shouldn't be a problem at the dealerships. (that's just my opinion obviously ).
That said, they later came back to say that you CAN lock the DME again via BM3 but if you need to unlock it again you need to revisit a garage... true? They seem a little confused on their own capabilities...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #1054
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
Yes, they do seem to be a bit confused about this.

From what I've gathered, you can lock the DME but it's more or less like a 'soft' lock - Or as PTF put it "different kind of lock that we can apply via app, whish is used for license tranfer and dealer visit purposes. It won't lock the DME completely".

When you get the bench unlock, they basically change the software version to the one which you can lock/unlock just like the pre-March 2019 DME software. However, If you visit the dealer and they update and/or lock the DME, you'll need to get it bench unlocked again as they'll update the software version to the one that's not unlockable via OBD.

That's what I was able to figure out after multiple emails with PTF.
Ok, so the only way to get it "fully locked" (if I were paranoid about a dealer visit) would be to visit a garage who does bench unlocks and ask them to manually lock it again?

What a nuisance... still holding out hope that PTF will find a way to unlock over OBD but I'm starting to give up. Not sure what to do at this point as I don't feel comfortable making any "hardware" changes to the DME while under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #1055
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Dude you don’t make any “hardware” changes to the DME to unlock it. Its just programming with a tool that connects where the OEM connectors connect that’s all.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #1056
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Dude you don’t make any “hardware” changes to the DME to unlock it. Its just programming with a tool that connects where the OEM connectors connect that’s all.
I get that, hence the apostrophe of 'hardware'. I simply mean that my comfort levels differ from:

a. Plug in a OBD cable and essentially transfer software code to the DME plus it's easy to lock again with a similar flash. Vs...
b. Dismantle a section of the car to access the DME whereby the only way to hide what you've done and avoid questions is flashing to stock and locking your DME back to the point it requires dismantling again.
Appreciate 0