BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 more colors?

04-10-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
hpapad01
BMW CCA member and you should be too!
Rep
Drives: DYII E93 M3,540 M-Sport,911C2S

M2 more colors?

I have read a few threads in the forum that next year BMW most likely is going to offer additional colors for the M2 and/or more options.

Although my wish is to have more base color selection available my question is why not today vs the future.

What difference would it make to have more base color options in future production runs from the technical or infrastructure point of view that BMW cannot do today? Keep in mind, I'm excluding the 'Individual' program.

Just curious. Any thoughts?
      04-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
I have read a few threads in the forum that next year BMW most likely is going to offer additional colors for the M2 and/or more options.

Although my wish is to have more base color selection available my question is why not today vs the future.

What difference would it make to have more base color options in future production runs from the technical or infrastructure point of view that BMW cannot do today? Keep in mind, I'm excluding the 'Individual' program.

They won't offer more colors and the threads have all said that. So I have no idea where you got that from.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #3
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

What colour do you want? I was lucky enough that my choice is one of the four.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01

If plant capacity at Leipzig is increased, it may be more likely additional colors are offered, but all references to date have been only the four.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
They won't offer more colors and the threads have all said that. So I have no idea where you got that from.
It was just a thought after reading the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem3fan View Post
As usual, I'm not pleased with the boring or poor color options.
Shouldn't they add more colors along the line? I remember that some M cars had new colors available year after year. Maybe the facelift will have more color choices.

I'm sure there are more... the point is why only four colors and not six or eight? I'm just trying to understand the from the production point of view what's the difficulty?
      04-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #6
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
It was just a thought after reading the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem3fan View Post
As usual, I'm not pleased with the boring or poor color options.
Shouldn't they add more colors along the line? I remember that some M cars had new colors available year after year. Maybe the facelift will have more color choices.

I'm sure there are more... the point is why only four colors and not six or eight? I'm just trying to understand the from the production point of view what's the difficulty?
As someone who is getting their car next week more colors would be great. The reason why the only have 4 is that it is made with the same mentality as the 1m that only had 3 colors. Also both only have one interior option.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

I think many things for future M2s are based on the gauged interest of this intro year. BMW is probably playing it safe and wants to see how well it sells before making any adjustments for 2017 and beyond.

I know the plant it is being made in now has limited capabilities for paint choices (from what I read, at least that's true for indv. colors), but I don't see any reason they can't add more colors or change it up. This is a large company which manufactures a large amount of cars. Every other model pretty much has 7-13 colors available. They can do it and I think they will at least offer something else next year. Correct me if I am wrong, but the M2 is the only model which has only 4 colors. And they are safe colors except for LBB.

If BMW really wants to say they are all about enthusiast cars, then the M2 is right at the top, and they should offer more colors, because I believe they are lying if they say they can't.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
What colour do you want? I was lucky enough that my choice is one of the four.
It is not final yet, however, BSM most likely will be my choice, although LLB is a possibility.

But this is what I really like to have in a factory color:
Attached Images

04-10-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
It is not final yet, however, BSM most likely will be my choice, although LLB is a possibility.

But this is what I really like to have in a factory color:
I agree... Got to have a proper yellow or red in a sports car!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

When they can charge more for individual colors and there are buyers going for that, why would BMW add any standard colors?
      04-10-2016, 10:47 PM   #11
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Isn't Leipzig changing their colour palettes for all the models? I remember reading somewhere that they're going to axe a few of the older colours as well as a few of the lesser selling colours.

Most of the colours available at the Leipzig plant are ugly, unflattering old people colours. Think James May, but 40 years from now. Brown.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
When they can charge more for individual colors and there are buyers going for that, why would BMW add any standard colors?
Individual isn't an option at that plant right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #13
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Just because someone writes on a website that more colors and options will be available that doesn't mean that will actually happen. Let's look at it from BMW's perspective. Pretty much every dealer has a waiting list of customers willing to buy these cars with the options and colors they are offering. Under those circumstances what is the business case that can be made for them adding any additional variables that they would have to deal with in the supply chain?

I think it is a safe bet that we won't see any changes for the 2017 model year. I would love for some more colors to be offered but I don't see any chance of that happening.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

All I know is that someone will be getting kicked in the shin if VO or Sakhir orange is offered in June!
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2016, 10:56 PM   #15
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stren
Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Individual isn't an option at that plant right now.
Also, one possible reason of many plausible ones,
Adding standard colors has to make economic sense, e.g. not slow production if more money is not made with more colors. If 100% of production made available for sale is sold, adding standard colors without raising prices for standard colors or the base price does not make economic sense.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:05 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Let's add some rational thought to this thread...

HOW MANY COLORS HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR THE M3 and M4 SINCE PRODUCTION BEGAN?

It's available in a color palette just slightly larger than the M2. Basically the same gray, white, black and in this case two blues ( calling Silverstone blue ) and the only reddish hue was removed from production.

The only colors added for the M4 have been the optional colors for the M4 GTS.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #17
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

[QUOTE=Twix;19734586]

Most of the colours available at the Leipzig plant are ugly, unflattering old people colours. Think James May, but 40 years.Brown.

I don't know, " Anthracite Brown Metallic " would look pretty good on the M2
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #18
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I would still get black regardless of color additions unless they offered yas marina blue. Yas marina blue AND a sunroof? Then I would

04-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #19
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

110% complete speculations. There are a gazillion threads like this. If you are waiting for the perfect color, chances are, you'll miss out on even getting an M2. Just saying.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I'm sure there are mm just trying to understand the from the production point of view what's the difficulty?
I was at another manufacturer for a few decades and spent lots of time in plants. One of the major issues with color complexity is floor space. The front and rear fascias are unique and are painted at the supplier who produces and sends them to Leipzig just-in-time/in-sequence. Even so, the plant maintains (usually in the biz) about a 4-6 hour supply on-hand. And, the line layout was designed with certain space for the station where fascias are attached to the body-in-white after they come from the paint booth. So, adding M2 fascias in more than a few limited colors requires more space which may not be available at that station. The fascias come in racks which take up a good bit of room and need to be within reasonable reach of the line operator at that station.

Also, given the anticipated M2 volume, BMW has likely calculated that this few number of colors will satisfy almost all demand, and losses due to color would be minimal, so there is cost but little upside to increasing the palette at launch. The more colors, the lower the rate on the exclusive LBB color, which takes up a paint gun, or shares one with gun purging/cleaning (not free!) each time a batch is needed. Loss of wasted, stale paint is also a concern, so by keeping color choices low, the effective rate of each, notably LBB as an exclusive, goes up, keeping the paint inventory fresh. Stale paint does get thrown out after continued stirring no longer keeps it usable.

Hope that helps shed some light!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #21
hpapad01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I was at another manufacturer for a few decades and spent lots of time in plants. One of the major issues with color complexity is floor space. The front and rear fascias are unique and are painted at the supplier who produces and sends them to Leipzig just-in-time/in-sequence. Even so, the plant maintains (usually in the biz) about a 4-6 hour supply on-hand. And, the line layout was designed with certain space for the station where fascias are attached to the body-in-white after they come from the paint booth. So, adding M2 fascias in more than a few limited colors requires more space which may not be available at that station. The fascias come in racks which take up a good bit of room and need to be within reasonable reach of the line operator at that station.

Also, given the anticipated M2 volume, BMW has likely calculated that this few number of colors will satisfy almost all demand, and losses due to color would be minimal, so there is cost but little upside to increasing the palette at launch. The more colors, the lower the rate on the exclusive LBB color, which takes up a paint gun, or shares one with gun purging/cleaning (not free!) each time a batch is needed. Loss of wasted, stale paint is also a concern, so by keeping color choices low, the effective rate of each, notably LBB as an exclusive, goes up, keeping the paint inventory fresh. Stale paint does get thrown out after continued stirring no longer keeps it usable.

Hope that helps shed some light!
I really appreciate you the taking the time to respond in detail. Yes, now it does makes sense from the technical/logistical point of view. Thank you!