BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > History lesson on market adjustments, I8

02-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

History lesson on market adjustments, I8

I was searching around looking for something on BMW's policy on dealers charging market adjustments. I stumbled upon a post just over a year ago some guy paid a 100k market adjustment to get one of the first I8's. As we all know today you can buy I8's all day for under MSRP. I doubt anyone here would bite on the 10k market adjustment crap some dealers are charging but we should all be aware that biting on a market adjustment is bad investment for a multi year production car.

Personally I have written off my local dealer for this market adjustment BS and their evasive answers on how they will handle their allocations. I see that as a dealer looking at short term profits over relationships. Too bad because my wife is finishing medical school this year and in addition to the M2 we will be buying something for her also in the next year. Over her career I am sure we will own a lot of cars but we won't be buying them from our local BMW dealer.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #2
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I was searching around looking for something on BMW's policy on dealers charging market adjustments. I stumbled upon a post just over a year ago some guy paid a 100k market adjustment to get one of the first I8's. As we all know today you can buy I8's all day for under MSRP. I doubt anyone here would bite on the 10k market adjustment crap some dealers are charging but we should all be aware that biting on a market adjustment is bad investment for a multi year production car.

Personally I have written off my local dealer for this market adjustment BS and their evasive answers on how they will handle their allocations. I see that as a dealer looking at short term profits over relationships. Too bad because my wife is finishing medical school this year and in addition to the M2 we will be buying something for her also in the next year. Over her career I am sure we will own a lot of cars but we won't be buying them from our local BMW dealer.
That is the only way to do it. Too bad there are idiots out there that don't mind paying the market adjustment. Even though they have more money than sense it would be nice if they would realize that they are screwing other people when they pay that. Oh well.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

The people that can pay way over MSRP do not care about you or how it hurts you. They do not care that a car can be purchased for less later on.
      02-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #4
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:

I concur 100%, I am willing to wait on my M2 rather than succumb to unscrupulous business practices and will not deal with a local dealer that tried to charge a $5k premium! They even tried to justify this piss poor business practice by saying others are charging $10-15k over, so they decided to "Only" charge 5K. I called BS and I'm now 3rd on a list with another local dealer ( one of three who will not charge more than MSRP).

We need to stand together and not pay more than MSRP!
      02-07-2016, 10:55 PM   #5
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

It's just supply vs demand....and some people are willing to pay that price ...

Sometimes it's an imagine thing....like hey look at me...

Just like a million people are stupid enough to pay for 300 sunglasses
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:

Paying over msrp is a bad deal but getting it msrp is good. The M2 will hold its value pretty good compared to other cars.

Also you cant compare the I8 because it has a way smaller market and demand. But I get your point, paying over MSRP is not a good investment. But for some, money is not a problem, and the purchase not seen as an investment.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I can only think of one circumstance under which I'd pay a market adjustment for a car - namely dad wanted a car in advance of starting chemo or something like that. Aside from such a crazy circumstance it's just throwing money away.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
The people that can pay way over MSRP do not care about you or how it hurts you. They do not care that a car can be purchased for less later on.
Yep. A dealer doesn't really care about making/keeping relationships with you unless you can maintain a relationship with their finance division. It's all politics, OP. Don't sweat it.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #9
M Heart
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I understand some of you/us car enthusiast are upset about the mark up some, if not most dealerships will have on the M2. But unfortunately that's very common on the auto industry when it comes down to the old supply and demand. Yes, the OP is absolutely right regarding the i8 and launch going for ridiculous amounts of money over MSRP for those customers that must have it and be one of the first ones. And like David1 stated, people who have the financial means to do it or bought it, they careless if someone is upset that or messing up the market nor look back and say "Dang it, if I only waited". They pay the price, enjoy the product, and move on with their life. Same came be said about the new Land Rover Range Rover. Back when I was looking into them (at launch) they were going for at least $15k over MSRP and there was a 6 month waiting list. But there were/is plenty of people who did care and just had to have it so paid the price. It does suck for us, but now to go out and call such people stupid, I don't think so. They just put more value into their time to get want they want when they want as to just enjoy and move on with life since money obviously is not the issue. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury lol
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

IMO, people who post on this forum (and other BMW forums) are different.
In this sense: To forum posters, how much you pay for a car determines how satisfied you are with the car itself. So, what is paid for a car is just as important to posters as the color, the performance characteristics, etc.
The payment "satisfaction" I'm referring to manifests it self in threads (and there are lots of'em) in which, for example, a poster gloats (justifiably, IMO) about how he/she got the car for ED invoice , or invoice or even below invoice. In many cases, the aim of these posters is to subtly convey their skill in pulling one off over some unsuspecting dealer. In the end, it's declared a very satisfying purchase and the dealer, a "friend."
If that same dealer were to charge MSRP+ for a car, my guess is: frustration and name calling. This relationship between cost & satisfaction, IMO, is less evident in the Porsche world and non existent in the Ferrari world.
As an aside, I have never read a post in which a poster revealed he/she paid a "market adjustment." I suspect that revelation would be considered too embarrassing and probably subject the writer to severe criticism by his/her fellow posters.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
IMO, people who post on this forum (and other BMW forums) are different.
In this sense: To forum posters, how much you pay for a car determines how satisfied you are with the car itself. So, what is paid for a car is just as important to posters as the color, the performance characteristics, etc.
The payment "satisfaction" I'm referring to manifests it self in threads (and there are lots of'em) in which, for example, a poster gloats (justifiably, IMO) about how he/she got the car for ED invoice , or invoice or even below invoice. In many cases, the aim of these posters is to subtly convey their skill in pulling one off over some unsuspecting dealer. In the end, it's declared a very satisfying purchase and the dealer, a "friend."
If that same dealer were to charge MSRP+ for a car, my guess is: frustration and name calling. This relationship between cost & satisfaction, IMO, is less evident in the Porsche world and non existent in the Ferrari world.
As an aside, I have never read a post in which a poster revealed he/she paid a "market adjustment." I suspect that revelation would be considered too embarrassing and probably subject the writer to severe criticism by his/her fellow posters.
Yes, most of the ppl in the forums does not fit in the general buyers archive in many cases, nothing new there. But to say that forum ppl are exeptional at haggling or care more about price than other is totally wrong.... My father is 62, he barely uses the internet and for him its all about haggling/price discount in the end. So, he chooses the car he likes(color, characteristics etc) and THEN tries to get it as cheap as possible, nothing exeptional to forum ppl. This is just simple business sense(good business sense).

And forum ppl are more aware(because they share experiances with each other). And everyone wants to make a good deal, right? Im sure that if my father was to hear that he payed 5k more for the same car, than everyone else, he would regret his purchase and be upset, "unfriend" the dealer or salesman.

And ofc its a pleasure doing business with a dealer thats giving you a good price, and the oppsite with a dealer charging you alot more than others(so they can make a bigger profit on your behalf). Again not just forum ppl, forum ppl just share this experiance alot more.

Have you ever meet a porsche or ferrari owner? (my father is one of them) I think most of these guys make and think about better deals all the time, thats how they got to buying a porsche/ferrari.

There are ofc many other that dont care, but what im saying is, forum ppl are not exeptional at everything.

People in all socialmedia dont usualy post negative things about themselves.

BR

Last edited by Makman; 02-13-2016 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #12
dt34
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo MC, i3

I've been following the i8 market on and off and it is crazy how things have changed. I checked this morning and there were 860 cars i8's for sale. I bet in a year or 2 I will be able to get a pretty good deal on one.

We are currently leasing an i3 for next to nothing cause it's a bev. Pretty sure that car wont be worth anything when I turn it in. The battery tech is moving so fast, these cars are more like laptops than cars.

Past: BMW E36 M3,BMW E92 M3,Audi RS5,
Lotus Exige S,Lotus Evora S
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #13
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Personally I have written off my local dealer for this market adjustment BS and their evasive answers on how they will handle their allocations. I see that as a dealer looking at short term profits over relationships.
I suspect your local dealer is the same as mine, and I couldn't agree with you more. I bought my first BMW from them in 1999 when they were Don Mackey - they were an honest locally owned dealer back then. I bought two more BMWs from them but not my last two and not the F80 I'm ordering for ED. They won't even consider ED for M cars.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I suspect your local dealer is the same as mine, and I couldn't agree with you more. I bought my first BMW from them in 1999 when they were Don Mackey - they were an honest locally owned dealer back then. I bought two more BMWs from them but not my last two and not the F80 I'm ordering for ED. They won't even consider ED for M cars.
They definitely have an attitude that I haven't experienced from any other BMW dealer. All of the others I have talked to are pretty straight forward. Are you planning on getting an M2 also??
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
They definitely have an attitude that I haven't experienced from any other BMW dealer. All of the others I have talked to are pretty straight forward. Are you planning on getting an M2 also??
I was going to, but it looks like I'll get the F80 if all goes as planned and reassess the market in the few years. This summer is a good time for me to do an ED, and it wasn't coming together for the M2. I'm keeping my M5 and Z4M coupe forever, but will be more flexible with this new car. I want to semi-retire the M5 as a DD after > 11 years, in part to keep the miles down, in part to try out some new kit. If the M2 is as good as its potential, I may trade the F80 for one in a few years. Or, if the F80 deal doesn't work out, I just may wait for the M2...good choices.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 12:54 AM   #16
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

I cannot understand the thought process behind people paying significantly over MSRP for newly released cars. Or anything else high value for that matter. I don't mean the very wealthy. If you're a multi-millionaire then 10k is nothing. The act of blowing 10k in order to be first in line probably makes them feel better about themselves.

What I don't get is people who pay way over the odds who aren't swimming in cash. When I put myself in their shoes I don't understand the novelty about being the first person to own a mass produced car. Within days or weeks hundreds of other people will have the same car. Like OP said, in a year you will probably pay way under MSRP.

Is it purely a 'Look at me I have a new rare car'?

Like most here I wouldn't pay a penny over MSRP. I'd rather wait a year when all the fanfare has died down.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #17
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

As long as you realize the car business needs you more than you need them, you can always strike a killer deal. And then maybe you just service at your local store.

You are the boss...
You're the boss because you can fire the entire dealership buy spending your money elsewhere.

Quote:

Appreciate 1
      02-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #18
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I saw a brand new 2015 i8 at long beach BMW yesterday. They were doing $20k off msrp without even negotiating.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Thats is because every dealer has at least 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I saw a brand new 2015 i8 at long beach BMW yesterday. They were doing $20k off msrp without even negotiating.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #20
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
still though $20k off was like 17% off sticker.

like M4s and such maybe were $1500 off. i mean if somehow we get 17% off sticker on the M2 we'll know no one wants it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #21
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007
Quote:
still though $20k off was like 17% off sticker.

like M4s and such maybe were $1500 off. i mean if somehow we get 17% off sticker on the M2 we'll know no one wants it.
That's a good deal but it's heavily subsidized by BMW. I wonder how it looks on a 4 year lease w in fees out of pocket?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #22
hans007
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's a good deal but it's heavily subsidized by BMW. I wonder how it looks on a 4 year lease w in fees out of pocket?
To be fair it was cheaper because it was a leftover 2015 model. They still have left over 2015s so it must not be selling well
Appreciate 0