BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > 10 M2s vs the 911R

03-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #23
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I like it that the 911R is missing the wing - it is a little more "stealth" if that's possible in a 6 figure car.
Very true. The reason why I love GT3 RS's is that awesome spoiler in the back. I am not even a spoiler person either. On the GT3's its looks badass.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I like it that the 911R is missing the wing - it is a little more "stealth" if that's possible in a 6 figure car.
I just wish they offered more than 2 boring colors. And the M2 owners thought they had it bad with color selection...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
flyaway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: entry level M car,nothing more

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I just wish they offered more than 2 boring colors.
I'm sure the ones that were really in the market and got the 911R are much less disappointed...
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #26
v8ksn
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalrocks View Post
let me educate you a little cause clearly you can't tell the difference or knows anything about any cars.

Ferrari, lambo, p1 and all true super cars are all MR meaning mid-engine. the engine is between the two axles, and with tranny sitting behind it.

some may argue a car like c7 and viper are mid engine cars since the engine is between the two axles, I am not going to get into that right now.

all 911s are rear engines meaning engine is completely behind the rear axle.
it is a stupid retarded design b/c the rotational inertia is way to great. every time you turn (the pivot is obviously at the front wheel) the tail just want to go wide and carrying that passive piece of engine weight with it causing severe oversteer.

what you are paying is for porsche to fix this stupid design. finally after 40+ years they seem to get it under control, somewhat.

get it now?
I guess from reading your post that you have never driven a 911.

The 911 is THE most involving sports car I have ever driven. The weight over the rear axle aids traction and the feeling of the weight shifting around (and managing that weight distribution) is one of the key attractive features about the car.

The 911 is an epic epic car. Unfortunately Porsche seem to have 'engineered out' this feeling in the 991 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #27
epinfren
Rep
Drives: 10AE Miata

Quote:
all porsches are so overrated and overpriced lmao

viper (acr or not), c7 grand sport, gt350r are all n/a 6MT, all lightweight, they are for sure more unique and in most cases, way more capable than this over priced beetle++. from pure track time, to sound track, to cylinder count, torque etc.

Porsche fan boys need to get their brain checked out, paying 200k for a vw beetle is just crazy.
Didn't you guys know 3800 lbs is considered lightweight now? LOL! That porky 3500 lb M2 must be a stripper track car then.

The 2300 lb ND Miata is like my old Big Wheel when I was a kid.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 07:52 AM   #28
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
chill bro.
beetle ++'s engine is at the wrong place.
unique? maybe.
stupid? for sure.

There is nothing wrong with c7/viper, where the engine is entirely or mostly behind the front axle.

as I said, 911 is just an over priced 1960s beetle, and the people who paid massive amount of $$ for it, are just pure stupid.

sure, 911s are lighter but they also have less torque and a smaller engine. those v8s v10s are no joke in terms of torque. more weight and more torque I call that a wash.
And yet Porsche continues to thrive and pioneer new technology with race/street car rear wheel steering and kicking the shit out of a viper or mustang on a track so what exactly is your point with a mere jealous overplayed hater "its a beetle" statement? Well that beetle has won more cups and races then any viper ever has. The pedigree is there regardless of price.

Porsche gave you a front engine car, they brought exclusive product here to the states with what you speak of with "v8" engines, yet the car you speak of with its power plant in the ass end still survives.

They gave you, and are still giving you a "mid engine" car right? Arguably so that this is the "correct place for any true race/sports car due to center of gravity right? And yet the car with the engine in the back survives. Not only survives and brings the soul it always aimed to provide but it outsells the cheaper cayman/boxter by 3/1.

A viper is a pile of Chrysler shit with a pickup engine if you want to compare a beetle to a Porsche.
Porsche not only kicks the shit out of it on track, it does so on the every day livability as well. Especially with the wide range of 911's in the offering. I'd take a base 911 before I'd ever consider a viper. The pedigree is there not sure why the engine being in the back bothers you so much. Its unique and if you don't want to pay that much for a Porsche then heck don't. But many people wouldn't pay 120k for a god damn viper and them asking that much money is the real travesty, so much that the new 2016 exact same car as a 2015 costs 15k less all of a sudden...imagine that..whats that tell you.

I'd pick a Gt350 over a viper too. Bespoke motor, 7:28 ring time, what more does anyone want at 61k. Cant argue that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80seven View Post
how is the engine in the wrong place? just cuz its in the back?

last time i check ferrari, and lambos all have their engine in the back.

let me educate you a little, the engine being in the back allows for better traction on rwd cars. a lot of the engine weight is placed on the rear axle to give it better traction.
this ultimately results in better throttle response, better weight distribution, and at the end of the day, a better sports car.
People rant because they just want to. Cant explain comments like the engine is in the wrong place and trash a car that is more iconic then anything on the road with the pedigree and wins it brings to the table in the last 55 years. Best anyone can muster is well its an overpriced "beetle" that just shows me they missed the point when they 1st laid eyes on the car when they were 11 years old.

I will never understand fully peoples logic of just purely trashing something to trash it I guess. Its like saying American cars are shit and they are cheap when indeed its not so and have made amazing strides in the last decade. Is a Corvette shit because the engine is in the front and uses a 97 year old pushrod technology...umm NO.

Can we all appreciate the Viper and how cool it looks. Hell yeah. It kicked some ass in the 90's @ Lemans. The GTS was Shelby's comback car. All cars have their perfections and imperfections, and there is a place for both or all sports cars of today. Something for everyone. I'll just end it there.

Last edited by Jadar; 03-19-2016 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #29
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Don't mind this kid, he is the resident 911 troll on BMW forums.

The 911 RSR just won two championships last year in WEC and IMSA. The pinnacle of sports car racing in the world.

Just find it odd that he thinks the 911 platform is so worthless, yet it beat every mid-engine and front-engine car racing last year. Cars according to him are supposedly built on superior chassis layouts.
Yeah lol its so worthless its been around for almost 60 years and outlasted countless front/mid/electric piles of junk. And like you said won more cups then I can count. Oh my but the engine is in the wrong place what ever will we do?

Ill take an engine in the left front fender if it sounds like that, looks like a 911 and wins trophies its entire existence. I can just buy a therapist to help me cope with people making fun of me because my engine is in the "wrong place" so I can fit in socially on a better and more comfortable scale.