BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

12-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #397
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Does the VRSF 5" HD require any modifications to install.
I don't believe so but their larger ones do even though they say that they don't.
On my particular vehicle, the CSF fit great.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:51 PM   #398
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
I don't believe so but their larger ones do even though they say that they don't.
On my particular vehicle, the CSF fit great.
The 6.5" Competition does not require additional modification and it will outperform the suggested CSF in both cooling capacity and airflow.

12-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #399
thecartel
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
The 6.5" Competition does not require additional modification and it will outperform the suggested CSF in both cooling capacity and airflow.
Good to know, will be ordering it.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #400
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecartel View Post
Good luck! Let us know how you make out. We love pictures, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:59 AM   #401
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecartel View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #402
3t3p
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

In UK here, forge FMIC tempting me as same price as CSF and want to upgrade stock plastic pipes with the forge ones so compatibility should be great.

Or would people make a case for CSF?
Litchfield in UK use the forge in their tuning package and NVM and evolve seem to like CSF.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #403
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
In UK here, forge FMIC tempting me as same price as CSF and want to upgrade stock plastic pipes with the forge ones so compatibility should be great.

Or would people make a case for CSF?
Litchfield in UK use the forge in their tuning package and NVM and evolve seem to like CSF.
The forge one is tiny - it's not really much larger than stock.

I have recently bought a Do88 ic in the UK. Quality seems very good but not yet fitted it. Search earlier in this thread and someone has posted iat logs for it.

I personally think it'll be better than csf (faster flowing and slightly lighter) but for less money - in almost all other respects they are very similar.

You'd be better off with do88, wagner or csf than the forge.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #404
AmuroRay
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Did I miss something with CSF that makes it the hot ticket?
      12-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #405
3t3p
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
The forge one is tiny - it's not really much larger than stock.

I have recently bought a Do88 ic in the UK. Quality seems very good but not yet fitted it. Search earlier in this thread and someone has posted iat logs for it.

I personally think it'll be better than csf (faster flowing and slightly lighter) but for less money - in almost all other respects they are very similar.

You'd be better off with do88, wagner or csf than the forge.
Thanks for the input. Eyeballing the forge I did wonder how exactly it was larger than the stock one, I know it's not stepped like the CSF (and not saying being stepped is only way to increase area) from photos.

Not heard of do88? Is it an eBay one?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:50 PM   #406
2020M2Competition
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Not heard of do88?
https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/hose...f87/index.html
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #407
3t3p
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Thanks, I like their presentation of data.

Think any lag will be a problem with the do88?

In theory will all pipe upgrades be compatible with all intercoolers that are designed for stock mounting/oem replacement?

Or are there compatibility issues to be aware of?

So could I run forge pipes with a do88 FMIC or a CSF intercooler with FTP pipes etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #408
AmuroRay
Captain
Rep

Quote:

In theory will all pipe upgrades be compatible with all intercoolers that are designed for stock mounting/oem replacement?

So could I run forge pipes with a do88 FMIC or a CSF intercooler with FTP pipes etc?
I hate when people just bring up random brands, and just act like ĎBlank is names brand, it has to be goodí

There was a thread where someone had the full do88 coolers - oil and intercooler. They still got the engine too hot, and the car started to pull power.

FTP hot and cold line pipes arenít better than the stock parts, when is the last time anyone mentioned they failed?

The FTP inlet is the same size as stock, a true upgrade and power adder.

Just assuming because itís a X brand doesnít guarantee anything is actually good
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #409
3t3p
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I hate when people just bring up random brands, and just act like ĎBlank is names brand, it has to be goodí

There was a thread where someone had the full do88 coolers - oil and intercooler. They still got the engine too hot, and the car started to pull power.

FTP hot and cold line pipes arenít better than the stock parts, when is the last time anyone mentioned they failed?

Just assuming because itís a X brand doesnít guarantee anything is actually good
Get a grip buddy
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 10:44 AM   #410
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post

I have fitted the do88 now and have a forge cp that fitted to it without issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 04:11 PM   #411
AmuroRay
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Get a grip buddy
The FTP pipes are a waste, a Pure inlet is a real
Upgrade.

One person who did the whole Do88 still had cooling issues.

Neither one of these statements are false, and Iím trying to help make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:36 AM   #412
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post

do88 aren't a random brand - they have been established in Europe for some time, but have only more recently turned their attention to the BMW marque.

The quality of the intercooler they sent to me was really excellent.

Not sure if it is the same person you are referring to, but there was a guy that had higher coolant temps after fitting do88 parts, but that was later confirmed to be a bleeding issue - once re-bled, temps were good (in track conditions):
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=333

Agree that the FTP inlet probably isn't worth it, compared to Pure's (which I plan to fit at some point). Can't comment on the FTP cp and boost pipes, but any CP is better than the stock item to avoid a blow out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #413
AmuroRay
Captain
Rep

Quote:
do88 aren't a random brand - they have been established in Europe for some time, but have only more recently turned their attention to the BMW marque.

The quality of the intercooler they sent to me was really excellent.

Not sure if it is the same person you are referring to, but there was a guy that had higher coolant temps after fitting do88 parts, but that was later confirmed to be a bleeding issue - once re-bled, temps were good (in track conditions):
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=333

Agree that the FTP inlet probably isn't worth it, compared to Pure's (which I plan to fit at some point). Can't comment on the FTP cp and boost pipes, but any CP is better than the stock item to avoid a blow out.
Again, nothing negative about the brands themselves, just they may not be the best option.

This was the thread on the Do88 stuff -
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7#post24952747

Last edited by AmuroRay; 12-29-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #414
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

My questions are more about the difference in prices between brands. Intercoolers range from $300 to $800.

Other than users comments, there is no way to determine why such huge disparities. And even then it is more about preferences.

I would look toward a vendor like EPH to help clear up this. In addition if EPH considers one brand inferior then I would hope they stop selling it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #415
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
My questions are more about the difference in prices between brands. Intercoolers range from $300 to $800.

Other than users comments, there is no way to determine why such huge disparities. And even then it is more about preferences.

I would look toward a vendor like EPH to help clear up this. In addition if EPH considers one brand inferior then I would hope they stop selling it.
Quote:
I wish the answer was this easy but lots of factors play a role with pricing including type of intercooler (tube & fin vs bar and plate), fin density, finish quality and wields, R&D and testing performed in the design stages, manufacturing country & the profit margin set by the manufacturer

Quote:
Thats why data is so important. Look for manufacturer or user posted info on temp control, pressure air drop, recovery and weight of the intercooler.

Truth is, cheaper intercoolers do not target the same audience as the more expensive ones. It depends on your mods, HP, etc...
Thats why companies like VRSF and Wagner Tuning offer different tiers of intercoolers.

If you need help picking the correct intercooler, send me your modifications and i can provide you with a few options

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #416
3t3p
Captain
Rep

Do88 seems good for £550. Before that was going to go CSF.

What I meant by listing all the brands is if they are OEM copy at the attachment/mounting ends are they all inherently compatible with each other?

Can I just do charge pipe and turbo inlet or should I also do turbo to Intercooler while at it?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:14 AM   #417
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do88 seems good for £550. Before that was going to go CSF.

What I meant by listing all the brands is if they are OEM copy at the attachment/mounting ends are they all inherently compatible with each other?

Can I just do charge pipe and turbo inlet or should I also do turbo to Intercooler while at it?
In theory, everything should be intercompatible as both pipe and intercooler manufacturers are aiming to interface with stock parts.

Most people just do the charge pipe and don't change the stock boost pipe. (I have this setup now)

However, if you are doing the inlet, then you really are trying to maximise all air flow, so an aftermarket boost pipe would ensure the least restriction out of the turbo and the best setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #418
AmuroRay
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In theory, everything should be intercompatible as both pipe and intercooler manufacturers are aiming to interface with stock parts.

Most people just do the charge pipe and don't change the stock boost pipe. (I have this setup now)

However, if you are doing the inlet, then you really are trying to maximise all air flow, so an aftermarket boost pipe would ensure the least restriction out of the turbo and the best setup.
A Pure inlet is larger than stock - I think another manufacture is making something similar, but the FTP stuff is the same as stock.

I've never heard or seen anyone show the a aftermarket boost pipe is larger/better flowing than stock.