BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

08-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #331
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
No charge pipe or other changes to the car at all.

I haven't felt any differences in response or anything. That doesn't mean there could be some differences but I haven't been able to feel any so if there is it must be very small.
Cheers.

I definitely recommend doing the charge pipe - it'll give you insurance against a blow out/cracked pipe and also improve the air flow. I wasn't expecting anything, but noticed improved throttle response from the charge pipe alone.

I did try do88 charge pipe, but theyve had a batch of charge pipes released with too much paint on the throttle body end internal surface - I could not get it to go on at all - now with another brand (forge),although I wish the do88 had fitted as I could see it was going to be slightly better for max air flow.
Charge pipe might help if it's bigger ID and smoother bore - both features of ER boost pipes hence why I opted for ER.

Pure hi Flo inlet pipe definitely helps offset any lagginess from large IC.

I was dubious about GFB DV+ initially and at <75% throttle and under say 4500rpm it's negligible. At WOT and in top third of rev range - response is better than stock (diaphragm may flutter) at higher boost and higher rpms which might prompt DME to react.
      08-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #332
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Great. You will prob be fine, but if you do struggle with fitment, sand/wire wool off some paint inside the throttle body end, particularly if/where there is overspray where the seal goes - I didn't have enough time to do this myself as I was up against the clock, so just fitted another brand.
Changing the downpipe was straight forward and easy to get to.

But seeing where the charge pipe is located, it looked like way more job to change. Any good hints, do's and don'ts?? I have the kit with the main hard tube and only one soft tube, not the kit with two soft tubes.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:14 AM   #333
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

I was impressed by the lower temperatures the do88 intercooler delivered, especially over many laps. But the oil/water temps were oddly high. Turns out the coolant system hadn't been bled for air.

After bleeding the coolant system the oil/water temps improved. This is a log from yesterday during a timeattack competition. All previous runs have been 100% stock apart from the coolers and IC.

On this log though:
- An Akrapovic catted downpipe has been added
- Stage 2 map BM3!!
- Ambient is up slightly

Pushing really hard, oil now peaks at 125. Perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #334
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT, 2016

Quote:
Quote:
Great. You will prob be fine, but if you do struggle with fitment, sand/wire wool off some paint inside the throttle body end, particularly if/where there is overspray where the seal goes - I didn't have enough time to do this myself as I was up against the clock, so just fitted another brand.
Changing the downpipe was straight forward and easy to get to.

But seeing where the charge pipe is located, it looked like way more job to change. Any good hints, do's and don'ts?? I have the kit with the main hard tube and only one soft tube, not the kit with two soft tubes.
If you've done your own downpipe and intercooler, then you'll be fine doing cp for sure.

You will need to drop out the intercooler so that you can get the oem cp out. It's fairly straight forward -just a bit fiddly at times. Take off the metal plate under the engine to give you more options to get your hands in.
Appreciate 1
MagnusT496.50

09-16-2019, 06:47 AM   #335
thekurt
thekurt
Rep
Drives: M2

Is anyone aware of an install video for the Dinan IC? I got the instruction off the Dinan site but videos seem hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #336
widetyres
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT, 2016

Quote:
I was impressed by the lower temperatures the do88 intercooler delivered, especially over many laps. But the oil/water temps were oddly high. Turns out the coolant system hadn't been bled for air.

After bleeding the coolant system the oil/water temps improved. This is a log from yesterday during a timeattack competition. All previous runs have been 100% stock apart from the coolers and IC.

On this log though:
- An Akrapovic catted downpipe has been added
- Stage 2 map BM3!!
- Ambient is up slightly

Pushing really hard, oil now peaks at 125. Perfect.
Very tempted to get the do88 - my only hesitation is re the weight (~13kg). Do you notice any negative effects from the extra weight at all (where's it's +10kg right on the nose compared to stock)?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #337
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Very tempted to get the do88 - my only hesitation is re the weight (~13kg). Do you notice any negative effects from the extra weight at all (where's it's +10kg right on the nose compared to stock)?
I don't. That doesn't mean someone else might

I know have the charge pipe mounted and run a very nice stage 2 tune for 98 octane from a Swedish tuner (Stertman). And linear pedal maps. Happy!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #338
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

"What to look for before buying an intercooler".

At the top of the list should be to purchase from a manufacturing company that has telephone support. Sometimes you need to talk to a live person and you can resolve an issue in minutes as opposed to days. Also, when you have the manufacturer on the phone, ask them for a list of online approved vendors. Where you purchase can affect your warranty. This applies to intercoolers and any other part you purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:26 PM   #339
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335is Dct

Arm Fmic triuble

Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #340
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in.Intercooler fits in place but the piping just won't connect to the intercooler
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:26 PM   #341
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louayea View Post
Was trying to install the arm Fmic in my n54 but I just can't get the piping to plug in.Intercooler fits in place but the piping just won't connect to the intercooler
Any issues with the factory cooler?

If you have aftermarket piping sometimes you can loosen the rubber couplings, plug the intercooler pipes in, then tighten the rubber collars back up.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #342
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
Any issues with the factory cooler?

If you have aftermarket piping sometimes you can loosen the rubber couplings, plug the intercooler pipes in, then tighten the rubber collars back up.
No no problems it's just a tight fit can't get it in
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #343
shazzy
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

i went with the ER (evolution racewerks) IC =)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #344
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy View Post
When you were connecting the piping did it just slip on?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:59 PM   #345
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is the intercooler pipe too high or is the angle wrong?

Are the pipes stock or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #346
Louayea
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Quote:
Is the intercooler pipe too high or is the angle wrong?

Are the pipes stock or aftermarket?
Stock pipes and I'm pretty sure they can fit it's just hard to connect them in with ur hands
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #347
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazzy View Post
Congrats

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #348
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Planning to install the VSRF 5" intercooler and charge pipe today for my stock M2 with only fabspeed downpipe mod. Plan to do bm3 stage 1 eventually.

Weather is getting cooler here in Vegas but I'm curious to see if I can feel much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #349
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Planning to install the VSRF 5" intercooler and charge pipe today for my stock M2 with only fabspeed downpipe mod. Plan to do bm3 stage 1 eventually.

Weather is getting cooler here in Vegas but I'm curious to see if I can feel much of a difference.
You will feel a difference either way, good luck

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #350
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Wow I can definitely feel the power difference and improved throttle response with the charge pipe.

Mid and top range pulling harder and 3rd and 4th gear never pulled that hard before. Highway driving is actually fun now lol. It almost feels like the power doesn't taper off as much due to better cooling which makes sense as there will be more hot air at higher rpms. Overall I'm impressed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #351
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D CHOI View Post
Wow I can definitely feel the power difference and improved throttle response with the charge pipe.

Mid and top range pulling harder and 3rd and 4th gear never pulled that hard before. Highway driving is actually fun now lol. It almost feels like the power doesn't taper off as much due to better cooling which makes sense as there will be more hot air at higher rpms. Overall I'm impressed

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #352
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
We offer a 5" Performance FMIC, a 6.5" Competition FMIC along with the best performing 6.5" Race FMIC which can support anywhere from 800 to 1000 WHP.

The VRSF 5" Stepped HD will outperform the Wagner Comp 1 and is generally recommended for customers interested in sticking with the OEM turbo. If you're looking to upgrade your turbo in the future, our 6.5" Competition will outperform any of the comparably sized options at a fraction of the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
We now carry the new VRSF 5" Competition intercooler ... Its meant for a performance level in between the standard 5" and the 6" Race

I'm aware the new VRSF 5" intercooler I have is in between their old 5" and 6.5" . VRSF commented saying there are 3 offered but I only see 2.
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-interc...i-n20-n55.html

I don't plan to upgrade turbo, but do plan to run bm3 stage1 but would I still be sufficient enough to run stage2 even tho it's not a 6"+ intercooler? I was concerned with turbo lag with bigger intercooler and didn't really want to push for stage 2 but having the option to qualify with my VRSF 5" Stepped HD would be advantageous. (I don't track car but do pretty aggressive street and highway driving in vegas)

Also all this concern about turbo lag can be negated with a simple tune instead of upgrading turbo inlets?
Appreciate 0