BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > WTF is causing this crazy wheel hop

12-12-2022, 03:41 AM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

WTF is causing this crazy wheel hop

I tried launching my car for the first time albeit in not the best conditions (wet roads, it rained all day today) and it the car was shaking like it was in an earthquake while trying to gain traction then went on fine. I checked codes and nothing out of the ordinary popped up. Is this really because the car was struggling for traction or is this a sign of a bigger problem?

Here's a video from my dashcam of the incident.

I remember this happened with my 330i too when trying to launch in subpar conditions although not to this extent. Here's a video of that:

Please relieve my fears :'(

My new tires (rears) just finished break in (drove 500 miles with them) and they're Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires

Scared to even push the car now

Edit: car is DCT, had DSC off, LC was at around 2700rpm, sport+ mode, transmission in S3 mode, when I tried to launch with D3, it just fell on its face then tried to do a burnout with slight hop at the end

Last edited by turnsignalslol; 12-12-2022 at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 04:50 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
I tried launching my car for the first time albeit in not the best conditions (wet roads, it rained all day today) and it the car was shaking like it was in an earthquake while trying to gain traction then went on fine. I checked codes and nothing out of the ordinary popped up. Is this really because the car was struggling for traction or is this a sign of a bigger problem?

Here's a video from my dashcam of the incident.

I remember this happened with my 330i too when trying to launch in subpar conditions although not to this extent. Here's a video of that:

Please relieve my fears :'(

My new tires (rears) just finished break in (drove 500 miles with them) and they're Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires

Scared to even push the car now

Edit: car is DCT, had DSC off, LC was at around 2700rpm, sport+ mode, transmission in S3 mode, when I tried to launch with D3, it just fell on its face then tried to do a burnout with slight hop at the end
It is highly likely the cause was the diff rotating under the immense torque from the launch. The reason why is bmw only mounted the diff with only 1 rear mounting point allowing it to rotate under heavy load.

The fix to this is to use a dual mount diff bracket to secure it properly for example this: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...on-oe-bushing/

With this kit from turner it allows the diff to be mounted using both OEM mounting locations - which bmw should have used/done from the start but for some reason did not.
      12-12-2022, 06:24 AM   #3
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Have you modified the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:34 PM   #4
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Have you modified the suspension?
No, the car is bone stock.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:26 PM   #5
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
It is highly likely the cause was the diff rotating under the immense torque from the launch. The reason why is bmw only mounted the diff with only 1 rear mounting point allowing it to rotate under heavy load.

The fix to this is to use a dual mount diff bracket to secure it properly for example this: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...on-oe-bushing/

With this kit from turner it allows the diff to be mounted using both OEM mounting locations - which bmw should have used/done from the start but for some reason did not.
Interesting. I remember back when I had a Genesis Coupe it was the same with the diff only being mounted on one spot. So people added the extra mount and ended up cracking/breaking the new mount rather quickly. I'd assume this is a longer lasting solution.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 04:33 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
Interesting. I remember back when I had a Genesis Coupe it was the same with the diff only being mounted on one spot. So people added the extra mount and ended up cracking/breaking the new mount rather quickly. I'd assume this is a longer lasting solution.
This should be ok, I haven't heard of any issues with this upgrade. Also the upgraded bushings should be strong enough to accommodate any increased load from being braced vs. free to rotate slightly. So get the complete kit from turner with the bolts and bushings.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Am I forced to just live with this if I am keeping the car stock? It still has a warranty for over a year so I don't want to mess with any serious components if I can help it.

This f-ing sucks maaaaaaaaaaaaan
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 05:15 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah if you don't want to mod it then you'll have to just deal with it.
      12-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #9
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah if you don't want to mod it then you'll have to just deal with it.
Well this sucks, I guess I won't be launching it very often (or if at all) before warranty expires
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:58 AM   #10
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Tried launching the car today since it wasn’t raining, two times at 2700 rpm’s and 2 times at 3000 rpm’s, car seemed to have less earthquake noises but ambient temperature was around 44-46 degrees fahrenheit and the tires were at around 66-68 degrees. Probably going to stop pushing my luck and just not launch until it gets warmer, but even then, I’m just not having it with this shit man ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 06:12 AM   #11
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

You could create a warranty claim, Show the video and does this happen everytime? If so they may just say fuck it and replace your diff under warranty. What i mean is if it happens all the time then when they test drive it and it happens to them it will be confirmed. Try going to BMW. May just replace your diff bushings and bolt and retorque
      12-18-2022, 11:55 AM   #12
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_MEDUSA View Post
You could create a warranty claim, Show the video and does this happen everytime? If so they may just say fuck it and replace your diff under warranty. What i mean is if it happens all the time then when they test drive it and it happens to them it will be confirmed. Try going to BMW. May just replace your diff bushings and bolt and retorque
I haven't tried launching the car since because I deduced it was due to both faulty design from the factory combined with too cold weather and bad surface leading to shitty traction/wheel hop. I'll try again later maybe today and if the issue is still there, I might mention it to my dealer

Probably not going to launch it today, may just have to wait for warmer weather and more miles on my tires

Past: 2022 330i RWD
2020 M2 Competition DCT

Last edited by turnsignalslol; 12-18-2022 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 01:03 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's a good idea, maybe new bushings will help.

But this is so common on the m2 that I'm not sure.
      12-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #14
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a good idea, maybe new bushings will help.

But this is so common on the m2 that I'm not sure.
Its momentary relief, the research I've done I believe its the bushings that go out giving more play.
      12-18-2022, 01:31 PM   #15
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't tried launching the car since because I deduced it was due to both faulty design from the factory combined with too cold weather and bad surface leading to shitty traction/wheel hop. I'll try again later maybe today and if the issue is still there, I might mention it to my dealer

Probably not going to launch it today, may just have to wait for warmer weather and more miles on my tires
How many miles on the car, like f87source said its preety common on this car, Some have done new bushing for momentary relief but the problem always comes back. If you can swing warranty that would be cool
      12-18-2022, 02:20 PM   #16
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
How many miles on the car, like f87source said its preety common on this car, Some have done new bushing for momentary relief but the problem always comes back. If you can swing warranty that would be cool
Approaching 17k miles, I’ve had the car since 15800

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #17
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Approaching 17k miles, I’ve had the car since 15800
This is definitely pre mature wear, Never heard of it happening this fast. Take it to the dealer. Its a common issue unfortunely on this car and even if they fix it then it may happen again. I haven't experienced this issue yet. Keep us updated but you can buy a diff brace online and its helped others
      12-18-2022, 06:53 PM   #18
turnsignalslol
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely pre mature wear, Never heard of it happening this fast. Take it to the dealer. Its a common issue unfortunely on this car and even if they fix it then it may happen again. I haven't experienced this issue yet. Keep us updated but you can buy a diff brace online and its helped others
Tried launching again today and it only had 1 slight hop but mostly a little wheel spin but otherwise a good launch. Warmer weather and warmer tires do wonders. Not to mention it hasn’t been raining as well. 60F ambient and 80F tires

2020 M2 Competition DCT
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #19
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Been raining quite a bit this recently. On my way to work the road was deserted so I tried it. Wasn't really trying to "launch" just get the wheels to spin for a little and then let off. Got a bit of wheel hop myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #20
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

1. It's super common. People will try to tell you it's not, so don't listen to them because they're clueless.
2. The problem is that it's caused by a balance of many things; the temperature of the tire, the surface, the wear on the tire, etc.
3. This is going to come and go, don't try to "fix" it, just change surfaces/temps.

My car didn't do this bone stock with new stock tires, but then started to, and then it went away again. I'm a details type of guy and I can tell you that I can't figure it out, all I know is that you don't have to do anything, just give it a bit of time and it'll go away.

At present my car breaks away fantastically even with stickier tires (in warm temps, not in Winter), but there are still times that, depending on the surface I'm on or the temp or how wet the surface is it'll do it a bit.

My advice to you is to GET OUT OF IT when it happens. That is all.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      12-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
1. It's super common. People will try to tell you it's not, so don't listen to them because they're clueless.
2. The problem is that it's caused by a balance of many things; the temperature of the tire, the surface, the wear on the tire, etc.
3. This is going to come and go, don't try to "fix" it, just change surfaces/temps.

My car didn't do this bone stock with new stock tires, but then started to, and then it went away again. I'm a details type of guy and I can tell you that I can't figure it out, all I know is that you don't have to do anything, just give it a bit of time and it'll go away.

At present my car breaks away fantastically even with stickier tires (in warm temps, not in Winter), but there are still times that, depending on the surface I'm on or the temp or how wet the surface is it'll do it a bit.

My advice to you is to GET OUT OF IT when it happens. That is all.
It's not only grip related, it's also because the diff is susceptible to rotating as it's only mounted on one side. This is more common when one wheel gets more torque, i.e. one tire getting more grip. This can be more influenced by the factors you listed above.
chris7197334.00
///MPhatic13862.50
      12-19-2022, 06:38 PM   #22
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
It's not only grip related, it's also because the diff is susceptible to rotating as it's only mounted on one side. This is more common when one wheel gets more torque, i.e. one tire getting more grip. This can be more influenced by the factors you listed above.
All I know is that it'll come and go, and in my research I found no real fix for it without altering the dynamics of the handling.
Appreciate 0