jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
The "voluntary" in the phrase refers to BMW voluntarily doing it, rather than being mandated by a rule, law, or agency. You are right, it is not voluntary on our part.
      08-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #332
ILIKEBMW'S
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 528XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Why would they put it in writing ?
Why do you NEED it in writing ?

The car is under warranty... Which is already in writing !?! The consumer affairs person should have offered to send you a new copy of the warranty or directed you to BMWwarrranty.com

You're getting a new diff sometime, whether it blows up while you drive it or not.

At least you have your car to drive rather than having it sitting in a shop?!

Perhaps they should recall yours immediately and put your car in the back parking lot at the back of the line.. And no loaner ..

As far as the terminology, this is indeed a voluntary service campaign..

A " recall " often typically involves another entity ensuring that all buyers are notified regardless of who the end user is.
Sorry mate - I have to say I completely disagree with you - I was told by the Genus that I should not drive the car. Another BMW Dealership next to me said - because I know about the issue, that I'm driving the car at my own risk. The Dealer whom I bought the car from told me - to drive it but not take it to the track. When consumer affairs contacted me - I asked for something in writing because I'm getting conflicting stories and advise. From where I sit, if they stopped delivery / sale on cars sitting in the ports, there more that meets the eye here. BMW claims it to be a "quality" issue - if this is the case, why don't they release the cars. Tells me there's more to the stoppage then they are say - and I bet many other do as well !!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:25 AM   #333
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV861792
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Why would they put it in writing ?
Why do you NEED it in writing ?

The car is under warranty... Which is already in writing !?! The consumer affairs person should have offered to send you a new copy of the warranty or directed you to BMWwarrranty.com

You're getting a new diff sometime, whether it blows up while you drive it or not.

At least you have your car to drive rather than having it sitting in a shop?!

Perhaps they should recall yours immediately and put your car in the back parking lot at the back of the line.. And no loaner ..

As far as the terminology, this is indeed a voluntary service campaign..

A " recall " often typically involves another entity ensuring that all buyers are notified regardless of who the end user is.
Sorry mate - I have to say I completely disagree with you - I was told by the Genus that I should not drive the car. Another BMW Dealership next to me said - because I know about the issue, that I'm driving the car at my own risk. The Dealer whom I bought the car from told me - to drive it but not take it to the track. When consumer affairs contacted me - I asked for something in writing because I'm getting conflicting stories and advise. From where I sit, if they stopped delivery / sale on cars sitting in the ports, there more that meets the eye here. BMW claims it to be a "quality" issue - if this is the case, why don't they release the cars. Tells me there's more to the stoppage then they are say - and I bet many other do as well !!

Wow you are asking WAY too many people.

# Don't Panic! KEEP CALM and read your warranty *contract* rather that calling every possible dealer in town. Glad you raised enough eyebrows to get a call from BMW to help try and calm you down.

are you aware of the Takata issue with airbags? That's an issue where the owners have been advised by the manufacturer to not drive their car. Personally it looks like you want a reason to not drive you car. So just park it.

It sounds like this absolutely is a quality issue. Whatever part was not made to spec and it possibly *could * fail so they are replacing them free of charge. If the item was definitely known to fail then you would have been told to not drive your car ANYWHERE and BMW roadside would have come and picked it up for free so that you wouldn't have an issue while driving it and they could mitigate any damage from the failure as well as ensure that it wouldn't fail and cause you harm, because you would likely then turn around and sue them.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:31 AM   #334
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
The "voluntary" in the phrase refers to BMW voluntarily doing it, rather than being mandated by a rule, law, or agency. You are right, it is not voluntary on our part.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 06:35 AM   #335
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Wow you are asking WAY too many people.

# Don't Panic! KEEP CALM and read your warranty *contract* rather that calling every possible dealer in town. Glad you raised enough eyebrows to get a call from BMW to help try and calm you down.

are you aware of the Takata issue with airbags? That's an issue where the owners have been advised by the manufacturer to not drive their car. Personally it looks like you want a reason to not drive you car. So just park it.
@MRV861792 while worrying about his M2

Don't do it!
Attached Images

08-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #336
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Fwiw, just informed by my sales manager that they've got a tracking number for the replacement differentials, expected to arrive at the dealership tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #337
bobsor
Rep
Drives: M2

Has anyone received a port repaired car yet?

Just wondering if anyone has received a car that was held at a port for repairs and subsequently delivered. My car was supposed to be released from the Oxnard port after repair on August 15, but today I heard from the dealer that the release date has been delayed until September 5. Does this mean they really don't have the parts yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #338
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsor View Post
Just wondering if anyone has received a car that was held at a port for repairs and subsequently delivered. My car was supposed to be released from the Oxnard port after repair on August 15, but today I heard from the dealer that the release date has been delayed until September 5. Does this mean they really don't have the parts yet?
It's possible. Some cars on the M3/M4 forum have been help more weeks now, some up to 1month and still counting...
      08-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #339
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsor
Yikes. My car was released from customs in Oxnard on Monday and is still waiting to go the the VPC. Genius told me the reason is because there's such a backlog of vehicles at the VPC due to the diff issue that they don't have any room for more.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #340
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

My sales guy called with info that my car had changed status and would be enroute from Oxnard on 8/14. He had no info on whether the car had been repaired or if it was to be done at the dealership........................
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 07:21 PM   #341
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

My wife's ED M2 just arrived in Brunswick, Georgia. It will stay there until the differential issue is addressed. The wait is hard... it just got much harder.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #342
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
My wife's ED M2 just arrived in Brunswick, Georgia. It will stay there until the differential issue is addressed. The wait is hard... it just got much harder.
Wha? Just ask if it has any open campaigns? That should suffice, no?
      08-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #343
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Wha? Just ask if it has any open campaigns? That should suffice, no?
I was told by Nick Rodish, a BMW Genius representative, that our M2 is on the "Do Not Deliver" list.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #344
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Fwiw, just informed by my sales manager that they've got a tracking number for the replacement differentials, expected to arrive at the dealership tomorrow.
Great...I haven't heard anything from my guys on 3 days and they're ignoring my calls and emails. Gonna be fun showing up there tomorrow unannounced.

FYI, I'm now in direct talks with a person high up in BMWCA customer service and we have a call scheduled for tomorrow before I surprise my dealer with a visit. Should be fun.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #345
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Impatiently waiting for the details! Thanks for leading the way from all of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Great...I haven't heard anything from my guys on 3 days and they're ignoring my calls and emails. Gonna be fun showing up there tomorrow unannounced.

FYI, I'm now in direct talks with a person high up in BMWCA customer service and we have a call scheduled for tomorrow before I surprise my dealer with a visit. Should be fun.
      08-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #346
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI
Yee haw
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #347
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima

Impatiently waiting for the details! Thanks for leading the way from all of us!

Quote:

Got my diff this morning however, as has been discussed here and on the main thread, they forgot to ship the mounting bolts for it this applies to all cars and is why my guys went quiet for a few days - my parts guy is pissed haha. Those are due next Tues/Wed at the earliest.

I guess it pays to make a fuss sometimes. The call with BMWCA is still going ahead, to discuss more important things.
Appreciate 1
LAGWAGN272.00
      08-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #348
Benzima
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Got my diff this morning however, as has been discussed here and on the main thread, they forgot to ship the mounting bolts for it this applies to all cars and is why my guys went quiet for a few days - my parts guy is pissed haha. Those are due next Tues/Wed at the earliest.

I guess it pays to make a fuss sometimes. The call with BMWCA is still going ahead, to discuss more important things.
Curious to hear about the more "important" things...!
      08-12-2016, 07:46 AM   #349
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
Quote:

Curious to hear about the more "important" things...!
I may need to keep that confidential, we'll see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:24 AM   #350
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:

Just use the mounting bolts from the old diff? Should be identical.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:26 AM   #351
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
Quote:

Just use the mounting bolts from the old diff? Should be identical.
It's a little more complicated then that, these particular ones are one time use - allegedly.

That's what they told my parts guy, but he is calling BS on that. He thinks bolts are part of recall issue too.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #352
kylejdavidson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - LBB, DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulson T
My sales guy called with info that my car had changed status and would be enroute from Oxnard on 8/14. He had no info on whether the car had been repaired or if it was to be done at the dealership........................
When did your car get to the VPC?
Appreciate 0