BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Rough cold starts

07-31-2021, 12:50 PM   #1
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Hi guys, recently my M2 has really rough cold starts where the engine starts off sluggish, and RPMs dip below 500 RPM where the car sounds like it is about to die before going back up.

This happens only during cold starts and the car starts up no problem after that during the day. Any info what is the problem?

Car is stock with just under 30,000 miles.

Past: 2015 Lexus IS 250, 2014 Volkswagen CC R-Line
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 02:42 AM   #2
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Might be time for new spark plugs.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
spark plugs or waste gate being loose possibly
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

With a fully warmed engine and the car in neutral, disconnect the MAF sensor and let it run a few minutes. Shut the car off and reconnect the MAF sensor. On the next cold start, the issue should likely be fixed.
Appreciate 2
TripleU167.50
M2Pilot277.50
      10-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #5
TripleU
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 M2, 23 Ford F150 Raptor

Garage List
  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
With a fully warmed engine and the car in neutral, disconnect the MAF sensor and let it run a few minutes. Shut the car off and reconnect the MAF sensor. On the next cold start, the issue should likely be fixed.
Thank you so much! A few weeks ago, my car stalled trying to do a cold start so I tried your method and now my car starts up no problem now. *Knock on wood*

Past: 2015 Lexus IS 250, 2014 Volkswagen CC R-Line
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 06:23 PM   #6
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleU View Post
Hi guys, recently my M2 has really rough cold starts where the engine starts off sluggish, and RPMs dip below 500 RPM where the car sounds like it is about to die before going back up.

This happens only during cold starts and the car starts up no problem after that during the day. Any info what is the problem?

Car is stock with just under 30,000 miles.
I have had this exact same behavior on my '16 M2 since I got it a year ago (did the same cold start stumble on stock tune and the carbahn tune). I tried the MAF sensor unplug procedure listed above last week, but nothing has changed. I'm curious if any of you M2 owners (or N55) just live with this? Or is this cold start stumble really worth chasing down multiple rabbit holes? It's amazing how many people have stories about what has seemingly fixed this, but no consensus yet on what it is the definitive solution? Thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #7
track.n.trail
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateVector View Post
I have had this exact same behavior on my '16 M2 since I got it a year ago (did the same cold start stumble on stock tune and the carbahn tune). I tried the MAF sensor unplug procedure listed above last week, but nothing has changed. I'm curious if any of you M2 owners (or N55) just live with this? Or is this cold start stumble really worth chasing down multiple rabbit holes? It's amazing how many people have stories about what has seemingly fixed this, but no consensus yet on what it is the definitive solution? Thanks in advance..
Have you changed your spark plugs?

Previous: 6th Gen Camaro SS 1LE | 2020 JLUR Wrangler | F30 340i | B7 Audi A4 APR Tuned | E46 330ci
Instagram @track.n.trail
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 05:24 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I've seen the same thing on my car a number of times, interestingly it started last May/June, persisted through the summer then Fall/Winter it went away, came back this May/June. My spark plugs were changed last year as well.

I'd be curious if anyone else has a slight ticking noise from the fuel tank breather line and the two things are related.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 08:55 PM   #9
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by track.n.trail View Post
Yes, I changed them out for new ones about 8 months ago and nothing has changed. I don't hear any ticking from the fuel tank breather line either..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 12:41 AM   #10
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by track.n.trail View Post
Yes, I changed them out for new ones about 8 months ago and nothing has changed. I don't hear any ticking from the fuel tank breather line either..

Did you check for any error codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 10:45 AM   #11
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Did you check for any error codes?
No, that's probably a good idea. I have had the car in for service several times for routine maintenance at Winslow BMW and I assumed they would scan for codes, but maybe they don't unless the CEL is on.

I just keep reading about this issue on the M235i forums and other N55 applications where nobody seems to have errant codes, and some of them never get it "fixed". Some think it's an error in the cold start tables that just builds up over time or something...who knows.

I'm bringing my car in for an oil change to my independent BMW tech who has done good work for me in the past...I will have him chase this a little and see where it goes...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #12
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Pretty sure all these recent idle complaints are due to injectors getting older/used and either getting clogged up or beginning to leak.

Mine is in the shop for something similar and two plugs were black. Ran perfectly fine under load and at WOT, just a bad idle that got worse and worse over the last year. Kind of indicates leaking injectors in those cylinders, leading to rich mixture misfires at idle.

Doing new injectors early this week & will let you all know.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:16 AM   #13
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Pretty sure all these recent idle complaints are due to injectors getting older/used and either getting clogged up or beginning to leak.

Mine is in the shop for something similar and two plugs were black. Ran perfectly fine under load and at WOT, just a bad idle that got worse and worse over the last year. Kind of indicates leaking injectors in those cylinders, leading to rich mixture misfires at idle.

Thanks. Was your "bad idle" all the time or just the first cold start of the day? My cold start idle stumble just happens on the first cold start of the day and then it's fine the rest of the time, even sitting for 8 hours. The idle while running in neutral while driving (at stoplights) is also normal. It's just that very first cold start that does the strange stumble-->dip-->rev up--> then normal idle from that point on. This happens like clockwork when the car sits for about 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Was your "bad idle" all the time or just the first cold start of the day? My cold start idle stumble just happens on the first cold start of the day and then it's fine the rest of the time, even sitting for 8 hours. The idle while running in neutral while driving (at stoplights) is also normal. It's just that very first cold start that does the strange stumble-->dip-->rev up--> then normal idle from that point on. This happens like clockwork when the car sits for about 24 hours.
Mine acted just like that, and then got worse and worse and started doing it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #15
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Mine acted just like that, and then got worse and worse and started doing it all the time.
I see. I'd be very interested to see if your issue gets solved, and I will probably go the same route. Thanks for updating on here when you find out!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #16
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Oh, I just saw you in a previous thread from about a year ago mention that you replaced your MAF sensor and it helped this situation. Did it end up only being a temporary fix, and the cold start stumble eventually returned? I have also pondered just replacing the MAF sensor to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #17
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh, I just saw you in a previous thread from about a year ago mention that you replaced your MAF sensor and it helped this situation. Did it end up only being a temporary fix, and the cold start stumble eventually returned? I have also pondered just replacing the MAF sensor to see what happens.
Yeah, was just a temporary fix. Kind of like resetting adaptations, when the underlying issue hasn’t gotten that bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #18
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, was just a temporary fix. Kind of like resetting adaptations, when the underlying issue hasn’t gotten that bad.
I see, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 12:37 PM   #19
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

How did your injector job go? Any improvement with stumble on startups? Mine goes into the shop for routine maintenance next Wednesday, so it might be something to add to the list..thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #20
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How did your injector job go? Any improvement with stumble on startups? Mine goes into the shop for routine maintenance next Wednesday, so it might be something to add to the list..thanks for your feedback!
Hey, I don't have my car back, yet, but my mechanic says the idle is good now.

Plugs 3 & 6 were black, but the car ran fine with no misfires under WOT, so kind of points to an injector issue that was fouling those plugs and causing rough idle.

That said, we went back with all new plugs & coils while we were in there (free FCP replacement items), and the injectors, and all is good.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:35 PM   #21
StateVector
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I don't have my car back, yet, but my mechanic says the idle is good now.

Plugs 3 & 6 were black, but the car ran fine with no misfires under WOT, so kind of points to an injector issue that was fouling those plugs and causing rough idle.

That said, we went back with all new plugs & coils while we were in there (free FCP replacement items), and the injectors, and all is good.
Thanks for the update! So my stumble just happens on the first cold start of the day and I had new plugs put in last year with no visible fouling on the old plugs. If the idle stumble and rev-up thing is due to leaky injectors, how would I determine which ones to replace? I assume you just replaced injectors 3 & 6 based on the fouling of those plugs? Maybe I should wait until my idle stumble thing gets worse and happens on every startup to do any mitigation?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #22
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the update! So my stumble just happens on the first cold start of the day and I had new plugs put in last year with no visible fouling on the old plugs. If the idle stumble and rev-up thing is due to leaky injectors, how would I determine which ones to replace? I assume you just replaced injectors 3 & 6 based on the fouling of those plugs? Maybe I should wait until my idle stumble thing gets worse and happens on every startup to do any mitigation?
We did all six injectors ($575): https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-13647639994kt

Anytime I've played the which plug, coil, (and now injector) to replace game, the labor ends up being more if you don't get it right the first time.

And, my car has 40k miles, lots of track days, and years of running ethanol (also installed Bend's fuel filter), so probably better just to replace them all anyways.

Maybe a little more painful the first-time cost wise to do them all at once, but now that I'm in the FCP replacement cycle for those parts, we just replace them all each time to completely rule out plug, coil, and now injector issues.
Appreciate 0