BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust valve?

04-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #45
Jcon157
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '15 M235, '16 X3

Garage List
'18 M2  [0.00]
'16 X3 xDrive35i  [0.00]
'08 335 (Retired)  [0.00]
'15 M235  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
I'm surprised everyone seems to be able to tell if the stock valve is open or not. Was it the sound difference that's so noticeable? I don't think so.

To my knowledge, you can't really see the stock valve (on the right side) looking from the tailpipes.
No, with the Dinan you can't see the valve position by looking into the tailpipe, however, you can tell if its open or closed based on the position of the actuator above the exhaust pipe. Furthermore, if the valve is open, over 90% of exhaust shoots straight down and out a single exhaust outlet. This is clearly evident when standing behind the car.

As VegasM2 posted earlier in this thread, "when the valve is open all the gasses are directed to the far right pipe alone, which doesn't travel through the exhaust can at all. the other three, which do are inactive. pretty much like not having an exhaust at all." He is absolutely correct here. If the valve is shut then it routes the exhaust through the exhaust can before exiting through the other three exhaust tips, which greatly decreases the decibel output. This makes the sound difference very noticeable. I can only speak on behalf of the Dinan setup. I'm not familiar with the others.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:42 PM   #46
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
The dealership couldn't figure it out but agreed since they couldn't EVER get it to close that something wasn't right. They had a regional BMW engineer come and diagnose it. He hooked his equipment up to the car and was able to command the valve closed (once). As soon as he disconnected his equipment the valve popped open and we couldn't get it to shut under any drive mode configuration. He didn't really have an explanation, he just simply claimed with the stock exhaust the difference between a open/closed valve wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as with my Dinan exhaust/Res delete combo, which I can't argue with. He made some notes and said if BMW got enough complaints then they'd allocate some resources to determine a solution. Lets just say I'm not holding my breath...
Damn, alright thanks for the info. I guess I'll mention it next time I go in for service and see what they say. It's not bad right now, but I'm worried the cold start will be unbearable once I add a downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #47
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
The dealership couldn't figure it out but agreed since they couldn't EVER get it to close that something wasn't right. They had a regional BMW engineer come and diagnose it. He hooked his equipment up to the car and was able to command the valve closed (once). As soon as he disconnected his equipment the valve popped open and we couldn't get it to shut under any drive mode configuration. He didn't really have an explanation, he just simply claimed with the stock exhaust the difference between a open/closed valve wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as with my Dinan exhaust/Res delete combo, which I can't argue with. He made some notes and said if BMW got enough complaints then they'd allocate some resources to determine a solution. Lets just say I'm not holding my breath...
The open/closing behaviour of the exhaust valve was changed, I think with the LCI onwards. On my car it is open with engine off, idling in all modes and as far as I can make out only closes at higher engine rpm (even in Sport+). At what rpm it closes and why I don't know but it does. Since I pulled the fuse to keep it open full time long spirited drives (sport+) give an even spread of carbon deposits across the 4 tips, with the fuse in the valve side tips were a lot cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:08 PM   #48
maol
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Is there anyone who have looked into the stock-map and figured out how the exhaust valves should behave regarding to the software in the car. I have the same behavior with open valves and they are not closing when the car is warmed up and idling. Maybe I got it wrong but my feeling is that there are many different opinions how the valve should behave and therefor im interesting if someone have looked into to the software where the answer is?

Last edited by maol; 05-01-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #49
XSS11V
XSS11V
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI - Mineral Grey

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Bump! I have just installed a Milltek system and also have a Wagner catted downpipe and I just cannot get the valves to close automatically in Comfort Mode, only via the BimmerLink app. Since I have a JB4 connected to the OBD2 port it’s a hassle changing over to the VGate every time I need to close the valves
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #50
SpeedFried
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2 Mineral Gray with DCT

I purchased a CG Precision VSG-1 exhaust valve controller (programmed open on startup) for use with my Remus exhaust. As many in this thread have mentioned my exhaust valves never really operated. So there is an issue using the CG VSG-1 because the valves are normally open (no power to actuator and coil spring holds it open). So pressing the button to close the valves doesn’t work because there is no power to the controller.

However, using BM3 if I go into diagnostics and close the exhaust flaps manually with BM3 the VSG-1 can over ride and open and close the valves (DME is sending power to controller). Im assuming this is the only time there is power at the connector because BM3 is forcing the DME to close the valves.

Currently I’m trying to figure out a way to make these operational. I have BM3 flash configured to OEM exhaust flap setting. I’m thinking of trying the closed setting on BM3 and opening with the controller instead of closing. The only caveat is that I believe BM3 only overrides to closed for a few minutes. So this fix is only temporary and wouldn’t really fix the issue.

Wondering how the MPE and other exhaust systems control the flaps so they always operate. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 05:27 AM   #51
Bryan_Tipple63
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford Mondeo

Exhaust valve?

I'm not sure if I can help here but when I had a similar problem I found this info really helpful - https://www.bmengineering.co.uk/the-...lenoid-valves/

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 05:00 PM   #52
luxo
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB 18' M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFried View Post
I purchased a CG Precision VSG-1 exhaust valve controller (programmed open on startup) for use with my Remus exhaust. As many in this thread have mentioned my exhaust valves never really operated. So there is an issue using the CG VSG-1 because the valves are normally open (no power to actuator and coil spring holds it open). So pressing the button to close the valves doesn’t work because there is no power to the controller.

However, using BM3 if I go into diagnostics and close the exhaust flaps manually with BM3 the VSG-1 can over ride and open and close the valves (DME is sending power to controller). Im assuming this is the only time there is power at the connector because BM3 is forcing the DME to close the valves.

Currently I’m trying to figure out a way to make these operational. I have BM3 flash configured to OEM exhaust flap setting. I’m thinking of trying the closed setting on BM3 and opening with the controller instead of closing. The only caveat is that I believe BM3 only overrides to closed for a few minutes. So this fix is only temporary and wouldn’t really fix the issue.

Wondering how the MPE and other exhaust systems control the flaps so they always operate. Any input would be appreciated.
I know this was a while ago, but did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue and it appears my valves are always open which is a bit of a nuisance given I have a Remus + sport cat so am experiencing some highway drone and am not sure if buying the CG valve controller will work given the valve issue (although as in your case using BM3 to force them close works for a short period of time).
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 07:45 PM   #53
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxo View Post
I know this was a while ago, but did you ever get this sorted out? I have the same issue and it appears my valves are always open which is a bit of a nuisance given I have a Remus + sport cat so am experiencing some highway drone and am not sure if buying the CG valve controller will work given the valve issue (although as in your case using BM3 to force them close works for a short period of time).
I would suggest the Macht Schnell valve controller. It is run by the BC button on the stalk and lets you control the valves to be always open, always closed, or following the stock programing. I would also check the install. When my Dinan muffler section was installed, the actuator was not properly installed so it was stuck open all the time.
Appreciate 0