BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA > winter wheel tire setup 18 inch ers doable?

03-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Kothar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 20 m235i gran coupe

winter wheel tire setup 18 inch ers doable?

I am finding several sources saying 18 inch ers can go on it...somega can't. who is running an 18 inch setup and what wheel tire size running? bmw shows theIrene set as 18 michelin pilot Alpin pa4 but is 2750....I think a person can do better than that.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

I have the BMW set - 18" 640M's, running Alpin4's, 235 front, 255 rear.

You'll be just fine

PS: That was after a 25cm snow storm while I was at work.

PSS: You'll be hard pressed to beat that $2,700 price including wheels, it's a good deal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

18s are doable, but not all. I've had a set that couldn't clear the brakes. My current ones barely clear them. So it depends on the design and not just the offset. I got mine with Xi3 from K&B Tires in Markham.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
I have the BMW set - 18" 640M's, running Alpin4's, 235 front, 255 rear.

You'll be just fine

PS: That was after a 25cm snow storm while I was at work.

PSS: You'll be hard pressed to beat that $2,700 price including wheels, it's a good deal.
Was going to get the same 640M setup you have. Did you have any issues going up hills or stopping at a light on a hill and having to get up the hill when the light turns green? I live in a hilly area. Thanks.

V.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #5
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadagawd View Post
Was going to get the same 640M setup you have. Did you have any issues going up hills or stopping at a light on a hill and having to get up the hill when the light turns green? I live in a hilly area. Thanks.

V.
I only got stuck once going uphill near my house, but that's because we hadn't been plowed yet - there was maybe 20cm on the ground.

If the roads were clean I had no issues. I highly recommend you keep it in MDM mode (single press of traction button) otherwise it cuts power to the wheels too soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Ghost of Akina
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (LBB 6MT)

Agree with gmzanatta on all counts. They're a good deal and they work pretty well; do keep the traction at least partially off as suggested because it's a bit dim-witted in the snow.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I only got stuck once going uphill near my house, but that's because we hadn't been plowed yet - there was maybe 20cm on the ground.

If the roads were clean I had no issues. I highly recommend you keep it in MDM mode (single press of traction button) otherwise it cuts power to the wheels too soon.
Thanks. Someone told me with rear wheel drive vehicles we should be putting sandbags in the trunk for added weight. Thoughts?

Another fear I have is going down hill and putting on the brakes whether it will slide down the hill or worst yet hit the car in front?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks. Someone told me with rear wheel drive vehicles we should be putting sandbags in the trunk for added weight. Thoughts?

Another fear I have is going down hill and putting on the brakes whether it will slide down the hill or worst yet hit the car in front?
Absolutely on the weights. I always kept two 50lb boxes of cat litter in the trunk for both weight and traction if I ever did get stuck.

And don?t worry about downhill, the car handles waaaayyy better than anyone gives it credit for during the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Absolutely on the weights. I always kept two 50lb boxes of cat litter in the trunk for both weight and traction if I ever did get stuck.

And don?t worry about downhill, the car handles waaaayyy better than anyone gives it credit for during the winter months.

Did you put any weights in the back of the M2?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did you put any weights in the back of the M2?
Yep, as per previous post, 2x 50lb cat litter boxes
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #11
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for your response. Vancouver doesn't normally have very much snow but last year was not a normal year for us. Hopefully this year will resume as normal but will definitely get the 640M package.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Car already has (nearly) 50-50 weight distribution, you felt like you needed the weight back there? I wasn't planning on carrying weight all winter. I'm not in the great white north, but I get lake effect snow so we definitely can get dumped on at times... We've had 20-30cm in a day before.

I'm planning on going for a square winter setup though, with narrower-than-suggested wheels in the rear (which should be beneficial for snow and ice traction). I'm not quite sure why BMW specs wider rear tires (keeps the stagger) for winter - it's the opposite of what you want. I'm looking at going down to an 18x8 or 18x8.5 (if I can find them) all around with 225/45R18 tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2) that I already have from my Audi.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Car already has (nearly) 50-50 weight distribution, you felt like you needed the weight back there? I wasn't planning on carrying weight all winter. I'm not in the great white north, but I get lake effect snow so we definitely can get dumped on at times... We've had 20-30cm in a day before.

I'm planning on going for a square winter setup though, with narrower-than-suggested wheels in the rear (which should be beneficial for snow and ice traction). I'm not quite sure why BMW specs wider rear tires (keeps the stagger) for winter - it's the opposite of what you want. I'm looking at going down to an 18x8 or 18x8.5 (if I can find them) all around with 225/45R18 tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2) that I already have from my Audi.
50/50 distribution isn't going to help in deep snow, you need those rear wheels down for good traction.

As for the square set up, with this amount of torque on the low end, it honestly won't matter. Plus, I find staggered much easier to control when in a skid, larger contact patch out back to regain control.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #14
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
50/50 distribution isn't going to help in deep snow, you need those rear wheels down for good traction.

As for the square set up, with this amount of torque on the low end, it honestly won't matter. Plus, I find staggered much easier to control when in a skid, larger contact patch out back to regain control.
(bold is mine)
Except that's not how snow & ice work...

On low friction surfaces, you want a smaller contact patch, to provide more weight/pressure over a smaller area and thus get more "bite" out of the sipes (or studs) on the tire. This is why narrower tire setups are better in the winter, along with the fact that narrower tires will "cut through" deep snow more easily.

Obviously with the amount of torque this car has, if you drive it like J. Clarkson you're gonna have a problem in the winter... doesn't matter how well-setup the tire & wheel package is. I'm just surprised that BMW doesn't spec to a square setup and I can't figure out what their reasoning is. Unless it's something along the lines of BMW doesn't sell a square set of wheels (with appropriate offsets), leading them to instead suggest the staggered package that they do...?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 02:19 PM   #15
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
(bold is mine)
Except that's not how snow & ice work...
Says the guy asking for advice to the guy that drove his car all of last winter

I wasn't saying it defied physics, which is why I said "I" prefer staggered. A square set-up would likely be 245's all around, and contact patch reduction is minimal. BMW does not offer a square set-up, you'd have to go 3rd party.

Do make sure it's 18s though...there's some 19s out there with very little tread depth that I personally find useless in snow. The higher sidewall of the 18's allows for better snow treads.

EDIT: I wanted to add that, in any significant snow depth, the traction control is very, very sensitive. I highly recommend always keeping the car in MDM mode (single press of traction button) since it allows a bit more wheel spin. Otherwise if it even thinks there might be a slightly possibility there is spin it cuts power, it's a huge PITA.

Last edited by gmzanatta; 08-25-2017 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      08-25-2017, 09:48 PM   #16
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
I drove the TTRS through our last two winters with the Hakka R2 on them. That car normally wears 255/35R19 all around; I downsized it to 225/40R18. Had zero problems... but it has AWD, although no limited slip diffs (both front and rear are open). Roughly the same power / torque figures as the M2 though. Admittedly, the last two years felt pretty mild compared to stuff we've had in the past.

So I already own a set of (used, but at least one or two winters left) very good snow tires... I just want to make them work with the BMW, and out of necessity it will end up being a squared config. I ran the math on the diameters; my squared setup will actually be closer to the stock rolling diameter of the rears than BMW's suggested setup!
Appreciate 0