BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (Schirmer Page 9)

04-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #221
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

The concept, good sir, is racing

Waiting on mine to be built in September and then another two months for delivery. Your posts are great. Please keep ‘em up.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #222
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
The concept, good sir, is racing

Waiting on mine to be built in September and then another two months for delivery. Your posts are great. Please keep ‘em up.
What are you picking up??
      04-07-2022, 07:21 PM   #223
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Rays G025 in Matte Gunblack going on a bsm OG.

19x9 +23
19x10 +34

Plan to wrap them with PS4S or PS5S if it’s out when they arrive.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 11:22 PM   #224
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Rays G025 in Matte Gunblack going on a bsm OG.

19x9 +23
19x10 +34

Plan to wrap them with PS4S or PS5S if it’s out when they arrive.
Sweet. I have that offset on my bronze ZE40's. Super easy to fit. Also ran PS4S on them, might I recommend going to 255/275 as Michelins run narrow.
      05-01-2022, 08:45 PM   #225
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

KIC Apr 29, full course

Okie dokie folks.

I did a 3 day track event this past weekend. The first day was a private track rental that I participated in that was broken into three groups, first was a Radical race team (SR3, SR8, and SR10) including two Wolf cars, second group was these formula 3 looking cars that were part of a group I wasn't familiar with. They used a different pit so I didn't see their setup at all. Then third was the group I usually go down with, and we had 17 cars. Each group got 5 sessions.

The next two days were open track days. Like usual, broken up into three groups based on laptime. I officially "graduated" into B, so I moved from "Chaos" to "borderline fast" haha

Anywho. On to the pics.

First stop was getting gas.

Next was buying some snacks - in the cooler was chips and chocolate because honestly racing takes a lot of calories and I get hungry as do my compatriots so gotta share with everyone.

Next I did something I haven't done before, but I think I'll do from here on out. I jumped on a car carrier with some other folks and shipped my car down instead of driving myself. It saves me 650km round trip.

Then my friend / driving coach picked me up on his way down and we rode together.

I learned a lot on the drive down, in that speed cameras only look at one lane (not both, unless there's two cameras) and if you want to cheat the average speed zone, then "break down" in the emergency lane when you go by the first camera and it won't register you. That way you can drive to your hearts content in the zone and not worry about keeping to the limit. "not that we did that."

We ended up getting there at 1AM and I checked into my, what we call, "love motel" which you have to specifically state you want to book by the day, not by the hour. Free condoms though. Also the room had a suit styler, playstation 5, phone charger, the works!

Next morning bright and early we stopped by McD's, which had like, ONE PERSON working.

At the track. It rained in the morning so it was pretty wet.

Also, the truck driver also shipped his car down, but his license expired so he had to sit in the drivers briefing which lasts like just over an hour. But, my car was still on his truck and he had the keys. So I missed my first session, and I couldn't ride with anybody because my helmet was in my car. But, it was pretty wet so if I'm honest I was happy I didn't drive.

Some of the cars aren't street registered, and it's VERY strict for license plates here, so a lot of cars we fuel with jerry cans.

I think it's funny how "like minds" attract, nearly everyone in our group was in some sort of BMW. There are some seriously sick builds out here.

More cars arriving! Still not mine though.

And finally mine is here!

Patiently waiting for the track to dry...

The way it runs there's no real lunch break, although we were red flagged around lunch because someone crashed (no pictures out of respect) and they had to clean it up. But, someone ordered kimbap for everyone so that was my lunch.

Speaking of crash, so the track is broken up into two parts. There's the GP circuit, which is what they call the permanent course that we use the majority of the time, and then the full F1 circuit which includes the street circuit portion. There comes a point where you enter the street circuit through an off camber corner, and then from there it is a street circuit (no banking) with very close concrete walls, and unfortunately that's where someone had an accident.

This is the full F1 course:

This is the permanent course:

I prefer the permanent course, because all the F1 course really adds is two long straights and it's hard on your brakes. No thanks.

My instructor was driving his e46 which was having fuel problems. Unfortunately he wasn't able to get it fully sorted and ended up sitting out the rest of the weekend.

Typical for project management, you have 10 managers for every 1 worker.

I was having issues with my AIM, which I just picked up, because our pit entrance was at the permanent course but the start line was over at the F1 pit, so by the time I started logging laptimes it was halfway through the session... Part of it might have been user error though.

Some people only came for one day, including the cars I came on the carrier with, so they packed up at the end of Friday to head back to Seoul.

No track day is complete without dinner.

I will continue the rest of the weekend in the next post.
RideM317.00
      05-01-2022, 09:31 PM   #226
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

KIC 4.30, 5.1 Track Day

One thing you may have noticed is I alluded to new wheels in a previous post, but my wheels are the same. That's no accident. Due to USPS's infinite wisdom and logistics capabilities, I got ONE wheel right away and then the other three came one day before I had to go down to the track, so I wasn't able to get them on in time.

On to the track day.

It's 150,000 KRW which is about ~$125-$130 USD for the day, and you get 4 20 minute sessions. During the winter season they have a ticket system, but not for the summer season.

The Wolf and Radical cars all lined up to get loaded on to trucks for their trip back to Seoul. Their group rented the track for 15 Fridays, which to me is an extreme logistical cost but it's their choice so whatevs. They paid 150 million won, which is like $130k, so about $10k for each weekend and they attempt to offset the cost by sharing the track days with others.

On to track time.

First session out got a new PB, then it was already time for...lunch LOL.

My friend with his S2000 joined for the weekend session, and it makes me reeeally miss mine!! Also unfortunately he broke his diff towards the end, so he had to bow out for the remainder of the weekend.

His most recent addition is a dry carbon fiber ASM hood.

I continued to work my time down. Now a second faster than when I went in March.

So. Painfully. Close.

Then it was time for dinner, and we tried somewhere new.

Poor lobster. I named him Frank.

Also found Budweiser. This is 8 bucks lol

Hi Frank!!

And my "love motel" had a M5CS...visit.

Next morning, back at the track. What a beautiful, fantastic day.

First session out, broke into 29!

Lunchtime.

This was the only picture I have of my car on track LOL

My friend Park and I

My instructor Tony and I

My S2000 friend Morgan and I

And I have a 2.1 second beat on my PB from March. I am happy in my improvement but I am gutted that I didn't make it into the 28's, but my tires were hot, getting greasy, mind wasn't fresh, so I'll have to try again next time.

So from my first track day in November at 1.41.5, I'm now at 1.29.1. I don't think that laptimes are the ultimate "be all end all" but in chasing laptimes you also improve your line, balance, etc.

Afterwards I over-inflated my tires to 40psi, so that way when I get my car off the truck I won't have to mess with the tire pressure (it'll go down to like 34 cold).

Lining up the cars to wait for the truck. The red tiburon is not ours, it's been there for like...months....

Then before getting on the road, we all grabbed dinner together before heading to Seoul.

Then on the way home.

Last edited by warrenw; 05-01-2022 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-01-2022, 10:02 PM   #227
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Congrats on the new PBs. It’s a big ol world out there.

How ya like the AIM S2?

P.s let’s see them new Volks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #228
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
Congrats on the new PBs. It’s a big ol world out there.

How ya like the AIM S2?

P.s let’s see them new Volks!
Love/hate relationship. It's incredibly accurate, but I'm thinking maybe it's user error and I'm not used to it, but the only two functions I've found are +/- and static. I just want it to keep a constant timer going but I haven't found that option yet.

+/- is actually really helpful as you can see where you're gaining/losing in real time, however, it only worked half the time. Otherwise it was showing --:--:--. So I have to tinker with it some more.
      05-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #229
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
epic posts! looks like a great day!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 11:57 PM   #230
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
epic posts! looks like a great day!
Thanks! Can't wait to go back!
      05-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #231
Jurassic_Sean
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp

Garage List
Great thread, great food, great car, and great dog! Inspiring stuff! Keep up all the great updates and thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #232
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Sean View Post
Great thread, great food, great car, and great dog! Inspiring stuff! Keep up all the great updates and thanks for sharing!
Thanks friend! Excited for the next one.

In the meantime, tomorrow I'll switch back to my DS2500 pads. Holy hell the 1.11's are LOUD. It's actually pretty embarrassing pulling up to a stoplight LOL.
      05-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #233
Maximus_M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Man I love naeng myeon (cold noodles).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:18 PM   #234
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_M2 View Post
Man I love naeng myeon (cold noodles).
You and me both. Especially in the summer, it's literally the perfect meal.
      05-08-2022, 07:34 PM   #235
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Couple of small "updates" so I'll throw it all into one post.

First, after the track my car got beat up by the tire slag. On top of that, it rained the evening before the track day, while I was on the transport truck, and the spray from the trucks rear axle went all over my car. So those two together made a very, very dirty car.

Cleaning the tire gunk went very fast. I used Mothers R3 Tire remover, which is literally a spray on, wipe off product. It's VERY strong. But, it will also remove any sort of soft compound you may have on the car. So it isn't supposed to remove any wax or coating (like ceramic) and it didn't, but I use a hydrophobic spray after every wash and it DEFINITELY removed that lol. When I washed the car after removing the tire marks I could distinctly tell the areas that I used the product. All was fixed after I re-applied the spray after the car wash though.

Then I had to deal with the brakes. So I switched over to Ferodo DS1.11 pads. They are LOUD. Like, painfully loud at every stop. So I switched back to the DS2500's for daily use.

However, I didn't feel like paying 50 bucks to change plus the drive to and from the shop so I did it myself.

My biggest complaint about apartment living is, well... No garage. Not to mention the risks I take parking every day. Anywho, I found a $8/hr lift rental so I did it all myself. Gotta say, this has to be the easiest brake pad swap ever. I think I'll do them myself from here on out.

This is after 3 days track use - I'd say I did pretty well with pad management. I'd say I can get a lot more life out of these, look like they're at about 70%.

I also inspected my tires. They're done. Unhappy with the wear. Need to work on my alignment.

Then when I got home, the clouds opened and the sun shined benevolently upon me and I got the best parking spot in the complex. It's been like over a year since I got this spot last. Haha

I also went to Cars and Coffee Seoul (like two weeks ago) and it was the first one since Covid started. It was fun! Average turnout, maybe next one will be more. A guy took some pics of my car.

OK so plans for the car:

Immediate plans are to get the new wheels on. I will do that in ~20 days or so. While I'm there, I will do engine oil, diff fluid, transmission fluid. I will also have to dial in more camber in the front and potentially some more in the rear, I have to test fit the wheels though. I will also be getting Nexen SUR4G 265 square tires for my 18" Volks. Lastly, what I really want to do is rebuild my dampers. They're at nearly 35k miles / 50k kms on the damper, plus the absolute terrible roads around here have done it no favors. I also plan to increase the spring rate from 8/12k to 12/18k.

I will drive at the AMG speedway in Yongin on the 5th of June, first time out there. Then I'll do the sports driving at KIC on the 24/25th of June. Then I'll be done until October/November, as I'm currently studying for my architecture license + going to SE Asia for most of August + my parents want to visit + summer is too hot for the track, etc.

Next stage plans are, if the damper rebuild and spring rate change doesn't work in my favor (as in, still not getting the results I want on track) then I will switch to AST 5200's.

I am also looking at potentially getting the M2CS hood. I actually don't like the M4 GTS hood, I think it's too bulbous, but I really really like the M2CS hood. I cannot, however, afford the M2CS hood at like what, $8k? Soooo another guy I know got a knockoff from some Taiwanese company that after paint comes out to $1.5k or so. I think I'll do it and repaint my front bumper at the same time, then do PPF this time around. My front bumper is messssssed up with rock chips and the like. I also think it looks like it fits well, however I'm really torn getting a "knockoff" because in my S2000 days I preached against "fake parts" but honestly I don't mind ripping off BMW because they already make a lot of money.

Here are some pics of the guy who got one:

I really like it. I'm starting to talk myself into it. Maybe this summer.

Lastly, here's a pic of my dog.

05-09-2022, 10:23 PM   #236
///393
Captain
Rep

Also have an S2000 on Volks and lust after the CS hood. Great minds.

What’s the plan for the damper rebuild? Take em off and use someone local or ship them off?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:58 PM   #237
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Also have an S2000 on Volks and lust after the CS hood. Great minds.

What’s the plan for the damper rebuild? Take em off and use someone local or ship them off?
Yes I'll use someone local. I have to work out a plan but I think I'll be able to leave my car on a lift while they get rebuilt. I think I can have it done in a day or two max. The Ohlins dealer here also rebuilds and is super fast. Think I can do it for like 200 ea., I gotta check though.
      05-10-2022, 09:52 AM   #238
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Great update! What new wheels did you get?

I feel the same way about parts. I don't want to rip off any smaller companies by buying replicas but I'll buy replica bmw parts because they are so big and the prices are absurd.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #239
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
Great update! What new wheels did you get?

I feel the same way about parts. I don't want to rip off any smaller companies by buying replicas but I'll buy replica bmw parts because they are so big and the prices are absurd.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. I made a big deal out of it in my JDM days because a lot of those smaller Japanese tuner shops put in a lot of money to develop parts, only to have their US market share pulled out from under them because some dude uses it as a mold plug and then starts producing their own with the audacity to market it as the OG part instead of as a rep.

Anywho.

I got 18" Volks. Well I guess it doesn't need to be a secret lol I got 18" square ZE40's.
      05-10-2022, 07:31 PM   #240
///393
Captain
Rep

Nice. Remind me of CE28’s a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:58 PM   #241
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Remind me of CE28’s a bit.
That's my other alltime favorite wheel. No BMW sizes tho, but I had CE's on my S2000 and loved them.
      05-12-2022, 09:14 AM   #242
///393
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
That's my other alltime favorite wheel. No BMW sizes tho, but I had CE's on my S2000 and loved them.
It’s a good look. Shame about the BMW sizes. Your 18s with meats on em will look great regardless.

Appreciate 0