BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (Schirmer Page 9)

02-28-2022, 01:31 AM   #199
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Korea International Circuit - January / February

Long time no post, but nobody is really on forums anymore so not sure I'll keep updating!

So last update I guess, I've been driving the winter season down in Mokpo (about 300km, 3 hours away from my house) in January / February. I plan to go one more time in March before the end of the season.

I went in January for a day, drove down at 5am, got there at 8, drove, then drove home - it was a bit much so this past weekend I went down for two days and that was a lot more manageable.

Anywho, back in January I went to get my suspension checked the day before I went, and of course had to check on the burn in of the Akra.

Then got gas at a spicy $5.95 a gallon equivalent.

Got down to the track, signed in, then waited for my session.

I went down with MIM, which is a well known shop in Korea, and they have season passes so they have a few pits that they have 100% use of for the entire season - there are 14 pits like this. So a lot of guys will bring a full set of tools, wheel sets, tires, etc. so they can take care of anything they need while down there because most leave their cars there during the week. Winter season is thurs-sun Dec-March.

They also have some really, really well built M2's.

First session I got coached, and mornings only have one session for groups A and C (groups are based on what your laptime is, C is slowest obv) so I did one session then it was time for lunch.

Unfortunately a Kia Stinger blew an oil line and spread oil along the entire straight so it took them almost 3 hours to clean up.

But it gave some time to walk around.

I got one last session at the end of the day then had to go home. But, with two full sessions I went from a 1.40.6 to a 1.36.2, thanks to coaching. For reference the really fast M2's are doing 1.25, then there are a few with 500+hp that are doing a ~1.20. So I have a ways to go.

In other news, someone hit my wife's car in our apartment parking lot so we had to get the bumper replaced and new PPF, all paid for by the other person's insurance. Total bill thanks to BMW price gouging and 20 day rental (had to order the parts overseas since it's a US spec bumper) was over 7 million KRW LOL.

While we were at the PPF shop I got to race on the shop owner's racing SIM rig... WOW. Costs about $35k USD.

It also snowed a lot, so here's a picture of the snow.

Ok so on to the Feb track day this past weekend, my pads were getting worn (certainly not enough pad for 2 days) so I got an oil change and replaced pads.

Then washed my car.

Then drove down to Mokpo. Bad weather on the way down.

See: Bad weather results.

One of the season pass holders has a gutted e92, and holds the e92 lap record.

He also has carbon doors.

There are some other well known Korean builds that get stored here for the winter season, such as this RHD S2000.

Lunchtime.

For this weekend in our group it was 4 M2's (2 heavily modified) and a M4CS, which will be raced in the M Cup series hosted by CJOne this season. This time around I did follow the leader which helped me get down to 1.35.1, however the guy I was following was also getting coached so I was going as fast as he was, so maybe with a faster leader I could have done better? Most of the sessions I actually struggled to get clear space on track as my sessions were a bit full. And unfortunately since I'm still learning the track and I'm in the slow group there are some beginners there who don't know proper track etiquette, so it takes some effort to get around people like that.

Also proud of my 6mpg.

4 sessions down, headed to a local hotel.

MIM's owner took us out to dinner, which was really good.

Back at it the next day.

I'd say the makeup of cars at open track days is half Euro (BMW) and half Korean/Asian - so Genesis coupe, Hyundai Veloster N / Avante N, and then GT86's. Fun fact, a bunch of GT86's were sold in Korea but all of them were imported from other markets (which costs a lot) because there's no Toyota / Subaru presence to speak of.

Lunch.

Plenty of brake dust.

I got a ridealong with the yellow M2 who does about a ~1.25, I have a lot to learn LOL. Click the link for a video, bimmerpost doesn't seem to want to embed.

https://flic.kr/p/2n5YR6a

The yellow M2 had some noise issues from his Motons so we tightened it up but while it got better it still persisted so he had to drive his car back to Seoul last night to get it fixed and will bring it back again next week.

Anyway all good things come to an end so it's time to head home.

One last rest stop dinner then we split ways our different directions.

And finally home.

If you're interested in more, feel free to follow me on instagram (link in signature).
W///7489.50
jordan24c128.00
M2Debt98.00
      02-28-2022, 08:03 AM   #200
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Love the your posts and your build man! Awesome that you were able to cut down track times in just two sessions. There's a few people that still read these posts. Reminds us of the good ok Bimmerpost days. Keep it going!

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 3
gphung193.50
warrenw1085.50
FreeDarko217.00
      02-28-2022, 11:24 AM   #201
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Great post and especially love the food pics!
Appreciate 1
warrenw1085.50
      02-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #202
Deezyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Keep updating for sure! Love your posts.
Appreciate 1
warrenw1085.50
      02-28-2022, 02:25 PM   #203
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
warrenw great post and awesome pics!!!

i love that yellow M2! is that paint or a wrap?

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 1
warrenw1085.50
      02-28-2022, 05:29 PM   #204
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
warrenw great post and awesome pics!!!

i love that yellow M2! is that paint or a wrap?
Howdy! It's a wrap. Gotta stand out you know!

It's a well set up car. Motons, Tarox all around, etc.
      02-28-2022, 10:55 PM   #205
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
This build is sick, super clean. Do you know what hood that is?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:33 AM   #206
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
This build is sick, super clean. Do you know what hood that is?
It's Motorsport24 GTR hood.
https://www.motorsport24.de/m235i-f22-karosserie_/
      03-07-2022, 10:47 AM   #207
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Just read all your new updates the last few pages. I for one have always enjoyed this build but also your story telling. Hope you keep updating
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 01:30 PM   #208
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
As a fellow Korean, LOVE the updates and build!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #209
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Just read all your new updates the last few pages. I for one have always enjoyed this build but also your story telling. Hope you keep updating
Thanks I appreciate it! I have a 3-day track event next weekend that I'll update you guys on

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
As a fellow Korean, LOVE the updates and build!
Thanks man! I'm just a poor 외국인 trying to survive over here :LOL:
      03-07-2022, 06:30 PM   #210
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Thanks I appreciate it! I have a 3-day track event next weekend that I'll update you guys on

Thanks man! I'm just a poor 외국인 trying to survive over here :LOL:
Forgot to mention I'm also a big fan of the pictures of food. Meals look delicious haha 😄
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #211
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Hello all.
Have a major update to the car after only doing maintenance / consumables for the past year or so.

I talked myself into getting a bucket seat. I decided day 1 of owning the car I wouldn't (I ran a bucket in my S2000 that I dd'd) but after 3 track weekends in 3 months...I had to. So the saying goes if you're sliding around in your seat you're driving wrong to begin with, and the issue wasn't that I was sliding but I couldn't feel the weight transfer as much as I could in other M2's with buckets... So the agreement I made with my wife was that I'd get a bucket but switch in the bucket only for track days.

Well that was a comment made out of naivety, as I mean I guess it's possible but I don't have ISTA in order to clear the codes even when switching stock back in, and I mean, maybe I'll try to do it but we'll see how long I can survive with the bucket for daily use LOL.

So anyway. I went with a Recaro RS-GS.

Also car went up in the air wheels off for new tires and pads (wasn't expecting to do pads, but oh well). This was kind of a stuck between a rock and hard place type of situation for me because I didn't like the tires I had, Kumho V720, it's an old tire, it's super loud, and I think it's just mid tier or worse of a tire. PLUS it's actually discontinued so while you can get a cheap price it's a 2019-2020 tire. So why did I go with them again? Well, SUR4G only has a 245/40r19 for the fronts, they don't have 35 profile. So I'd for sure rub. Then I think I was only finding 275's in the rear, so 245/275 is just an odd pairing. Ok so what else is out there, RS4 right? That too has odd sizing. It'd be like 245/275r19, which I didn't want to do. So then if I went to Michelin's it'd be $600+ per tire (imports are expensive) so I was like nah, nope. So back on the Kumhos. OH and 265 Kumho's are fully sold out so I did 255/275. More on that later.

BUT. That's the last time I'll do that because I put in an order for PS4S for the Volks to be my daily wheel, then I'm going 18x10 265/35 square for a dedicated track set. Still deciding which wheel to do. So I'll have one more track weekend on the Kumho's, then on to 18's.

For the brakes, I have been running EBC yellows for 18 months now. This was my third set, and they lasted like one track weekend. ONE. Well I had 40% left when we looked but it wasn't enough for 3 days at the track, so went ahead and switched. I'm now on Ferodo DS2500's, which aren't a dedicated track pad which is fine, but now that I've run them street/track I swear these are my new street pad and I'll get 1.11's for my next track outing. WOW Ferodo's are fantastic. I won't go back to EBC's. And, 3 days at the track and I still have ~65-70% of pad left.

So back to the tires, Kumho's run wide, so when we started pulling the car out it was rubbing on full lock. Might as well get an alignment.
Wow it was worse than I thought. I was running -1.7 deg in the front (On camber plates!!) and -1.5 in the rear which I wasn't expecting. So I changed that to -2.8F, -2.2R, which is the maximum rear camber we could get without aftermarket toe links.

Holy guacamole what an improvement. It felt like an entirely different car.

And here's a picture of my dog.

JL1002133.50
      03-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #212
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

So as I've posted before, I've been going to Korea International Circuit during this winter season. Last weekend was the last weekend of the season, so I headed down there. This time I did three days instead of two, but one of the days was wasted because it rained for half the day then was damp the rest. While some would say "wow great opportunity to practice driving in the rain!" Personally I hate it, zero interest in it, so I just sit around shooting the shit and inhaling 2nd hand smoke the entire time while I wait for the track to dry.

Anyway, on to the trip.

Did most of the trip down in mist/rain.

Damp track...

Some Avante/Veloster/Hyundai dudes were driving in that but I nope'd out of that and just drank Stardust, which I didn't like.

So, to explain KIC a bit, it's broken up into two parts more or less. It's an old F1 track that ran from 2010-2013 in the southern part of the country, placed there because it allows for year round use, but ultimately is what killed F1's use of the track because it's hard to get to and there's nowhere to stay nearby. It's the same thing that happened to India's F1 race. Plus, F1 started asking for more money so that's why most races are in the Middle East now.

Anyway I bring it up because they have a permanent, northern course (which is what is driven on 95% of the time) and then a full course. The full course has the F1 pits, which is where we store cars during the winter season, and the short, permanent course has the support pits, which we use during track days.

The F1 pits are like a blast from the past. Names are still up from the 2013 season, and the dorm facilities have literally not been used since 2013. It's abandoned, and pretty sad.

However the government does still own the facilities, and they are very active with renting the track and doing open track days. I'm glad it's still used as it's a FIA certified track and is well maintained and well designed.

So while we waited for the track to dry, we went and got a GT86 stored on the F1 paddock side so we could change the tires out and run it for the weekend.

The day was pretty much shot due to the rain, although I did do one short session and came in because it was too wet, then did the very last session of the day but the curbs were still wet so I did a terrible laptime. Given the disappointment of a wasted day, and that I took time off to join, we left to go get dinner.

Marinated pork for dinner. Their banchan (side dishes) were pretty good too.

Then after drinking a lot of somek (soju mixed with beer), had to get some more food. After all, it's common to eat while you drink (taboo to just sit at a bar drinking without eating anything, in fact it's nearly impossible to find western style bars here) so we got galbi stew.

Next morning, woke up at my hotel to more rain/damp roads. And by hotel, I mean "love motel" I got a cheap place but the catch is while you can reserve per night, many visitors pay by the hour LOL. But the rooms are nice and clean and cheap and free condoms so out of all of that I enjoy the cheap factor of it.

While we waited for the track to dry we fueled the GT86 and checked out some of the other cars there, such as the Radical team that came. We also prepped some cars that had been there for the entirety of the winter season to get trucked back to Seoul the next day.

Our setup lol

Anyway, so all that walking worked up an appetite so time for lunch. Mind you, day and a half in and I've barely even driven LOL.

It was cold so galbitang was the perfect thing to eat.

While we were eating, the sun came out, and everything started to dry quickly!

Some of the curbs were still slightly wet so I didn't go full send, but I did do almost a second better than my previous best.

End of another day, so time to eat dinner.

Next day was a great day. Temps started out good, about 6-8C, time to go out and go fast.

Only one session in the morning (and three in the afternoon) I was able to get to a 1.33.1.

So time for lunch.

Back at the track.

Last session of the day, fuel warning coming on strong, which went to zero range LOL (still had 6 liters left in the tank when I got gas)...

I did a PB.

So previous track weekend, best I did was 1.35.1, so minus 4 seconds. Stock M2's do about a 1.27, maybe 1.26 if you're fast, so I have 5 seconds to go.

But, I did graduate into B class. I was in C which is 1.33+, and C stands for Chaos, so while I'm nervous about being around faster drivers, now I can follow friends and learn the line better from them. I found that if I was following other folks in C I ended up doing a worse line so this will be better for me, even though at this moment I'm nervous about it. Also some of the folks in C have zero track etiquette, so by moving up to B the chances of having some jackoff crashing into me diminishes.

With that said, I really, really have to change the springs on my Ohlins. These are too soft, and I need more stiffness in the rear. When I first installed them I went with softer spring rates because it was my DD, but it's far softer than it should be. This is my next change.

Ferodo pads performed amazingly. Incredibly happy with them and they are my new pad I will use for the foreseeable future. DS2500 is fine for 20 minute sessions.

While I wanted to get below 1.30 before the season ended, I'll be back out next month to chase that target.

It took us an hour or two to get cars loaded, van loaded, etc with all the stuff from winter season.

With that, went and got gas ($6.71/gal equivalent ugh) and hit the road back home.

While on the way, stopped for one last meal.

And with that, winter season is done! Time for spring session.
tkl64.00
      03-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #213
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
warrenw another amazing post! thanks for sharing! both the cars and the food have me drooling!

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:23 PM   #214
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
warrenw another amazing post! thanks for sharing! both the cars and the food have me drooling!
Thanks! Hope to make it back out in April!
      03-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #215
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
For whatever it's worth, a comment about the "should I update this forum any more" question: this food/build/life thread is pretty much the only reason why I pop over from the F80 forum. If it's not too much work for you, I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers like me who dig your updates.
Appreciate 4
FreeDarko217.00
warrenw1085.50
M2Debt98.00
      03-23-2022, 06:57 PM   #216
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
For whatever it's worth, a comment about the "should I update this forum any more" question: this food/build/life thread is pretty much the only reason why I pop over from the F80 forum. If it's not too much work for you, I'm sure there are a lot of lurkers like me who dig your updates.
Hey boss, that means a lot. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. Hope you're doing well!
      03-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #217
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

I always hate when people do this, posting and being vague, but I have a vague announcement LOL.

I have some changes coming that will further lead my car to be more track-spec than street-spec. Will get 2 things installed this month, then after my private track day at the end of April I'll add the third item.

Stoked!
      03-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #218
Maximus_M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

This thread rocks! Love the food pics (I'm Korean/American btw). Man, you eat like a king! Keep up the great work!
      03-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #219
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_M2 View Post
This thread rocks! Love the food pics (I'm Korean/American btw). Man, you eat like a king! Keep up the great work!
Going to the track is hard work... Gotta boost your caloric intake!
      04-06-2022, 07:36 AM   #220
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep