BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rain Tires for winter west coast USA

09-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #23
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

It doesn’t really matter what tires OP has, none of the Michelin summer tires are good enough for PNW winter (I’m in Vancouver).

Just get some 18x9 cheap wheels and throw propper winter tires on.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OP are you in SoCal? Get PS4S and don't look back. Fantastic wet grip down to 45-50F and decent even at 40F. They are an enormous improvement over PSS. For others who see more 30-40F the AS3+ is great or Sottozero 3 (series II are just ok) or Michelin PA4 for some snow and ice thrown in. I've owned all of these and they are the only tires I would run.

Gotta ask though do you really have Cup 2? Are they shipping M2s with those or did someone install them?
They don't come stock.

If Cup 2's they were installed by someone.
They come on the 763m wheels though.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #25
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Quote:
OP are you in SoCal? Get PS4S and don't look back. Fantastic wet grip down to 45-50F and decent even at 40F. They are an enormous improvement over PSS. For others who see more 30-40F the AS3+ is great or Sottozero 3 (series II are just ok) or Michelin PA4 for some snow and ice thrown in. I've owned all of these and they are the only tires I would run.

Gotta ask though do you really have Cup 2? Are they shipping M2s with those or did someone install them?
They don't come stock.

They come on the 763m wheels though.
Those wheels are super sexy.

09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #26
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Ultra high-performance all season tires.
How's the tread wear on these compared with the OEM Contis and Michelins? I never track my car and would gladly give up a little bit of traction at 10/10ths for some tread life. Replacing tires every 8k is a drag.

Oh, some question on road noise. How do they compare with stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:13 PM   #27
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Ultra high-performance all season tires.
How's the tread wear on these compared with the OEM Contis and Michelins? I never track my car and would gladly give up a little bit of traction at 10/10ths for some tread life. Replacing tires every 8k is a drag.

Oh, some question on road noise. How do they compare with stock?
They are very good and have a 30k mileage warranty.
      09-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Actually the warranty is cut in half because we can’t rotate them. Standard Michelin practice.
Appreciate 3
DETRoadster11462.50
///M TOWN16399.50
tenkies147.00
      09-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #29
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Actually the warranty is cut in half because we can’t rotate them. Standard Michelin practice.
Even cut in half it's still double what I got out of my Conti's before they got all greasy and sketchy.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16399.50
      09-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #30
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:
I didn't know that I just gracefully replace them as more of a safety concern.

Makes sense though.
      09-19-2018, 11:38 PM   #31
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Yes , the car came with the 763M / Cup 2 off the dealer floor . Thanks for everyone's input .
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:52 PM   #32
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledanny6 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Yes , the car came with the 763M / Cup 2 off the dealer floor . Thanks for everyone's input .
Oops well they are not a well rounded street tire that's for curtain.

Lovely wheels though.
      10-30-2018, 12:04 AM   #33
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

The cup 2 tires were mounted on the 763M wheels . I'm assuming that happened at the port , along with M perf coil over suspension. Ordered by sales manager for a sale off the lot . I stumbled onto the car while walking around the lot waiting for an oil change on a 2016 F22 . I had the F22 for 48 hours afterward.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16399.50
      10-30-2018, 12:35 AM   #34
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

The cup 2 tires were mounted on the 763M wheels . I'm assuming that happened at the port , along with M perf coil over suspension. Ordered by sales manager for a sale off the lot . I stumbled onto the car while walking around the lot waiting for an oil change on a 2016 F22 . I had the F22 for 48 hours afterward.
How do you like driving on them?
      10-30-2018, 12:41 AM   #35
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

All of 600 miles ? They're probably too good to use during break-in when not being pushed . They're also probably too good to evaluate how great the car is without them covering my mistakes — I'm actually looking forward to getting the A/S 3 tires mounted on the spare 437M wheels so I can compare the handling with a less performance oriented tire
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:43 AM   #36
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

All of 600 miles ? They're probably too good to use during break-in when not being pushed . They're also probably too good to evaluate how great the car is without them covering my mistakes — I'm actually looking forward to getting the A/S 3 tires mounted on the spare 437M wheels so I can compare the handling with a less performance oriented tire
Did you buy them already
      10-30-2018, 01:45 AM   #37
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already
Wheels and TPMS only . No tires yet
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #38
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already
I think you might want to seriously consider Pilot Sport 4S's. They are the replacement for the Pilot Super Sports. A different League over the A/S 3 Plus, w/lots of great reviews, and they perform fantastic in the wet!
Attached Images

10-30-2018, 02:04 AM   #39
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already
I think you might want to seriously consider Pilot Sport 4S's. They are the replacement for the Pilot Super Sports.

Lots of great reviews and they perform fantastic in the wet.
I have read that , and thanks for mentioning it.
My concern is that if I drive to the north coast of CA , like I do most winters , I have heard the PS4S isn't too good down in the +40deg F range and lower . The comments mentioned rubber composition is not great for cooler road temperatures. I'd probably be ok on the PS4S , but with two sets of wheels , with the back up set , and you can tell I'm wavering , ought to be a bit more "wintery " . The PS4S is such a better tire than the PSS, it could easily be my primary when the Cup2 tires wear out
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:08 AM   #40
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already
I think you might want to seriously consider Pilot Sport 4S's. They are the replacement for the Pilot Super Sports.

My concern is that if I drive to the north coast of CA , like I do most winters , I have heard the PS4S isn't too good down in the +40deg F range and lower . The comments mentioned rubber composition is not great for cooler road temperatures. I'd probably be ok on the PS4S , but with two sets of wheels , with the back up set , and you can tell I'm wavering , ought to be a bit more "wintery " . The PS4S is such a better tire than the PSS, it could easily be my primary when the Cup2 tires wear out
I sooo want a set of Cup 2's.

Oh man I want to spring for them.

Even though the 4S is a logical choice.
      10-30-2018, 02:16 AM   #41
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already

I have a friend with a Subaru WRX STI that had them . He used to race Moto GP and HE says they're sketchy until warm and when in the rain
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:19 AM   #42
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already

I have a friend with a Subaru WRX STI that had them . He used to race Moto GP and HE says they're sketchy until warm and when in the rain
Yeah getting caught in hard rain on some B Roads would totally suck.
      10-30-2018, 02:26 AM   #43
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They don't come stock.

Did you buy them already

Yeah getting caught in hard rain on some B Roads would totally suck.
Like anywhere on PCH and US101 north of Ukiah
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16399.50