BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Rain Tires for winter west coast USA

09-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Rain Tires for winter west coast USA

My M2 was delivered with Michelin PS Cup 2 tires ...
They are very nice , once warmed up and driven on dry roads .
Not being a tread design and composition expert , they appear at a glance to be virtual racing slicks and I am wondering what tires that other drivers are opting to use for wet roads . Just rain. No snow driving for this machine . That's what the Pickup truck is for
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:49 PM   #2
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Subscribed. Same here except I'm up in Seattle. Definitely looking for a winter set that is superb on wet roads and can handle some snow. I'll be installing on a second set of 437m wheels I picked up from a friendly forum member.
      09-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Ultra high-performance all season tires.
Attached Images

AndrewC198910931.00
      09-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncledanny6 View Post
My M2 was delivered with Michelin PSS Cup 2 tires ...
Not being a tread design and composition expert , they appear at a glance to be virtual racing slicks and I am wondering what tires that other drivers are opting to use for wet roads .
Those Cop 2's are best for the track.

Very dangerous if pushed when still cold.
      09-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post

I'm grabbing these for the winter season, November thru April, here in New England.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...2&autoModClar=
      09-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaib7 View Post
Quote:

I'm grabbing these for the winter season, November thru April, here in New England.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...8;autoModClar=
Absolutely why not
      09-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
Subscribed. Same here except I'm up in Seattle. Definitely looking for a winter set that is superb on wet roads and can handle some snow. I'll be installing on a second set of 437m wheels I picked up from a friendly forum member.
Man, do yourself a favor and keep her in the garage if there's snow! Not doubting your driving skills or the capabilities of the M on good tires, but think of all those poorly piloted Prius' sliding towards your baby!
Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910931.00
///M TOWN16342.00
      09-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Get the Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Ultra high-performance all season tires.
This is what I use in Seattle. Actually they are a good all year tire.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN16342.00
AndrewC198910931.00
      09-17-2018, 06:53 PM   #9
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Not being a tread design and composition expert , they appear at a glance to be virtual racing slicks and I am wondering what tires that other drivers are opting to use for wet roads .
A) do you mean your car was delivered with PSS or Pilot Sport Cup 2s?

B) do not buy an "all season" tire as some are suggesting. Waste of money. Get some PSS or PS4S both are great in the wet. You don't need much else in warmer climates.

C) If you live somewhere where it's cold in the winter or snows get a 2nd set of wheels and get a set of snow tires.
      09-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Michilin Pilot Sport 4S for all year unless you are in snow. Their biggest improvement over MPSS is rain. the Cup 2 tires no good cold on rain.....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post

B) do not buy an "all season" tire as some are suggesting. Waste of money. Get some PSS or PS4S both are great in the wet. You don't need much else in warmer climates.

C) If you live somewhere where it's cold in the winter or snows get a 2nd set of wheels and get a set of snow tires.
In Seattle we get below 40 quite often in the winter. PSS or PS4S are not very good at those temperatures. A/S 3+ are a good alternative.
Appreciate 3
AndrewC198910931.00
///M TOWN16342.00
      09-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #12
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

Are you f’in’ kidding? There’s no such thing as “rain” here in So Cal
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:51 PM   #13
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I ran Continental DWS06 on my previous car last winter. Car was similar to an M2 @400hp and RWD. They’re a competitor to the Michelin AS3+.

They were very good in the rain and the 35-45 degree temps we see most of the winter. They were even okay driving home in an unexpected 2" of slushy snow, though I wouldn’t choose to go out on snow with them. They even survived a few winter track days.

However, they were just as sketchy as any other non-winter tire on black ice.

99% of what we call winter in Seattle, they were prey good, and far better than the RE050’s that came on the car, but I’m leaning toward running a performance winter tire this year, like the Sottozero posted above.

I’m curious what people thought overall of the Sottozero, Pilot Alpin, or similar, who have spent some time on them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #14
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

DWS Contis or performance winters...
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      09-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #15
Uncledanny6
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Man, do yourself a favor and keep her in the garage if there's snow! Not doubting your driving skills or the capabilities of the M on good tires, but think of all those poorly piloted Prius' sliding towards your baby!
I have no intention of driving this car in the snow . I just keep hearing that the Cup 2 PSS are a bit too treacherous if you get caught out in the rain.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 01:37 AM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Sottozero Serie II are a really old design though. Only option for stock sizes in 19" sadly, but replaced by the Sottozero 3 a few years ago. I'm sure they will be OK but I'd rather change wheels / sizes and get Michelin PA4 or Sottozero 3 if you had the option.

I don't know if they are made in M2 sizes but the Nokian WR G4 would probably be awesome as well. They are basically a performance winter tire based on the European magazine test results.

If you don't drive much during actual snow then I would definitely consider the Michelin AS or Continental DWS06. On the flip side, X-Ice Xi3 if you do really need to go anywhere in the snow.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime611.50
      09-18-2018, 01:54 AM   #17
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
I have no intention of driving this car in the snow . I just keep hearing that the Cup 2 PSS are a bit too treacherous if you get caught out in the rain.
I'd drive the living shit out of those Cups in the dry otherwise it's nice to have a tire with more diversity.
      09-18-2018, 01:57 AM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Cup 2 actually have good wet grip. What they don't have is good water evacuation ability - hydroplaning resistance. In a downpour, they are probably fine if new and scary as hell if worn.

As other people have mentioned, PS4S is the way to go in wet. Summer tires actually have better wet grip than all seasons, but hydroplaning resistance depends on tread design and tread depth.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2018, 05:39 AM   #19
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

In Seattle we get below 40 quite often in the winter. PSS or PS4S are not very good at those temperatures. A/S 3+ are a good alternative.
Then you need a set of winter tires. Not snow tires but winter tires. AS tires are not good enough for 40 degrees and are low-mediocre in most other conditions as well....for a RWD car with power. If this was an AWD car it'd be fine...but a waste for RWD.
      09-18-2018, 05:40 AM   #20
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:

Sottozero Serie II are a really old design though. Only option for stock sizes in 19" sadly, but replaced by the Sottozero 3 a few years ago. I'm sure they will be OK but I'd rather change wheels / sizes and get Michelin PA4 or Sottozero 3 if you had the option.

I don't know if they are made in M2 sizes but the Nokian WR G4 would probably be awesome as well. They are basically a performance winter tire based on the European magazine test results.

If you don't drive much during actual snow then I would definitely consider the Michelin AS or Continental DWS06. On the flip side, X-Ice Xi3 if you do really need to go anywhere in the snow.
X-ice 3s are surprisingly good in dry weather performance too. They're no PSS obviously but waaaay better than other snow tires as they aren't mushy like Hakka R2s.
      09-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #21
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

OP are you in SoCal? Get PS4S and don't look back. Fantastic wet grip down to 45-50F and decent even at 40F. They are an enormous improvement over PSS. For others who see more 30-40F the AS3+ is great or Sottozero 3 (series II are just ok) or Michelin PA4 for some snow and ice thrown in. I've owned all of these and they are the only tires I would run.

Gotta ask though do you really have Cup 2? Are they shipping M2s with those or did someone install them?
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2018, 08:23 AM   #22
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
OP are you in SoCal? Get PS4S and don't look back. Fantastic wet grip down to 45-50F and decent even at 40F. They are an enormous improvement over PSS. For others who see more 30-40F the AS3+ is great or Sottozero 3 (series II are just ok) or Michelin PA4 for some snow and ice thrown in. I've owned all of these and they are the only tires I would run.

Gotta ask though do you really have Cup 2? Are they shipping M2s with those or did someone install them?
They don't come stock.

If Cup 2's they were installed by someone.