09-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

DSC OFF

From the manual:

"DSC OFF
When DSC OFF is active, driving stability is limited during acceleration and when driving in curves.
Engine tuning switches to a sportier setting"

I though DSC OFF put throttle into comfort mode so what is this "sportier setting"?
      09-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
MDM mode (short press DSC button) puts the throttle into Comfort

DSC OFF (press and hold DSC button) puts the throttle in Sport

Appreciate 2
      09-17-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

That little manual has lots of information in it. No need to start a thread over a question that is in your glovebox really.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #4
madmax240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

TBH, I drive between DSC off and sport + exclusively. if you ask me, I think the throttle mapping in DCS off is not as aggressive as sport +. I would say DCS off feels very much like comfort.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:42 AM   #5
madmax240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

PS - i'm in Australia, but I don't think that should make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax240 View Post
TBH, I drive between DSC off and sport + exclusively. if you ask me, I think the throttle mapping in DCS off is not as aggressive as sport +. I would say DCS off feels very much like comfort.
It says clearly what it is in the chart. If you want to prove it to yourself, it's easy: Start in "comfort" mode. Motor along in 2nd or 3rd gear (steady throttle) while holding down the DSC button. The moment the 'DSC off' indicator lights up on your dash, you'll feel the car accelerate as the mapping changes. At least in my car, it's pretty obvious.

Or, you can go the opposite route: Start in DSC off, and hit the mode switch to go back into comfort. The car will feel lazier.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
DSC off has the same throttle response as sport. Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response.

If you are getting comfort throttle response with DSC off your tpms sensors might not be working.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #8
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
DSC off has the same throttle response as sport. Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response.

If you are getting comfort throttle response with DSC off your tpms sensors might not be working.
If your TPMS decides the tire pressures/temps are out of range and you're in DSC off, it drops you back into 'comfort'. Funnily enough it won't do that if you're in the middle of a TPMS reset; it will let you stay in DSC off, including Sport throttle mapping.

When autocrossing, TPMS used to get upset with the combination of temps and pressures where the RE71s work best, so I reset TPMS before the start of each run. Works a treat.

Other AXers tell me if you use wheels with no TPMS sensors, it's happy to let you choose any mode you want, albeit with the TPMS light staying on.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #9
madmax240
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

I don't drive in comfort, except by accident. but I can say for sure DSC off is less aggressive than Sport +. don't know how to check TPMS sensors. they seem ok to me.

last check by a wheel alignment place showed pressures where a little high.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Why would off put it in Comfort. Totally the opposite.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
I would say DCS off feels very much like comfort.
I agree. It's very lax and feels like shitty comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

I don't drive in comfort, except by accident. but I can say for sure DSC off is less aggressive than Sport +. don't know how to check TPMS sensors. they seem ok to me.

last check by a wheel alignment place showed pressures where a little high.
DSC off should be sport throttle, not sport+. Compare it to Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

The reason that the BMW engineers slowed throttle response and DCT shift speed down in "DSC off" mode is to keep the average numbskull from snap spinning in a high speed sweeper when upshifting from say 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th (if your car has been tuned to 450+hp) in the middle of said sweeper.

To demonstrate, put your car in Sport+ and go to the twisties and upshift under full throttle in a sweeper and you will instantly feel your car step out and then catch itself (without lifting throttle), this is the DSC saving your backside.

Now, imagine that same abrupt shift speed and hyper sensitive throttle response in DSC off mode...your hands better be extremely quick and your brain even quicker to anticipate the impending rotation...this is why the engineers are smarter than the average bear

Cleve
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

In DSC Off, you have a more linear throttle rather than the Sport+ throttle which is rapid and has no real point past about 60-70% the pedal travel. The reduced throttle sensitivity helps the driver fine tune and adjust throttle inputs to keep from having a rapid surge of torque that can quickly overwhelm the rear tires. It's most definitely the way to go in track driving or in the hands of a solid driver hammering it on some B roads.

Have you guys actually proven that the N55 M2 has three throttle settings? I could have sworn it only has Sport and Comfort. Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ is something found on the M3, M4, and perhaps the M2C.
      09-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
In DSC Off, you have a more linear throttle rather than the Sport+ throttle which is rapid and has no real point past about 60-70% the pedal travel. The reduced throttle sensitivity helps the driver fine tune and adjust throttle inputs to keep from having a rapid surge of torque that can quickly overwhelm the rear tires. It's most definitely the way to go in track driving or in the hands of a solid driver hammering it on some B roads.

Have you guys actually proven that the N55 M2 has three throttle settings? I could have sworn it only has Sport and Comfort. Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ is something found on the M3, M4, and perhaps the M2C.
The OG M2 absolutely has 3 separate modes. Per the chart above, and also per anyone who has cycled through them while driving. They're very distinct.

You're absolutely right about the DSC Off setting, though. I definitely would not want to have the Sport+throttle setting with DSC off. Too hair-trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #16
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I find Sport throttle mapping the most natural feeling and almost feels like a linear map. Sport+ is a bit too trigger happy and it takes a while to get used to it; while, Comfort is just lazy throttle. I also like the steering “feel” in Sport and Sport+; in Comfort mode, it’s just too boosted.

DSC Off is great on track once you get used to the car. Sport map for throttle and steering and nice rotation with the slightest of slip angles on corner exit. Superb!
Appreciate 1
ajvdh217.00