BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Good deal on 2018 M2?

08-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #23
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
FYI, I don’t believe this car has the M performance exhaust. These are not the standard tips at least. Maybe someone that has M-Performance exhaust with aftermarket tips can chime in here. Could be that previous owner didn’t want to spring for the oem tips, $$$, or more likely this is standard exhaust with aftermarket tips.
The controller for the exhaust can be seen in the interior pic (its in the cup holder). So I'm fairly confident its an MPE (I'll confirm when I go test drive it). Isnt there 2 styles of OEM tips? CF and titanium? Those look like the titanium tips to me, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Even if they're not OEM tips, I do not really care much, it'll give me some ammo to get them to come down on the price a bit

EDIT 2: Link to titanium tips: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Exhaust/...-Required.html

Last edited by detroitm2; 08-28-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #24
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post
The controller for the exhaust can be seen in the interior pic (its in the cup holder). So I'm fairly confident its an MPE (I'll confirm when I go test drive it). Isnt there 2 styles of OEM tips? CF and titanium? Those look like the titanium tips to me, but I could be wrong.
The tips in the photo you posted aren't the OEM titanium tips. No question or doubt about it. The exhaust might be an MPE but the tips are aftermarket. Worst case scenario you can take them off and replace with OEM.
Appreciate 2
      08-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #25
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:

EDIT: Even if they're not OEM tips, I do not really care much, it'll give me some ammo to get them to come down on the price a bit

EDIT 2: Link to titanium tips: https://www.bimmerworld.com/Exhaust/...-Required.html
Good catch on the controller, I didn’t see it. That is a great sign for you. Just trying to give you the best info, knowledge is power when it comes to these negotiations!

I edited my post while you were replying with pictures of oem titanium tips for comparison for you to use as leverage. Good luck!
      08-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
The tips in the photo you posted aren't the OEM titanium tips. No question or doubt about it. The exhaust might be an MPE but the tips are aftermarket. Worst case scenario you can take them off and replace with OEM.
They appear to be OEM, just not the M2 specific ones. Maybe M3? They have a BMW part number assigned to them. (18302358111)

worse case scenario I leave them on. Not being OEM isn't a huge deal for me, they look fine IMO. But to each their own
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #27
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
Good catch on the controller, I didn’t see it. That is a great sign for you. Just trying to give you the best info, knowledge is power when it comes to these negotiations!

I edited my post while you were replying with pictures of oem titanium tips for comparison for you to use as leverage. Good luck!
Right on. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #28
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
I'll be bringing my own financing. I get great rates from my CU and I've been doing business with them for years, no reason to switch now.

As for the CPO, that does seem strange, particularly if its a BMW dealer. Its in their best interest to CPO it as it raises the value of the car (they can sell it for more). I dont really know why they would be giving you the run around on it. Is there some kind of cost involved (other than time) for a dealership to CPO a car?
I agree. It's not the one I've got a deposit on so I'm not worried about it but I've been messing with the dealership a little bit because its just such a mystery. They say it didn't have the 1200 mile service and that's why it's not CPO. The CarFax on the suspect one is a bit odd too.... no records before being sold at Eastern Auto Auction and then was at one BMW dealership outside Chicago for several months before being sold to another nearby BMW dealership where it's currently listed. Very odd.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to hi-jack your thread other than to say it sounds like you've got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #29
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
They appear to be OEM, just not the M2 specific ones. Maybe M3? They have a BMW part number assigned to them. (18302358111)

worse case scenario I leave them on. Not being OEM isn't a huge deal for me, they look fine IMO. But to each their own
Idc what you do either way I'm just telling you that these aren't OEM tips:

What you do with that information is your business, I'm just informing you so you know.
Appreciate 2
qnet681.50
      08-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Also,

Just got the carfax, clean title, service was done at a local BMW dealership at 1241 miles. Looks like they had it in for another service at 2819, and another at 3356 with a battery replacement.
Carfax is useless. Just saying.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16342.00
      08-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #31
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:

What you do with that information is your business, I'm just informing you so you know.
They stick out to far IMO.

Car has rear reflectors nicely deleted !!
      08-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #32
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

This car was likely modded more than you think.

Do they have the original window sticker for the vehicle? Would be good to know which parts were port installed and which weren't. Willing to bet none of the parts were port installed. Not a big deal, but it's possible the quality of the installation isn't great.

It could be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the exhaust tips on the left side are hanging slightly lower than the right side. Additionally, the fact he didn't use OEM tips on that exhaust is a bit strange. I suppose he was trying to save money, but I'm not a fan of finding cost-cutting tactics on M cars.

Also, a battery replacement at 3K miles? Lol. Would love to understand the specifics around that one. I'm willing to bet he took the battery out while he was working on the engine and set it on the concrete, which is known to kill batteries (although nobody seems to know exactly why). My guess...he took the battery out while he was removing his modifications prior to selling the car. if he took the battery out to do it, he probably had a decent amount of mods on it.

Plus, the vehicle seems to have moved around a bit from auction house to dealerships. All of these reasons combine to justify a lower asking price for the car. It's still a good deal from a price standpoint. However, if I were buying the car with the goal of keeping it long-term, I'd probably look elsewhere because I'm picky and this one has some possible flags.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #33
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I'd have the car checked by a body shop. Sometimes cars can be fixed "under the table" and it doesn't show up on the carfax. It happened to me once when looking at an almost new Audi S4 with 2,000 miles on it. The car had a clean carfax but when I "eyeballed" the side of the car it was obvious that it had been side swiped. If you really want to get picky, have BMW check the car's computer to see how the car had been operated. Was the engine ever overboosted etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #34
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

My gut tells me this is one you should walk away from. When you're paying $50K for a used performance car, you want to find the best example. This isn't it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #35
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I'd have the car checked by a body shop. Sometimes cars can be fixed "under the table" and it doesn't show up on the carfax. It happened to me once when looking at an almost new Audi S4 with 2,000 miles on it. The car had a clean carfax but when I "eyeballed" the side of the car it was obvious that it had been side swiped. If you really want to get picky, have BMW check the car's computer to see how the car had been operated. Was the engine ever overboosted etc.
Do we really want to see this though (re: checking the computer)? Ideally the first owners babied the car but in reality they are M cars so would you expect to not see it overboosted? But also I'm not familiar with how the Overboost feature works so perhaps I should do some homework...

Kind of like not wanting to know your partners sexual history before you came along... lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #36
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2audioman View Post
My gut tells me this is one you should walk away from. When you're paying $50K for a used performance car, you want to find the best example. This isn't it.
Well you never know about used cars. I decided after my last car search that when buying a performance car it would have to be either new, CPO'd or from a private party that I trusted. I've seen people do crazy sh*t with their cars that I would never do. I mean like abusive stuff for no reason.
If I were buying a luxury car then I would be less concerned.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #37
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Those look like the cyba exhaust tips. If so chances are the previous owner frequented these forums as they are sold on here.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #38
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Well you never know about used cars. I decided after my last car search that when buying a performance car it would have to be either new, CPO'd or from a private party that I trusted. I've seen people do crazy sh*t with their cars that I would never do. I mean like abusive stuff for no reason.
If I were buying a luxury car then I would be less concerned.
Yeah. Hard to trust buying used performance cars that aren't CPO'd or from a solid Private Party.

Bought my 2018 M2 with port installed M options exactly as I wanted it, so I wouldn't have to mod it at all afterwards. My car is still stock and will always be.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #39
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
Do we really want to see this though (re: checking the computer)? Ideally the first owners babied the car but in reality they are M cars so would you expect to not see it overboosted? But also I'm not familiar with how the Overboost feature works so perhaps I should do some homework...

Kind of like not wanting to know your partners sexual history before you came along... lol.
Even though there are a large percentage of people in this for that tune their cars (boost beyond normal levels). In the wild most cars are not tuned.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #40
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Too suspicious for me. Plenty of used ones around with 3.5k on them for low 50s.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #41
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Got some more info from the dealer. The aftermarket stuff was installed at the original dealership when the car was bought. No idea on the tips.

I'm waiting on a window sticker from the original sale and plan to go check it out in person tonight. A friend of mine is a BMW tech and has offered to look it over for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #42
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

Cyba tips I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #43
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Also, a battery replacement at 3K miles? Lol. Would love to understand the specifics around that one. I'm willing to bet he took the battery out while he was working on the engine and set it on the concrete, which is known to kill batteries (although nobody seems to know exactly why). My guess...he took the battery out while he was removing his modifications prior to selling the car. if he took the battery out to do it, he probably had a decent amount of mods on it.

Plus, the vehicle seems to have moved around a bit from auction house to dealerships. All of these reasons combine to justify a lower asking price for the car. It's still a good deal from a price standpoint. However, if I were buying the car with the goal of keeping it long-term, I'd probably look elsewhere because I'm picky and this one has some possible flags.
I think thats a bit of a stretch to assume a battery replacement means it was left on concrete. You may be right, dont get me wrong, I just think its stretching a bit.

Not sure why you think it was moved around from auction house to dealers? It was at exactly 3 dealers, 2 of which were in the same group (likely right next door to each other). There are no auction houses listed on the carfax report.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #44
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
This car was likely modded more than you think.

Do they have the original window sticker for the vehicle? Would be good to know which parts were port installed and which weren't. Willing to bet none of the parts were port installed. Not a big deal, but it's possible the quality of the installation isn't great.

It could be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the exhaust tips on the left side are hanging slightly lower than the right side. Additionally, the fact he didn't use OEM tips on that exhaust is a bit strange. I suppose he was trying to save money, but I'm not a fan of finding cost-cutting tactics on M cars.

The cost of the OEM tips is outrageous. It would be almost impossible to screw up the tip installation so one side hangs lower than the other, so I doubt it. More like one side comes out farther than the other if anything in which case, uh, re install it.

I would be most worried about if the car was tuned, does BMW know it has been tuned? and if so what does that mean for the warranty. Someone bought a car from used car lot that was said to have warranty then they show up at BMW and BMW goes oh shit there is a fucking piggy back tune box on the car the last owner left on the car, sorry warranty void. Even if in this case everything was uninstalled it's possible BMW either has already flagged the car in their system as had been tuned, or they will flag it in their system as having been tuned when you take it into them in the future.

I would try to get a BMW dealership to do whatever it is they do to search for evidence of a previous or current tune so that you don't get surprised later if there is an issue and they deny warranty.

Battery I don't know. Busted batteries I don't think a common problem on M2 or 2 series. I wouldn't be that concerned about it, though as you say it may indicate some more mod shenanigans you don't know about.

Last edited by akkando; 08-28-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0