BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M2 Competition Seats fit in OG M2?

07-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Grimlock85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3 / 135i

M2 Competition Seats fit in OG M2?

Do you guys think the M2 Competition seats will fit in the OG M2? For an M car, the OG M2 really should of been given some nicer seats. Just wondering if you guys think people will be able to easily retrofit this on the older M2 models.

I'm guessing it might be tough to get the logo to light up
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

yes
      07-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

The whole interior of the M2 and M2C should be based on the 2-series with no changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
The whole interior of the M2 and M2C should be based on the 2-series with no changes.
Meaning the m2c's will still be slightly crooked?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Meaning the m2c's will still be slightly crooked?
Presumably. It's not straight because they don't have a choice for rail placement and maintain the width. Not enough of a concern to fix or even to work around.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #6
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I'm getting a set of M4 seats installed end of the week in my LCI. They fit. They are the same as the M2C seats...except they are better leather Merino v. Dakota...and they have a custom Alcantara insert instead of those tacky blue or orange patches. I bought them from a guy who had them installed in his M2 but is selling it, so he parted out the seats and a few other pieces. Sales thread is in the Regional/Canada forum if you want to see pics.
Appreciate 3
      07-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #7
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
I'm getting a set of M4 seats installed end of the week in my LCI. They fit. They are the same as the M2C seats...except they are better leather Merino v. Dakota...and they have a custom Alcantara insert instead of those tacky blue or orange patches. I bought them from a guy who had them installed in his M2 but is selling it, so he parted out the seats and a few other pieces. Sales thread is in the Regional/Canada forum if you want to see pics.
Seat stitching doesn't match though. Deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 4
kfscoll208.50
DrKevM52273.50
ried791.50
      08-01-2018, 03:30 AM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Yup they fit and I am working with another member here and my dealer to find out what it costs to do it.

As soon as my M2C has arrived, I will work out a package for you guys here to see what the total costs are based on a dealer installing them.

In the end, we then know what the max costs are and that it can only be cheaper than what I suggest.

MR
Appreciate 8
Who?484.50
Guydj151.00
as7920597.00
qnet681.50
AngryBaby344.50
Altra265.50
AlexCirci496.50
      08-01-2018, 08:25 AM   #9
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Seat stitching doesn't match though. Deal breaker for me.
I'm not that OCD. in the LCI, there is grey "stitching" on the dash and the knee pad...so it's not consistent to begin with. Plus IMO the upgrades (leather, alcantara) outweigh the stitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Yup they fit and I am working with another member here and my dealer to find out what it costs to do it.

As soon as my M2C has arrived, I will work out a package for you guys here to see what the total costs are based on a dealer installing them.

In the end, we then know what the max costs are and that it can only be cheaper than what I suggest.

MR
One issue OG M2 owners are going to have is the illumination on the seat badge. the wiring harness in the OG is not equipped to have these illuminate. I am having the installer looking at a fix, and will update accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 01:54 AM   #10
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
One issue OG M2 owners are going to have is the illumination on the seat badge. the wiring harness in the OG is not equipped to have these illuminate. I am having the installer looking at a fix, and will update accordingly.
Shouldn't be too hard to make wire go to the interior lighting.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #11
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

I was told by my go-to parts manager that the new seats have to be made to order, as in the price is not set as a pre-made package, but rather you need to pay for the individual pieces separate like the leather, the alcantara, etc.

Anyone hear otherwise?
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      08-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #12
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
I was told by my go-to parts manager that the new seats have to be made to order, as in the price is not set as a pre-made package, but rather you need to pay for the individual pieces separate like the leather, the alcantara, etc.

Anyone hear otherwise?
i don't think he meant leather and alcantara lol, but the seat base, leather cover, back rest, back cover, frame etc

the good thing is, I've disassembled the m4 seats, and it isn't hard to put together, the bad part is, it'll be insanely expensive as buying spare parts (which is what you'll be doing) is always overpriced (as an example, the seat base leather costs USD1000, this is JUST the leather, not even including the backrest leather)
      08-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm not that OCD. in the LCI, there is grey "stitching" on the dash and the knee pad...so it's not consistent to begin with. Plus IMO the upgrades (leather, alcantara) outweigh the stitching.

i guarantee you it'll be cheaper to buy a used m4 seat and reupholstering it, the badge, people have already illuminated on their retrofits (im too lazy to go the extra mile to figure this out)
      08-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Quote:

Anyone hear otherwise?
i don't think he meant leather and alcantara lol, but the seat base, leather cover, back rest, back cover, frame etc

the good thing is, I've disassembled the m4 seats, and it isn't hard to put together, the bad part is, it'll be insanely expensive as buying spare parts (which is what you'll be doing) is always overpriced (as an example, the seat base leather costs USD1000, this is JUST the leather, not even including the backrest leather)
Lol sorry that's what I meant but just read how it can be interpreted. Yes each individual leather cover needs to be purchased separate as BMW has yet to sell this as a single unit. Although he said the same thing about the m4 seats as well, but it's possible he was talking about the competition seats...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

What about the M mirrors? What’s it going to take for a member to retro fit those?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Lol sorry that's what I meant but just read how it can be interpreted. Yes each individual leather cover needs to be purchased separate as BMW has yet to sell this as a single unit. Although he said the same thing about the m4 seats as well, but it's possible he was talking about the competition seats...
I did mean Leather and Alcantara. To clarify...the seats I bought originally came out of an M4 and are the regular M4 sport seats (same style as the new M2C seats). However this particular set has Merino leather instead of Dakota (M2C) and they have been customized by the folks at IND to include alcantara coverings on the seat bottom and front portion where you normally have the perforated leather - and the (IMO) tacky coloured patches on the M2C seats. In additional the seat backs have been covered in alcantara - with only the centre "strip" remaining plastic - which I plan to get a set of CF inserts and paint them LBB. Photos below... Also FWIW, I tried to price out purchasing all the parts necessary for the seats (as it has been mentioned, you can't simply buy the seat as a whole unit)...yeah...it was over $10K!!! Not sure if @MR. is going to be able to figure out how to get a package price. Hope so for the rest of you OG owners that want the M2C seats.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
ried791.50
Dino355255.00
      08-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #17
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
What about the M mirrors? What’s it going to take for a member to retro fit those?
About $2K, lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #18
subliminalaudio
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hehe
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      08-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #19
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I did mean Leather and Alcantara. To clarify...the seats I bought originally came out of an M4 and are the regular M4 sport seats (same style as the new M2C seats). However this particular set has Merino leather instead of Dakota (M2C) and they have been customized by the folks at IND to include alcantara coverings on the seat bottom and front portion where you normally have the perforated leather - and the (IMO) tacky coloured patches on the M2C seats. In additional the seat backs have been covered in alcantara - with only the centre "strip" remaining plastic - which I plan to get a set of CF inserts and paint them LBB. Photos below... Also FWIW, I tried to price out purchasing all the parts necessary for the seats (as it has been mentioned, you can't simply buy the seat as a whole unit)...yeah...it was over $10K!!! Not sure if @MR. is going to be able to figure out how to get a package price. Hope so for the rest of you OG owners that want the M2C seats.
Hey,

You ordered the Merino leather material by an part number(s) individually or it comes as one piece, and you cut-to-fit it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Even if you can get the Merino I would avoid it personally if the car is a daily driver. If you look at pics of the M3/M4 after like 30k miles the leather looks beat to hell on most cars. It feels nice, not as artificial and rubbery as Dakota, but Dakota will still look great 5 years from now.
Appreciate 3
      08-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #21
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
They fit like a dream
JB - looking at the photos - bigger side bolsters give added benefit of "Braille parking for yr ar$e" when getting into yr car now !!!

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      08-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #22
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Spirit View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hey,

You ordered the Merino leather material by an part number(s) individually or it comes as one piece, and you cut-to-fit it ?
No. They are originally M4 seats so they came with Merino. OP has taken it one step further and replaced the Merino with the Dakota on his set to match the rest of the car (applause!!). I suppose now that the M2C seats are out, one could simply order the Dakota leathers from BMW, already with the blue stitching and just replace the Merino on a set of M4 seats. The point being that to try and build the entire set of ///M seats out of parts costs an absolute fortune, whereas if you can get a set of used seats, you can keep the cost down. The trick is finding a set!! And they have to/should be F82 seats b/c the F80 seats don't fold forward.
Appreciate 2
M2C_PLUS1774.00