BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > American BMW M2 Buyers Are Saving The Manual Gearbox From Death

09-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #45
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Looks like this thread just went full McNugget. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted...

Why don't we start a thread about how connecting your didgeridoo to your CD player isn't really karaoke...
Why don’t we just “throw a shrimp on the barbie?” I wager I’d be eating it before you though as you have probably made the decision to light your $1000 3 burner barbecue with flint as it is more authentic than pressing a button.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 07:20 AM   #46
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Pull left paddle to downshift.
Pull right paddle to upshift.
Pull trigger to blow my brains out.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #47
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Pull left paddle to downshift.
Pull right paddle to upshift.
Pull trigger to blow my brains out.
Well guns are another thing you guys are passionate about...

You guys should have done this manual thing 20 years ago when you were all buying automatics and everyone else was buying manuals. Things have moved on.

I’ll stop now.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      09-12-2018, 11:26 PM   #48
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
I’ll stop now.
Don't make promises you won't keep.
Davil6524.50
      09-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #49
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
We look back on that the way the next generation will look at the gas and diesel cars.
I am a car guy but the future is clear to me.
Ridiculous... but fun.

Obsolete... but fun.

Agreed that the future (the electric [car] singularity ) is clear... but that doesn't mean I have to like it.
      09-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #50
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Well guns are another thing you guys are passionate about...
strangely enough, "automatic" assault rifles
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      09-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #51
BOhio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

The smug Aussie might engage in jumping to conclusions, and bigotry, elsewhere. A bit passive aggressive, too, mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #52
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOhio View Post

The smug Aussie might engage in jumping to conclusions, and bigotry, elsewhere. A bit passive aggressive, too, mate.
That's called banter. Note the

Love the US. 50 countries in one. I have visited 15 of them. Some have banter as part of their culture some don't. My wife and kids are US citizens.

Anyway. Just having fun and maybe presenting a case for people that feel compelled to post "shame about the DCT" on every thread to pause and consider that there are cases for both sides.

That, and of course DCT is just better
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #53
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
strangely enough, "automatic" assault rifles
Not true. Have to manually pull the trigger each time.
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      09-15-2018, 04:41 AM   #54
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

I was delighted Porsche brought back a proper 6MT for the 991.2 GT3, though I fear (and hear) this is the last. And the last naturally aspirated, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #55
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Possibly a Technical section question, but as there are plenty of other 6MT owners here: The actual shift action between and into gears on mine is improving after 12 months and 6k miles, but still isn't great (particularly in the lower gears). Basically a combination of rubbery and notchy. The courtesy car when it was being serviced (a 1 series) was significantly more free and smooth. My E46 330ci shopping car is better as well, and that actually has some slop in it, and detent pins on 5th that stick in cold weather.

I'm guessing that everyone else's feels better but would be interested in comparing notes before mentioning it to the supplying dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #56
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post
Did you get DCT?
Of course. I have another old car that has manual. It gives the full retro experience. A manual M2 is like connecting a VHS player to an OLED 4K TV.

Plus, the old car isn't semi-assisted and clunky like the M2 "manual" box.

A DCT M2 is like having an automated toaster that has a mechanism to put the toast into the toaster instead of the simple and satisfying act of just dropping the toast in.

Unnecessary, more to break, less tactile sensation, and just a product of modernity rather than control.
      09-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get DCT?
Of course. I have another old car that has manual. It gives the full retro experience. A manual M2 is like connecting a VHS player to an OLED 4K TV.

A DCT M2 is like having an automated toaster that has a mechanism to put the toast into the toaster instead of the simple and satisfying act of just dropping the toast in.

Unnecessary, more to break, less tactile sensation, and just a product of modernity rather than control.
You know looking at the DCT reliability vs MT on e90 and f80 I'm not so sure the MT is more reliable. I think I see more posts about MT needing work than DCT, and they sold more DCT cars.

Obviously the DCT is more expensive to replace though if it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:22 AM   #58
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You know looking at the DCT reliability vs MT on e90 and f80 I'm not so sure the MT is more reliable. I think I see more posts about MT needing with than DCT, and they sold more DCT cars.

Dont think I'd base a decision on internet forum post random sampling. I think I see more posts on...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #59
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get DCT?

You know looking at the DCT reliability vs MT on e90 and f80 I'm not so sure the MT is more reliable. I think I see more posts about MT needing with than DCT, and they sold more DCT cars.

Well if I compare the manual vs DCT 1Ms sold then I find...oh wait I drive a car that was never offered in anything other than a manual!! Hurrah!!
      09-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #60
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

TBH, manual is the most at mercy of driver technique. Then DCT. Then an enormous gulf to automatic which is almost foolproof (if well designed).

I’ve always been very sympathetic with my manuals. Never idle in gear with the clutch depressed. Always use the handbrake. Never ride the clutch. Don’t drive with hand resting on the gear knob. Etc etc. That way they are very reliable and last much longer.

Although I do remember BMW did go through an era of clutch shudder. Didn’t have it on my 2002, e21s or e30s but the non M e36 was prone to this, the M was fine. Not sure if this is still a problem though.

Last edited by Davil; 09-16-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #61
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Quote:

Dont think I'd base a decision on internet forum post random sampling. I think I see more posts on...
Well I don't have any other data so..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #62
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
TBH, manual is the most at mercy of driver technique. Then DCT. Then an enormous gulf to automatic which is almost foolproof (if well designed).

I’ve always been very sympathetic with my manuals. Never idle in gear with the clutch depressed. Always use the handbrake. Never ride the clutch. Don’t drive with hand resting on the gear knob. Etc etc. That way they are very reliable and last much longer.
I have been told by at least one service adviser that the admonition to "never idle in gear with the clutch depressed" isn't based on anything. When the clutch is depressed there is no engagement of the gear and no wear going on, with the possible exception of the spring that suspends the clutch pedal in place. I'm not a mechanic so I can't confirm any of this.
      09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #63
joec1101
BMW Fanaddict
Rep
Drives: '18 F87 ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I have been told by at least one service adviser that the admonition to "never idle in gear with the clutch depressed" isn't based on anything. When the clutch is depressed there is no engagement of the gear and no wear going on, with the possible exception of the spring that suspends the clutch pedal in place. I'm not a mechanic so I can't confirm any of this.
The wear that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed is on the clutch components (i.e. throw out bearing, pressure plate). I really don't think it makes much difference, though. There's always going to be some amount of wear, however slight, just with the motor running. But if you're shifting correctly and not riding the clutch, it should be fine for a good while. You will most likely go through a few clutches before you ever need to replace/repair the gearbox, unless you're just downright thrashing the vehicle.

As far as 6MT vs DCT, mine is a 6MT, which I prefer, but I don't think it would be a total deal breaker for me if I could only get an M2 in a DCT.

Manuals are slowly going away because as time marches on, people are getting more and more inherently lazy and don't want to do anything manually, especially shift a car gearbox. If you ask most younger people, they probably would not choose to shift manually and probably never have or even could drive a manual. And those younger people are the same people that are replacing all the "old schoolers" in the Automotive design and engineering world, so those are the ideals that will be driving our future, however scary that may be...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #64
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
He's wrong. You can wear out a throwout bearing. I bought a used E46 330 some years back with 60k miles on it. I don't idle in gear with the pedal down, but the previous owner apparently did. I could always feel a little pulsing through the clutch pedal. By 90,000 miles it was alarming, so I took it to my independent BMW shop. He said the throwout bearing was so worn it was starting to weld itself in place, but the clutch itself still had plenty of meat left on it.
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      09-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #65
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
There are quite a few cars from Mercedes that I think I would like. Alas, with no manual transmission options, I don't even bother looking.

Manual or bust.
No kidding. Totally narrows brand and car options for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #66
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

If BMW stops offering a manual, they wont be able to charge an extra $3k for the DCT.

Therefore, they should always offer a manual as the standard tranny.

Plus, the manual is just more fun!
Appreciate 0