BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > What's the best, affordable exhaust mod? Dinan?

09-21-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

What's the best, affordable exhaust mod? Dinan?

I have a 2018 M2, and I'm wondering if I could get some opinions on how best to increase/improve exhaust sound?

While I love how it sounds right now, I wouldn't mind if it was a little louder and more aggressive.

Not ready to spend $3,000 + for the MPE... I also don't want to piss off the neighbors (well, not too badly)

My son, who's 19, suggested I put in a Dinan Resonator Delete Kit... about $266, plus installation.

Does this improve the sound noticeably? Anyone have it and care to give me their feedback? Negatives?

Alternatives?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

A catted dp is the most affordable and cost effective mod to the exhaust you can make. It'll make it louder and deeper, and unlike an exhaust it'll provide some performance gains. A lot of companies make them, I have a Wagner. Fabspeed is one of the other popular ones.

You can do the resonator delete kit at the same time as DP install very easily.
Appreciate 2
ShelJW359.50
AndrewC198910903.50
      09-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A shop near me says he can put in a valve, which would remotely open and close the standard exhaust.

That way, it could sound loud when I want it to, and if I want it quieter, I press the button on the remote and it would return to standard exhaust... anyone heard of or have a system like that?

He quoted $1500.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
A shop near me says he can put in a valve, which would remotely open and close the standard exhaust.

That way, it could sound loud when I want it to, and if I want it quieter, I press the button on the remote and it would return to standard exhaust... anyone heard of or have a system like that?

He quoted $1500.
The MPE has a bluetooth remote that does that. $1,500 sounds awful expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #5
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

The stock exhaust already has a valve. There are several way to control it if you want. +1 on the catted DP. You'll get improved sound, volume, power and responsiveness.
      09-21-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

He quoted $1500.
Car comes with one already . Just take it out of comfort mode. I personally always drive in traction mode (short push of DSC off button) for the extra burbles
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
A catted dp is the most affordable and cost effective mod to the exhaust you can make. It'll make it louder and deeper, and unlike an exhaust it'll provide some performance gains. A lot of companies make them, I have a Wagner. Fabspeed is one of the other popular ones.

+1
Mine is a HJS 300 cell ! Amazing on its own.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #8
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

yep

Quote:
Car comes with one already . Just take it out of comfort mode. I personally always drive in traction mode (short push of DSC off button) for the extra burbles
man on man, I agree completely. that was the single best new owner tip EVER. love tooling around town in comfort mode after quick push of the DSC button. i'd be willing to make a gofundme donation as a reward to the OP on that particular gem. i am reasonably certain it is actually louder and more lively than when in sport plus mode.

my only complaint about the exhaust is the meh tips that look like they came off a Honda Accord. BMW could have been butched them up a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:

He quoted $1500.
$1500 is way way way too high!

I think the unit he may be talking about is https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=19726366.

What it does is override the stock signal to the signals you specify when you order the controller. You can then use the remote or sync it to your homelink to open/close your valves based on the preset behavior. It works with the stock exhaust or any exhaust that uses the stock controller (like remus).

To install, it takes about 30 minutes if you don't know what you're doing, maybe 10 minutes if you do.

I really like the controller since I have full control over the flaps no matter what mode I'm in (in fact you can even set one of the presets to default mode if you like the stock behavior).
Appreciate 2
DanG10444.00
ShelJW359.50
      09-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
$1500 is way way way too high!

I think the unit he may be talking about is https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-1...egory=19726366.

What it does is override the stock signal to the signals you specify when you order the controller. You can then use the remote or sync it to your homelink to open/close your valves based on the preset behavior. It works with the stock exhaust or any exhaust that uses the stock controller (like remus).

I really like the controller since I have full control over the flaps no matter what mode I'm in (in fact you can even set one of the presets to default mode if you like the stock behavior).
This sounds great, and very reasonably priced, but it sounds like it simply opens up the existing flaps, it won't make the M2 any louder.

Quote:

Sounds like what I'm looking for! Does it cause the car to drone?

Any suggestions between Wagner, Dinan, Fabspeed...?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #11
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
This sounds great, and very reasonably priced, but it sounds like it simply opens up the existing flaps, it won't make the M2 any louder.
I have the CG VSC-1 that I use with my exhaust set up (fabspeed + remus) and I can vouch for it. You're supposed to use in tandem with a cat/exhaust. It's not a stand alone modification. It's to control when the car is loud and when it's quiet. It's useless on a stock exhaust but very handy once you make your car loud and need it quiet at times (early morning, cold start, etc.)

Quote:

Thanks!
Dinan doesn't make any cats. They only make a secondary res delete and a catback exhaust.

Wagner dp isn't guaranteed to not give a CEL while fabspeed is...so based on that fact alone I would reccomend you go fabspeed.

My first set up was the fabspeed 200cell sport cat + a dinan res delete.

I have an entire review/write up about it with plenty of video/sound clips that will help you in your decision:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1355352
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #12
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - 6MT

Quote:

He quoted $1500.
Instead of doing that, get an App called Bimmer Link and an obdII wireless adapter. It'll save you about 1440 dollars

That plus a catless downpipe would sound great.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      09-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #13
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:

Thanks!
I’ve had the Fabspeed one on for a year, no cel & no drone. The slightly deeper sound & increased volume has been just right for me. Also coded off ASD, so it’s a true sound now (love that) and the slight bump in power is a nice bonus.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 MG MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
I’ve had the Fabspeed one on for a year, no cel & no drone. The slightly deeper sound & increased volume has been just right for me. Also coded off ASD, so it’s a true sound now (love that) and the slight bump in power is a nice bonus.
I've had my Fabspeed for 6 months, but otherwise ditto.

Get it and keep the windows rolled down.
Appreciate 1
Aloha Joe391.00
      09-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #15
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
i vote catless down pipe, but you'll need to get a tune to cancel the check engine light. sport cat is my second vote. no tune needed.

oh and that $1500 valve is most likely an exhaust bypass installed just behind the cat. kids in civics used to put those on in the early 2000s.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #16
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

Try a Fabspeed catted downpipe. Better sound and more HP abs torque than a new exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #17
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
Try a Fabspeed catted downpipe. Better sound and more HP abs torque than a new exhaust.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
I've got the Wagner and I have a cel. I knew the risk not getting the Fabspeed but I didnt care. Didn't get a tune either. I had a budget and that had to pay for track wheels, extra tires and intercooler.

If I could do it all over I'd go with Al's suggestion and go catless to use that extra savings on other things.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #19
WSU2M2
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
OEM Exhaust Muffler Mod
Resonator delete, replaced with V band Straight pipe.

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Downpipe will be the most affordable

Cheapest would be $249 for the VRSF

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #21
Bazgab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I agree with everyone saying HFC or Catless downpipe. I had the Dinan exhaust and res delete and wasn't a fan. Even with the stock downpipe it drones a good bit at highway speeds. Had the resonator welded back in and it was better but still not great.

New downpipe and maybe some new exhaust tips will make your exhaust look and sound a lot better. Then save up for a nicer exhaust, there are a lot of good choices and you could probably snag a used one for around what the Dinan costs or may just a bit more. I have the FI exhaust and absolutely love it, fit and finish is miles ahead of the Dinan unit. I get a lot of positive comments about it at AutoX and track day events.