BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying M2 Competition - Help Decide DCT or 6M

12-21-2019, 12:38 AM   #133
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
I have a 17 OG M2 and I think the pedals are spaced perfectly for heal-and-toe downshifts.
Interesting point M0nster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
In the UK I had a manual M240i. For me personally the terrible pedal offset eventually ruined it for me.
Hi Chris, can you please clarify your comment about the 'terrible pedal offset'?

(1) the gap between pedals; or

(2) the cluster of 3 foot controls are not positioned directly in front of you and that they are slightly offset to left or right?

I suspect you meant #2 but in light of Monster's comment, I thought I will seek your clarification.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 03:16 AM   #134
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
I have a 17 OG M2 and I think the pedals are spaced perfectly for heal-and-toe downshifts. I rev match on my own, and it’s a rewarding experience. Hope you feel the same way, and great choice with the MT.
Yes thank you, but I think from your profile, you are based in the US with LHD. RHD cars are converted and for me in the 2 series the pedals are offset. It's a scenario that only applies to certain areas and RHD.

OP many apologies, I didn't see you had ordered. Ignore my thoughts! and enjoy in good health.
      12-21-2019, 09:10 AM   #135
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Yes thank you, but I think from your profile, you are based in the US with LHD. RHD cars are converted and for me in the 2 series the pedals are offset. It's a scenario that only applies to certain areas and RHD.

OP many apologies, I didn't see you had ordered. Ignore my thoughts! and enjoy in good health.
Ah, good point. You are correct, mine is a Euro spec LHD and I’m based in Germany. Hope they can package pedal box location exactly for RHD cars, but I can’t comment on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #136
BoxerBran128
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 Black

I test drove both manual and GET prior to buying my LCI. I have owned nothing but manual trans cars, but I bought the dct for two reasons. When cruising at 75-80, the manual seemed like it was revving close to 3K rpms. The DCT was a lot lower and quieter. Also, based on this the DAY gets much better fuel mileage.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #137
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
My Test Drive

I perform a u-turn and accelerate moderately. The M2 revs out quickly and shifts into 2nd gear. Once I reach the speed of 35mph (56kph), I back off the accelerator to coast. Instead of shifting up into 3rd, like all the other automatic transmissions I have driven, it hangs in 2nd gear. Thinking, it's the Sports mode, I switch to Comfort mode and try again. It isn't any better. I think the DCT gets confused if I accelerate and then back off. In frustration, I shift up manually.

Update:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
I did choose the manual transmission.
Hmm.

You don't know how to drive the DCT. This is not surprising as it does take a little time.

Ironically if you understand a manual transmission and how to drive one in order to balance the car it works incredibly well as a better manual than manual.

If you go in expecting it to work like an auto then honestly, you are better off getting a manual or a different car entirely.

If you are in a civilised part of Sydney I would be happy to show you. Once you get it, there's no way you'd buy a crappy hybrid manual that honestly does not suit a modern car. DM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #138
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Hmm.

You don't know how to drive the DCT. This is not surprising as it does take a little time.

Ironically if you understand a manual transmission and how to drive one in order to balance the car it works incredibly well as a better manual than manual.

If you go in expecting it to work like an auto then honestly, you are better off getting a manual or a different car entirely.

If you are in a civilised part of Sydney I would be happy to show you. Once you get it, there's no way you'd buy a crappy hybrid manual that honestly does not suit a modern car. DM me.
Thanks Davil for your kind offer to meet up. Since I have already ordered a manual car, I will just wait and see how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #139
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

If you're keeping for a long time, 6mt. Manuals are going to be extinct with electric.
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
      12-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #140
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiparock View Post
If you're keeping for a long time, 6mt. Manuals are going to be extinct with electric.
6MT ordered.

I wonder if someone in 50 years will start making EV with manual transmission?

Sort of like vinyl records and film cameras are making a comeback these days... maybe some nostalgic folks at Tesla will make retro EV cars. After all, car industry loves nostalgia. Look at all the Mustangs, Cameros and other retro-modern cars out there.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #141
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Congrats and enjoy. I’m looking forward to having a 2022 Camaro or something in 25 years. Must be NA V8 to be a classic.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 08:47 PM   #142
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Congrats and enjoy. I’m looking forward to having a 2022 Camaro or something in 25 years. Must be NA V8 to be a classic.
Thanks!

If gas doesn't cost $500 per gallon, I would love the mid-mounted C8 Corvette.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:38 AM   #143
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
Quote:
Hmm.

Thanks Davil for your kind offer to meet up. Since I have already ordered a manual car, I will just wait and see how it goes.
Argh. I could have saved you. But have fun. I'm sure you'll still enjoy it. It's not that it's bad. Just not as good.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 06:42 AM   #144
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Argh. I could have saved you. But have fun. I'm sure you'll still enjoy it. It's not that it's bad. Just not as good.
See how it all pans out. I will either like it or don't like it. Either way, beats driving a Toyota Echo.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #145
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
See how it all pans out. I will either like it or don't like it. Either way, beats driving a Toyota Echo.
I drove a Toyota echo for a couple years. It was the most demasculating experience I've encountered.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 04:12 PM   #146
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I drove a Toyota echo for a couple years. It was the most demasculating experience I've encountered.
If you can drive an Echo for 2 years, huge respect to you. I don't know if I could have lasted that long. Of course, if the choice was walking or Echo...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #147
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.

Quote:
Wait, what??

Don't know how to drive a DCT? You have to be joking. Leave it in D, done.

And don't try to tell me pulling a lever is an involving experience. I mean they make it seem tough in Video Games to get the shift at just right RPM but c'mon man.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #148
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm.

Quote:
Wait, what??

Don't know how to drive a DCT? You have to be joking. Leave it in D, done.

And don't try to tell me pulling a lever is an involving experience. I mean they make it seem tough in Video Games to get the shift at just right RPM but c'mon man.
What kind of fucking idiot would drive a DCT in D mode? If I had to do that I would have sold this car.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6332.00
      12-24-2019, 09:17 PM   #149
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What kind of fucking idiot would drive a DCT in D mode? If I had to do that I would have sold this car.
Eggnog, it's the eggnog. I'm sure things will be more civilized tomorrow.

Last edited by medphysdave; 12-24-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9099.00
qnet676.00
goku7173.00
      12-24-2019, 09:38 PM   #150
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Eggnog, it's the eggnog. I'm sure things will be more civilized tomorrow.
I doubt it's substance induced, The DCT vs Manual is an extremely touchy subject here.

I unintentionally sparked a few incendiary debates for voicing my opinion on the latter.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 06:22 AM   #151
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I, for one, appreciate and value members taking their time posting comments in response to my original post. I don't mind if commenters agree or disagree with me. I figured that's why we hang out on a forum and choose to participate in conversations. If we all agreed, that would make a boring discussion.

Original Poster 'I think the Hockenheim Silver is the best colour on M2C.'

2nd Poster 'I agree'

3rd Poster 'I agree as well.'

4th Poster 'For sure'

5th Poster 'Yep'

Let's welcome and celebrate diversity.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Moflow2484.50
      12-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #152
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Merry Christmas everyone. Lets hope we can enjoy nog as well as our favorite transmission responsibly.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50