BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Keyless entry ?

01-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #23
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
I think that key is just to lock the trunk so if you give your fob to someone, like a valet, they can't open the trunk. I don't think it can be used to start the car.
For Valet mode there should be a switch in the glove box to disable the trunk release button in the car and on the fob. Switch that, lock the glove box, then just give a valet the fob and keep the key.

There are a number of horror stories from people with dead batteries that can't pop the trunk, so there is certainly no key lock there. The key is just for,the glove box and doors.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #24
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
For Valet mode there should be a switch in the glove box to disable the trunk release button in the car and on the fob. Switch that, lock the glove box, then just give a valet the fob and keep the key.

There are a number of horror stories from people with dead batteries that can't pop the trunk, so there is certainly no key lock there. The key is just for,the glove box and doors.
My bad, you are correct. It locks and unlocks the glovebox which has a button in it to lock the trunk. There are also keyholes on the door handles to manually unlock the doors with the key. However, I don't believe there is a way to start the car with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #25
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
My bad, you are correct. It locks and unlocks the glovebox which has a button in it to lock the trunk. There are also keyholes on the door handles to manually unlock the doors with the key. However, I don't believe there is a way to start the car with it.
Correct, there is no keyed ignition. If I remember correctly, they showed me a spot on the right of the steering column where you can hold the key to start the car if the fob battery dies.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
You can drive it without the fob but once you kill the engine you will not be able to restart the car.
yeah, I dropped someone off at the airport in her car, she still had the fob in her purse and I didn't think about it since at the time I still had a car with a key. I figured the warning chime after she was gone. At least I knew enough to drive home before shutting it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #27
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippster View Post
yeah, I dropped someone off at the airport in her car, she still had the fob in her purse and I didn't think about it since at the time I still had a car with a key. I figured the warning chime after she was gone. At least I knew enough to drive home before shutting it off.
That is interesting. With our Q7, it you walk away with the car running with the key fob in your pocket the car alerts anyone still inside it immediately. I don't think someone can then drive away without the key fob in the car. I'd hope that is the case so as to make car jacking a pain in the )*&)(*&......

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0