BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Damaged During Transport to Dealer

12-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Skwinglos
Private
Rep
Drives: MG M2; HD 2500

Damaged During Transport to Dealer

Whelp my Mineral Grey M2 arrived at the dealer but apparently it was damaged along the way. They say there's damage on the passenger side along the roof and the metal trim section above the door that's not part of the main roof. I wasn't too shocked because this stuff happens and the universe generally doesn't want me to have nice things. They explained repairs will be done to my satisfaction, etc, etc, and I'm mostly wondering what I should be looking for before accepting the car. Any tips and suggestions to find flaws in the workmanship and paint would be appreciated. I didn't ask for any pics or detailed info up front but I'll request it when I get the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #2
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwinglos View Post
Whelp my Mineral Grey M2 arrived at the dealer but apparently it was damaged along the way. They say there's damage on the passenger side along the roof and the metal trim section above the door that's not part of the main roof. I wasn't too shocked because this stuff happens and the universe generally doesn't want me to have nice things. They explained repairs will be done to my satisfaction, etc, etc, and I'm mostly wondering what I should be looking for before accepting the car. Any tips and suggestions to find flaws in the workmanship and paint would be appreciated. I didn't ask for any pics or detailed info up front but I'll request it when I get the car.
Happened to me as well. Watch out for overspray. I found it in places I wouldn't have thought it would be. Took it back a few times for them to fix.
      12-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #3
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Most damage happens on the car when it gets to PDC, where they quite often repair cars. If they need to paint the car, frankly, I wouldn't take it. They'll need to spray and blend paint and it will meter that it's been resprayed, which could effect your resale value. Oh, I would only accept this if I saw the damage BEFORE they worked on it.

Totally sucks. I'd see if you could take their next allocation. Not the end of the world, just a bit longer wait. Get it the way you expect it.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
chambolle143.50
      12-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #4
Skwinglos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
Totally sucks. I'd see if you could take their next allocation. Not the end of the world, just a bit longer wait. Get it the way you expect it.
Getting another allocation will probably take over a year so that's out. Also I need a another car now since my old DD is dismantled and I hate using my truck as a DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Getting another allocation will probably take over a year so that's out. Also I need a another car now since my old DD is dismantled and I hate using my truck as a DD.
Don't be so sure. The dealer owes you. You can get the next allocation from their list most likely. If they dented a fender, it would be a lot easier. Replace the fender and paint it. The roof area is very difficult. Hope you can work something out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Most damage happens on the car when it gets to PDC, where they quite often repair cars. If they need to paint the car, frankly, I wouldn't take it. They'll need to spray and blend paint and it will meter that it's been resprayed, which could effect your resale value. Oh, I would only accept this if I saw the damage BEFORE they worked on it.

Can't say I agree at all with you. If the car is repaired properly there is no reason to think this will impact the value. Any car can be damaged and subject to repair at any time. If the solution to every issue is refuse the car and order another one life will be pretty sad. Lots of ifs and panic in your post. Its a car, the world is an imperfect place, they sky is not falling.
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8717.00
BMWM5NYC496.00
      12-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Don't be so sure. The dealer owes you. You can get the next allocation from their list most likely. If they dented a fender, it would be a lot easier. Replace the fender and paint it. The roof area is very difficult. Hope you can work something out.

This is really poor advice in my opinion.
While it may be the best choice for you , it's not the best choice for most people on a vehicle that clearly has production limitations. This isn't like just going over to find another car on the lot or waiting a week or so.

If OP passes and has to wait 3-6 months or a year for another car .. heck the minute he gets that second one, someone would probably back into it in a parking lot the third day he owns it.

OP Did say the universe doesn't want me to have nice things ...

In addition, i would much rather have a body panel REPAIRED than REPLACED, especially if the panel has any factory welds. Would you rather have BMW ROBOT welds or ones done from the guy at the local body shop? Not saying welding can't be done well but why destroy more of the original craftsmanship in attempting to make a repair?

Why have a shop remove a panel (that doesn't need to be removed to be repaired) and have to paint MORE of the vehicle by having to blend onto more adjacent panels ? Your comment about a paint gauge and paint thickness makes no sense with your remove and replace approach. . If the shop replaces a front fender with a new one then they will have to blend onto the hood and also onto the door to make it match.

That's making the paint thicker on TWO panels, (assuming the fender just gets the proper original thickness of paint- If not then you have three panels ) , as opposed to just a repair to the fender with a slight amount of blending within the single panel and only one panel has thicker paint.

Work on a roof panel is a lot easier than say, a quarter panel... and certainly isn't like it's impossible.

Finally... what do you think the lost value is on a 1M that had to have minor paintwork ?? Probably close to zero because the cars are hard to find. The M2 production has been at the same rate as the 1M with an additional year of production so far.

Ever see a classic car show or auction ? Which car will fetch more value .. a car with all original paint and a few blemishes or touch ups or the car that's had a full respray?

The approach should be to do the minimal and best quality repair or touch up possible, while leaving the original vehicle intact as much as possible.

Repaired or not, Any M2 will be a *very * Desirable car for quite some time. Well until LCI. ( joking !! )

@skwinglos.

Let the dealer do what they need to do. Inspect the car closely as @Txsurfer suggested. Perhaps they will compensate you additionally with some swag, or a slight discount. Then take your brand new , 14 mile , M2 home and ENJOY it . Well , at least until the roundel falls off and the diff starts crunching
Appreciate 1
Destroya371.00
      12-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #8
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
Happened to me as well. Watch out for overspray. I found it in places I wouldn't have thought it would be. Took it back a few times for them to fix.
Wow, quite a reaction. To each his/ her own. I have rarely purchased new cars, but if I get one, it should be perfect. If I shop for a used one, I meter the paint and pass if it's been painted because I don't know why it was painted.

The above is a perfect example. Others may not find it a big deal, but I'm not looking for over spray on a new car.

All said, ANY new bmw could have had very minor repair at the PDC. However, that repair would be far superior to the repair done by a dealer. Granted, the m2 is hard to get. Agree that this repair may not effect the value. If you lease the car, I wouldn't worry about it for a minute. If you own and plan to sell within 2 years, probably wouldn't be a big deal either.

Not to create any ire here, OP just wanted views on what to do.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

How could it be easier to work on a roof panel than a quarter panel? For the quarter panel you need to remove part of the interior panel in the trunk. For the roof, you'll need to pull out the headliner, wouldn't you? If repaired,I'd check to see that the headliner is perfect afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How could it be easier to work on a roof panel than a quarter panel? For the quarter panel you need to remove part of the interior panel in the trunk. For the roof, you'll need to pull out the headliner, wouldn't you? If repaired,I'd check to see that the headliner is perfect afterwards.
To me I didn't really care about the body work as long as it met my expectations. My dealer threw in some m performance parts and I called it a day. It's not like it's a $100000 car. I agree it sucks to have a new car worked on but I didn't feel like waiting any longer.
      12-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #11
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To me I didn't really care about the body work as long as it met my expectations. My dealer threw in some m performance parts and I called it a day. It's not like it's a $100000 car. I agree it sucks to have a new car worked on but I didn't feel like waiting any longer.
Good resolution. You got some performance parts from them and true,it isn't a $200k Porsche turbo. Good to negotiate to get something tangible. They are willing to give you something because it will be slightly more difficult for them to sell the car to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Good resolution. You got some performance parts from them and true,it isn't a $200k Porsche turbo. Good to negotiate to get something tangible. They are willing to give you something because it will be slightly more difficult for them to sell the car to someone else.
Actually the car wasn't going to be hard to sell. They had 2 buyers waiting for allocations ready to jump on it if I passed.
      12-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
On the roof panel you remove the headliner and the entire roof is accessible on a non sunroof vehicle.

http://www.***********.com/showthrea...f-Install-Pics

If you have followed any threads regarding an aftermarket CF roof install, you may have seen that entire replacement of the roof skin can be done quite competently.

http://ind-distribution.com/ind/bran...ber-roof-panel

To repair the quarter panel one must remove the interior door pillar trim and also the interior rear seat trim. The quarter panel consists of both an inner panel and an outer panel. There is usually *not full access to all of the outer panel from the inside. Access also may be blocked from an inner wheelhouse panel.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...co0&ajaxhist=0

There's a lot of space inside those beautiful haunches .. and multiple panels of metal as well.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-29-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #14
Skwinglos
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

@skwinglos.

Let the dealer do what they need to do. Inspect the car closely as @Txsurfer suggested. Perhaps they will compensate you additionally with some swag, or a slight discount. Then take your brand new , 14 mile , M2 home and ENJOY it . Well , at least until the roundel falls off and the diff starts crunching
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm keeping it cool here. I guess I could negotiate for a kickback but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Also, about that mileage. I'll definitely pass on the car if it has anything above 20 miles. At that point I'll have a repaired and joy-ridden car and I'll be super, duper, upset about that.
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      12-30-2016, 02:33 AM   #15
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Before any decisions are made I'd go and look and/or get pictures of the extent of the damage.
It may well be superficial stuff in which case a repair to your satisfaction may suffice or it could be worse,for example,if the roof is creased I personally wouldn't bother with a repair regardless how rare they are over your way.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 05:01 AM   #16
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Ask them to fit a carbon roof

Just kidding, just pay attention to anything. Take your time to look at it all, and watch out for a dealer person pointing you at things and letting you focus on things that are not of importance or do not show the complete deal!

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #17
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

We picked up a new 3-series wagon in Munich some years ago. My wife's car, to tote our not yet two year old daughter and her playmates. I badly rashed both of the passenger side wheels before we got five miles from the visitor center. I was beside myself. The spouse calmly said 'it's properly broken in now, and I'm sure glad it was you and not me.'

Things happen.
Appreciate 1
Destroya371.00
      12-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #18
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

@skwinglos.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm keeping it cool here. I guess I could negotiate for a kickback but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Also, about that mileage. I'll definitely pass on the car if it has anything above 20 miles. At that point I'll have a repaired and joy-ridden car and I'll be super, duper, upset about that.
When my car went in it had 9 miles on it. The dealer left it in demo mode and none of the wrappings were taken off of it before it went to the body shop. I had them tow it there and back on there dime so as not to have to worry about someone joyriding in it. This is how it went to the body shop.
Attached Images