BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Manual or Dual Clutch

12-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #111
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Steve View Post
Another thing that swayed me was the extra 7th gear as it seems to me that the 6th gear on the manual was not really tall enough to support extended freeway driving.
Wow, I don't at all consider 6th gear too short. I don't even think about shifting into 6th until I reach 88+ mph. How fast do you drive on the freeway? -scr

Last edited by SoCalRob; 12-18-2016 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #112
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Great thread.

I'm very close to ordering a manual M2... however I'm anxious for a different reason and it's holding me back from pressing the 'go' button.

Having moved from Australia to the USA recently, it's really, REALLY weird shifting with my right hand. So much so that I worry I'll never be able to be as smooth or coordinated as I was driving like MT's back home.

It's just a weird sensation having the clutch so far from the shifting hand - I always felt this connection with them both near each other in RHD cars.

Something else I found was some difficulty heel-toeing with the footwell sidewall so close to my right heel - i.e. I couldn't rotate the foot enough to get good traction on the gas pedal. Seemed much easier in RHD cars when there's a bit more space between the door sidewall and gas pedal.

That said, I'm basing this anxiety off ONE test drive in a LHD MT here in the States, so I'm hoping I just need time to adapt.

Has anyone else moved countries and felt the same thing? Be interested to know.

My girlfriend is an Aussie. On road trips , when riding shotgun in the passenger seat , she is always there ready to help with a left handed shift if I've got my hands full while driving...

Ok you yanks get your minds out of the gutter

She has recently begun to do some HPDE and has not had any issue at all with the manual in my 1M when she gets an opportunity to drive it from the left seat ! She *absolutely * loves the six speed on track and while shifting was initially awkward i can tell you that for sure she would prefer to feel odd by shifting with her right hand than to feel odd by letting the car have all the fun with a DCT.

More than likely you'll be accommodating to the left seat in no time, mate !
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      12-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #113
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I'm a bit of a technophile and was always going to go to the dark side once Automatics caught up with Manuals. Another thing that swayed me was the extra 7th gear as it seems to me that the 6th gear on the manual was not really tall enough to support extended freeway driving.

Plus I have a lot of fun driving the wife's DCT M4 around, so I know what I'm getting into

Is it me... or does it seem like 7th gear is NOT what one would want for a sportscar based on the gear ratios that BMW has provided.

gearbox 6-speed manual transmission

Manual gear ratios – I / II / III 4.11 / 2.32 / 1.54
Manual gear ratios – IV / V / VI 1.18 / 1.00 / 0.85

Manual City / Highway (mpg) - 18 / 26

gearbox- 7 speed M Double Clutch

Automatic gear ratios – I / II / III 4.81 / 2.59 / 1.70
Automatic gear ratios – IV / V / VI 1.28 / 1.00 / 0.84
Automatic gear ratios – VII 0.67

Automatic City / Highway (mpg) - 20 / 26

Why does anyone need a gear ratio at 0.67 ... so far below 1:1 unless it's just for all out MPG?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #114
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I'm a bit of a technophile and was always going to go to the dark side once Automatics caught up with Manuals. Another thing that swayed me was the extra 7th gear as it seems to me that the 6th gear on the manual was not really tall enough to support extended freeway driving.

Plus I have a lot of fun driving the wife's DCT M4 around, so I know what I'm getting into

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
Wow, I don't at all consider 6th gear too short. I don't even think about shifting into 6th until I reach 88+ mph. How fast do you drive on the freeway? -scr
Agree with SCR here.. Is it me... or does it seem like 7th gear is NOT what one would want for a sportscar based on the gear ratios that BMW has provided ?

gearbox 6-speed manual transmission

Manual gear ratios – I / II / III / IV / V / VI
Manual gear ratios – 4.11 / 2.32 / 1.54 1.18 / 1.00 / 0.85

gearbox- 7 speed M Double Clutch

Automatic gear ratios – I / II / III / IV / V / VI / VII
Automatic gear ratios – 4.81 / 2.59 / 1.70 1.28 / 1.00 / 0.84 / 0.67

it seems that the DCT provides snappier acceleration off the line in gears I , II .. gears III and IV have a very slight advantage.. but then this disappears and 5th gear is the same as the MT.. along with sixth.... and there is this 7th gear for..... ? Why does anyone need a gear ratio at 0.67 ... so far below 1:1 ? I'm actually a bit surprised that BMW didn't take much more advantage by spacing the gears out more between II and V in order to provide even better acceleration....... oh wait.. there is the M4 to be nice to... can't beat that car of course..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-19-2016 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #115
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Great thread.

I'm very close to ordering a manual M2... however I'm anxious for a different reason and it's holding me back from pressing the 'go' button.

Having moved from Australia to the USA recently, it's really, REALLY weird shifting with my right hand. So much so that I worry I'll never be able to be as smooth or coordinated as I was driving like MT's back home.

It's just a weird sensation having the clutch so far from the shifting hand - I always felt this connection with them both near each other in RHD cars.

Something else I found was some difficulty heel-toeing with the footwell sidewall so close to my right heel - i.e. I couldn't rotate the foot enough to get good traction on the gas pedal. Seemed much easier in RHD cars when there's a bit more space between the door sidewall and gas pedal.

That said, I'm basing this anxiety off ONE test drive in a LHD MT here in the States, so I'm hoping I just need time to adapt.

Has anyone else moved countries and felt the same thing? Be interested to know.
I had a similar feeling but driving a LHD manual 911 here in NZ. Took me a while to co-ordinate the shift and Heel/toe and I have to say it did feel un-natural. It comes with practice over time. I would say I am now about 90% there after about 2000 km.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #116
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
A couple reviews of the M2 mentioned this issue as well. Basically said the engine sound when going over 70 for very long could get to be a bit much. I've ridden a couple of motorcycles on multi-day road trips so it's not an issue I would notice very much, but I could see it being an issue for some people.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #117
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
A couple reviews of the M2 mentioned this issue as well. Basically said the engine sound when going over 70 for very long could get to be a bit much. I've ridden a couple of motorcycles on multi-day road trips so it's not an issue I would notice very much, but I could see it being an issue for some people.
Interesting, but hard for me to comprehend. I'd never drive around (even on the freeway) going 70mph in 6th gear. -scr
Appreciate 0