12-08-2016, 01:26 PM   #67
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I went DCT. I will never go back to a manual in the modern car unless the manual is quicker. I am past the "manual feels better" topic.
Interesting. First person I have ever heard express it and feel that way. I think you might be the exception but interesting none the less.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #68
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
I had the chance to buy someone else's build who chose not to take delivery. The car was dct. It is by far the best automatic I have had the chance to try. You won't be disappointed if you go this route. Very easy around town and lightning fast!

Ultimately I couldn't convince myself to give up the third pedal so I held off on this particular one. DCT was great fun but my build remains for the 6MT.

If you can't find an M2 to drive try driving the m3 with both options as suggested earlier. My dealer had around eight m3's sitting around with both transmissions represented.
      12-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #69
supernova72
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i 6MT, Silver/Coral

M235i owner here. I specifically searched for a 6MT car for almost a year and am glad I chose to row the gears. I'm a bit old school and still love the manuals. Feel very connected to the car and love the "hill hold" feature the manual includes.

If I am fortunate enough to move up to an M2 someday it will be a 6MT car. Cheers.
Other rides
1985 GMC S-15 4X4 (dad's truck), 1972 Chevy Nova
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #70
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdi View Post
Sure, it's probably fun but for me it doesn't FEEL right in a car that's all about the joy of driving. For me. I won't track my M2. It's just about having fun without breaking too many speed limits. Which I did with the DCT because that's where fun starts with that...
I will track my M2...but 90% of the time it's a street car...so I opted the manual. It feels more fun and more involving at normal speeds...the DCT really shines when going fast and on track.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #71
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
The DCT / MT decision was tough for me too. I started a fairly lengthy thread about it as well:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1281163

At the end of the day, I love the 6MT and have no regrets. If you engage the clutch but do not give it gas it does not stall, instead it inches forward similar to when you release the break in an automatic without giving it gas. Seems trivial but makes dealing with stop and go traffic easier. It's a great car. Very fun to drive.

Full disclosure, it's not my daily driver and I don't track.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 10:42 PM   #72
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
The DCT / MT decision was tough for me too. I started a fairly lengthy thread about it as well:

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1281163

At the end of the day, I love the 6MT and have no regrets. If you engage the clutch but do not give it gas it does not stall, instead it inches forward similar to when you release the break in an automatic without giving it gas. Seems trivial but makes dealing with stop and go traffic easier. It's a great car. Very fun to drive.

Full disclosure, it's not my daily driver and I don't track.
My question is (new to manuals) whenever we use this auto rev function/engaging the clutch in stop and go traffic, does this put a lot more stress and wear on the clutch plate?
      12-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #73
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
my main use is DD hence DCT. Would be interested to hear any views as to whether the DCT is as tough as PDK or whether there is any tendency to drop into limp mode if used too hard under track conditions?
But my other recreational cars manual and sequential manual (no paddles)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:01 PM   #74
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM2 View Post
My question is (new to manuals) whenever we use this auto rev function/engaging the clutch in stop and go traffic, does this put a lot more stress and wear on the clutch plate?
What's the difference between using the rev match or inching it forward on your own using the gas pedal? My guess is there is no difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #75
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
my main use is DD hence DCT. Would be interested to hear any views as to whether the DCT is as tough as PDK or whether there is any tendency to drop into limp mode if used too hard under track conditions?
Drove the piss out of M2,3 and 4s during the 2 day M school, not one of us had an issue with the DCT going into any limp mode (8 drivers in separate cars going like hell for 2 days manually shifts the whole time). Before I ordered my car I did a comprehensive search for any posts indicating DCT issues, other than a guy with a 135i with a DCT (not the same as the M2 DCT, I have found nothing. I believe the DCT is pretty solid and dependable.
Appreciate 1
M+M226.50
      12-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #76
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Drove the piss out of M2,3 and 4s during the 2 day M school, not one of us had an issue with the DCT going into any limp mode (8 drivers in separate cars going like hell for 2 days manually shifts the whole time). Before I ordered my car I did a comprehensive search for any posts indicating DCT issues, other than a guy with a 135i with a DCT (not the same as the M2 DCT, I have found nothing. I believe the DCT is pretty solid and dependable.
nice to hear that - thx
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:28 AM   #77
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Indeed...the DCT is pretty solid also for track work.
      12-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #78
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

Quote:
I went DCT. I will never go back to a manual in the modern car unless the manual is quicker. I am past the "manual feels better" topic.
Amen
Appreciate 1
omasou2088.00
      12-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #79
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
What's the difference between using the rev match or inching it forward on your own using the gas pedal? My guess is there is no difference.
Correct, no difference. I even use this feature now in the drive thru when getting some grub
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 05:16 AM   #80
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I "learned" to drive stick with my father's 330 ci ZHP. I was only 16-17 at the time So I didn't get much of a chance on highways and such, so I never really mastered downshifting (it braked HARD when I downshifted and surprise the heck out of me, guess it had to do with the clutchwork) and living in Puerto Rico there is a ton of traffic on work days in the metro area (50m-1hour commute, 35 minutes ant crawling).

I actually tested a manual M2, an auto M235i and my father now has an auto 435i which I've tested A LOT.

My questions are:
1. What do your wives think about owning a daily driver manual M2?
2. BE HONEST - is it annoying having to push in the clutch EVERY time to move a few inches in traffic?
3. What have been some moments you regret having bought a manual M2?

Thanks for the useful info!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #81
fanshu
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43, 2016 BMW M2

My M2 is a DD, and my wife hate driving manual, so DCT.

Honestly, the DCT is good at faster speed, at traffic jam, shifting between 1st and 2nd and vice versa is not as smooth as my 2012 RS3.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #82
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
While the shift isn't as quick or as smooth as PDK, it is definitely as bullet proof on the track. Great transmission, and honestly don't miss it on the track. In fact, the only time I miss driving stick is when I read post like this on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #83
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I've mentioned this in other posts on this topic, but ultimately it is about the engagement. With DSG/DCT/PDK or whatever other variation is out there, they are fantastic transmissions. But the natural human tendency will ultimately drive you to choose the easiest option. So in normal driving, I would never shift and just leave it in auto. While it can still be fun, I feel the engagement is lacking.

The action of shifting establishes a connection with the car. In order for a manual car to move, it requires my input. Eventually manual will be no longer be offered as a choice so I choose to enjoy it while it is still around. I'll have plenty of time for paddle shifting in the future. It also helps to have a SO that enjoys driving manual too.
Appreciate 1
reppucci339.50
      12-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #84
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I never really get this "engagement" thing that many of you like to point out. Most modern transmission is rubbery and the clutch is so light that there isn't any feel, they are very forgiving and user friendly. And with the auto blip, you can't even do a proper heel toe anymore. (at least not without traction control)

Please don't take this the wrong way, this is merely my opinion and I respect that everyone has their own preference. For me, when I went from an Elise SC to M2. The only "engagement" I feel gone was the steering. As far as the transmission, the Lotus felt way more mechanical and the clutch was a lot heavier. Do I miss driving it? You bet, but it's not because of the 3rd pedal.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #85
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post

Quote:
Interesting. First person I have ever heard express it and feel that way. I think you might be the exception but interesting none the less.
I agree with David1 except the quicker part...don't care if it's faster...just don't see the need for the third pedal anymore...which everyone is complaining about as being is too soft, too long...like they do with every model...

Now if it were an automatic (trq converter) with a shifter function like my X5 then that's pretend and only good when you need a specific gear, e.g. stuck in snow or something.

Last edited by omasou; 12-16-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
3Si216.50
      12-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #86
m2tek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I never really get this "engagement" thing that many of you like to point out. Most modern transmission is rubbery and the clutch is so light that there isn't any feel, they are very forgiving and user friendly. And with the auto blip, you can't even do a proper heel toe anymore. (at least not without traction control)

Please don't take this the wrong way, this is merely my opinion and I respect that everyone has their own preference. For me, when I went from an Elise SC to M2. The only "engagement" I feel gone was the steering. As far as the transmission, the Lotus felt way more mechanical and the clutch was a lot heavier. Do I miss driving it? You bet, but it's not because of the 3rd pedal.
I can respect that. Lets be honest here, both sides tend to do a bit of purchase justification. Everyone who spent good money on a vehicle wants to feel like they made the "right" choice. There is no right choice, just how we perceive what we value in a vehicle.

To answer your questions, the clutch being light or heavy doesn't matter. A manual vehicle REQUIRES my input. That input establishes a connection with the machine. There have been so many posts on this topic and I've responded to a few. This is what I said in a previous one:

"I like being a necessary part of the equation when driving. In a DCT, I feel that it is a couple of sensors and modules away from being able to drive itself. In a 6MT, I am a necessary part of the process. Some of that process has been made easier, but one of the most important parts still requires my input."

And, at least for me, I got lazy driving and just left it in auto unless I had a spirited driving session. The extra half second 0-60 or quicker 1/4 mile has no bearing on my decision. I'm not racing for time on a daily basis. I want to feel engaged when I drive daily, and for me, a manual does just that.
Appreciate 3
3Si216.50
SoCalRob281.00
reppucci339.50
      12-16-2016, 09:07 AM   #87
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Quote:
In my opinion fun is more important than fast. That is why people demand for the manual GT3 and knowing the PDK-S is probably one of the best auto tranny.

I will always have a manual in one of my cars. Auto gets boring to daily drive.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      12-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #88
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2tek View Post
I can respect that. Lets be honest here, both sides tend to do a bit of purchase justification. Everyone who spent good money on a vehicle wants to feel like they made the "right" choice. There is no right choice, just how we perceive what we value in a vehicle.

To answer your questions, the clutch being light or heavy doesn't matter. A manual vehicle REQUIRES my input. That input establishes a connection with the machine. There have been so many posts on this topic and I've responded to a few. This is what I said in a previous one:

"I like being a necessary part of the equation when driving. In a DCT, I feel that it is a couple of sensors and modules away from being able to drive itself. In a 6MT, I am a necessary part of the process. Some of that process has been made easier, but one of the most important parts still requires my input."

And, at least for me, I got lazy driving and just left it in auto unless I had a spirited driving session. The extra half second 0-60 or quicker 1/4 mile has no bearing on my decision. I'm not racing for time on a daily basis. I want to feel engaged when I drive daily, and for me, a manual does just that.
Before I start, this is more of a curiosity than trying to start a flame war as I've been to many even back in the DSG days, one of the first DCTs that started it all. Do you miss the actual shifting or is it the clutch? Is it the action of both, or is it the mental decision making of when to shift.

For me, I'm always in manual mode. Even if I start with auto, the moment I feel I'm not in the right gear, I click on the flappy pedal and I'm back in manual. Unlike PDK, DCT forces you to stay in manual until you move the shifter back to D again. So I usually just shift with the pedals.

At the end, I absolutely agree with you. We need to justify our choice, and this is one of the few forums where a DCT vs Manual discussion doesn't turn into a my dad can beat your dad locked thread.
Appreciate 0