Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

09-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Are you running a front plate on your M2

Im curious how many are running a front plate on their M2's ...
      09-13-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

NYS - required.

At least the car has a proper spot for a plate and looks good with it. Some cars simply do not have a proper spot for the plate in the design of the front bumper.

The requirement of a front plate is such a farce anyway. Those in Mass who were 'grandfathered in" don't need a front plate and some of those drivers are in their 70's and 80's and probably need MORE car ID. LOL.

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #3
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
NYS - required.

At least the car has a proper spot for a plate and looks good with it. Some cars simply do not have a proper spot for the plate in the design of the front bumper.

The requirement of a front plate is such a farce anyway. Those in Mass who were 'grandfathered in" don't need a front plate and some of those drivers are in their 70's and 80's and probably need MORE car ID. LOL.

Mike
I am in NY as well, Im picking the car up next week and Im probably doing a tow hook mount, or running without a plate till i get ticketed
      09-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #4
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/1...icense-plates/

Last edited by zenmaster; 09-13-2016 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
I am in NY as well, Im picking the car up next week and Im probably doing a tow hook mount, or running without a plate till i get ticketed
Can't you just keep running without one and get the tickets or does something happen after the 2nd or 3rd offense?
I live in NJ but DD into the city for work. Never got a ticket in 4 years of running no plates. I've been pulled over and told them I didnt want to drill into the bumper. They always let me go with a warning
I'd put a quota of 4 tickets before I would put one on.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 2
      09-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #6
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I don't mind the front plate...but I do hate the new yellow/puke color of the plates in NY LOL

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #7
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Supposed to have it but have not installed it. Carrying plate and bracket with me to skirt around the first ticket and will put it on if/when that happens.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname
Quote:
Can't you just keep running without one and get the tickets or does something happen after the 2nd or 3rd offense?
I live in NJ but DD into the city for work. Never got a ticket in 4 years of running no plates. I've been pulled over and told them I didnt want to drill into the bumper. They always let me go with a warning
I kinda want to see how long it would take to get pulled over lol, I have been pulled over running my tow hook plate on my e92. The cop did not spot it in the corner, proceeded to make a dangerous 3 point turn blocking the flowing traffic, and when he pulled me over he went up to the front of my car saw the plate mounted at the tow hook location and said "never mind" ?
      09-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Interesting info! Thanks for the link. -scr
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
stren
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not had a plate in socal for 8 years on multiple cars despite the requirement. Never got a ticket for that even when pulled over for speeding. I've been tempted to ask for a ticket for that instead of a speeding ticket... but then I think they're likely to give me both

Only once heard of someone getting a ticket for it. Plenty of people here with illegal tints too. Again only heard of one person getting a ticket for that too. Coincidentally, it was the same person.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 11:00 PM   #11
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Snap, every state around Texas doesn't require a front plate and Texas does, lame.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      09-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #12
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep

There's absolutely no good reason for a state to require a front plate!! Every time I've been pulled over, the police cruiser has been behind me. Guess if I got pulled over going in reverse it might make some sense. But seriously, why make our cars ugly and ever so marginally less aerodynamic? I don't see front plates on motorcycles!
      09-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep

Oh, also: mad props to everyone driving without front plates anyway!!
AYurch50.00
      09-14-2016, 12:36 AM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
There's absolutely no good reason for a state to require a front plate!! Every time I've been pulled over, the police cruiser has been behind me. Guess if I got pulled over going in reverse it might make some sense. But seriously, why make our cars ugly and ever so marginally less aerodynamic? I don't see front plates on motorcycles!
What they will tell you is some agencies have license plate readers that allow the technology to look for stolen cars or suspects and of course the speed and red light cameras like front plates. AZ doesn't have front plates but we have all of these systems and our world has not fallen apart so its really an issue of having a legislature use common sense. AZ has a long tradition of less intrusive government so my guess is that is how we ended up without the requirement. Heck we don't even do daylight savings time because as it turns out you cannot save daylight by changing your clocks. A legislator suggested he would introduce a bill to go to daylight savings time so we could be like the rest of the country and he was flooded with phone calls and emails and dropped the issue in about a day or two. We are backwards in some ways but it is nice to be out of the peoples republic of California where I was constantly getting fix it tickets for front plates.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #15
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I"m not running front license plates in California. Northern Cali (minus SF) is not as strict on this rule and i never had one in my 8 years in this state.

But Socal, is pretty bad for this but F that...i'll just get a ticket.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:16 AM   #16
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

Yeah nay area isn't that bad but you do have those small cities where cops don't have nothing better to do than to hassle you for a front plate smh. Worse case scenario I'm getting the electronic hide away plate
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 02:38 AM   #17
winterrogue_F87
Queen of Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2015 BMW 228xi  [0.00]
I'm in NY. For right now no front plate but sooner or later or maybe one day I'm going to mount the hide away front plate bracket. There is a shop called speed world and it's about $250 to install and parts
      09-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #18
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
NYC here. Whoever said a front plate looks good is on crack. And no there is no "good spot" to install it.

I don't have mine on but it leaves me constantly dodging police. Port authority/MTA "toll workers" are "cops" and can ticket you. I'm constantly getting stopped at the tunnel or bridge. I've talked my way out of it a few times but I'm sure next time I won't be able to. Now I just avoid the tunnels when I can. Otherwise I pray I get the lane without someone watching the cars. I've also received parking tickets for it as well. So when I can, I don't park on the street. I guess this seems like a lot of work but I don't care.
      09-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #19
bm2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Using this plate holder with 3m double sided car tape on top of xpel film!!!
Attached Images

09-15-2016, 04:16 AM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
What they will tell you is some agencies have license plate readers that allow the technology to look for stolen cars or suspects and of course the speed and red light cameras like front plates. AZ doesn't have front plates but we have all of these systems and our world has not fallen apart so its really an issue of having a legislature use common sense. AZ has a long tradition of less intrusive government so my guess is that is how we ended up without the requirement. Heck we don't even do daylight savings time because as it turns out you cannot save daylight by changing your clocks. A legislator suggested he would introduce a bill to go to daylight savings time so we could be like the rest of the country and he was flooded with phone calls and emails and dropped the issue in about a day or two. We are backwards in some ways but it is nice to be out of the peoples republic of California where I was constantly getting fix it tickets for front plates.
I guess such a vehicle looks like this.

Location- Frankford road in North Dallas near Plano, Texas.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:19 AM   #21
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname
Quote:
I kinda want to see how long it would take to get pulled over lol, I have been pulled over running my tow hook plate on my e92. The cop did not spot it in the corner, proceeded to make a dangerous 3 point turn blocking the flowing traffic, and when he pulled me over he went up to the front of my car saw the plate mounted at the tow hook location and said "never mind" ?
that must have been kinda fun
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #22
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Heck we don't even do daylight savings time because as it turns out you cannot save daylight by changing your clocks.
Haha well said! That alone is a superb reason to live in AZ. I like the food there, too.