ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale
A lucky few of us here in Australia were invited to Australia's official launch of the M2 and we allowed to drive the M2 around Australia's Mt Panorama circuit. It was an epic day and a very well planned event by BMW and much credit goes to them.

The day went like this:

We did 2-3 laps in the M2, followed by 2-3 laps in the M3 and then 2-3 laps in the M4 which was brilliant as we got to compare all three.

Here are my impressions on the M2. I'll try and break it down by each aspect of the car.

Steering & Handing
It feels very direct and weighty and loads up nicely on the corners. It doesn't have all the sport settings that the M4 does, but it's fine as it is.

It feels beautifully planted and very nimble and changes direction quite easily. It didn't want to break traction as much as the M4 did, but I also put that down to the more power that the M4 has.

Engine
There is plenty of pull and the DCT shifts were amazing. I myself have ordered a manual, but the DCT was tempting. Brilliant gearbox and it did 'blap' the exhaust on upshifts like the M4 does.

Styling
They had a Mineral Grey, Long Beach Blue and Black Sapphire Mettalic at the event. I hate to be a sour puss, but the grey doesn't do much for this car. The Long Beach Blue is a really nice colour and the black is very attractive as well. There was no Alpine white. The flared rear wheel arches are simply a sight to behold and make the car very aggressive. The M2 is definitely a looker and looks a lot better in real life than the photos suggest.

Now for the comparison against its big brother the M4. I had never driven an M4 before today, and I got to really see what it could do on a track. I have a lot of respect for this car and anyone who buys one, take it to the track because it is a brilliant track tool.

My thoughts compared to the M2, as briefly as possible.

Handling
The M2 changes direction better and you can feel its more compact chassis holds the road a little better through corners. Definitely that little bit of weight saving makes a difference.

Engine
M4 is quicker and has more pull than the M2. The M2 is no slouch, but you can feel the M4 is quicker, but not by much.

Braking
Much of a muchness really as they both use the same braking set-up.

Feel
The M2 felt like a more direct and raw car than the M4, but that was to be expected considering its smaller dimensions.

Sound
I think the M4 sounds good, but I preferred the sound of the M2. More raspy and less farty than the M4

Styling
Those flared wheel arches did it for me. The M4 is much more toned down in the styling.

My conclusion is, the M4 is an amazing car and the M2 is not better than the M4 (BMW were never trying to do this). It is very close to its performance for a lot less and BMW have done a fantastic job in creating this car. Anyone who has ordered an M2 will not be disappointed and now I can't wait till mine arrives!
Fantastic review thx!
Not sure why it was pulled
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #90
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Because 4 days will make a HUUUUUUUGGGEEE different in peoples perceptions from a non-press writer.....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #91
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Our F80 M3 will leave soon, can't wait to welcome the M2. The M2 is the right M to own after the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 02:20 AM   #92
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy 72 View Post
Such a shame they are wanting you to take your review down..

So are you sticking with the BSM? As you say can't really go wrong with any colour you choose if the car is a blast to drive.
I was surprised to be honest. I don't get it, what's the big deal? It's not as if the car has secret features that haven't been released.

Yeh sticking with the BSM!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 02:21 AM   #93
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
Because 4 days will make a HUUUUUUUGGGEEE different in peoples perceptions from a non-press writer.....
I don't see the logic in it either.

Anyway if anyone wants to ask questions, just PM me.
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 03:46 AM   #94
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
BMW US doesn't like this being here, sorry guys it has to come down.
Here we go again. BMW intelligence services keep patrolling the interwebs.

Posts like yours are free publicity. You ain't badmouthing or talking low about the M2.
      02-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #95
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
Let's not forget that LBB is the fastest color
Ugh..not this again. We all know that VO is the fastest color on the 1M and it's AW for the M2. Come on! I thought you knew this, man.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:18 AM   #96
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

What shame to see BMW censoring their own publicity. I thought your review was very well written and provided a perspective, we as future consumers of their product needed to make an informed decision. Thank god the first amendment is holding strong on the interweb.

Well anyway, they can't make me unread what you wrote so thank you At least not yet!!

Last edited by ///M2-PILOT; 02-12-2016 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 04:22 AM   #97
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Ugh..not this again. We all know that VO is the fastest color on the 1M and it's AW for the M2. Come on! I thought you knew this, man.
So the reason the press have no AW @ Laguna is because it would be too fast for them to handle. Now I understand, glad we got that out of the way
      02-12-2016, 05:46 AM   #98
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
What shame to see BMW censoring their own publicity. I thought your review was very well written and provided a perspective, we as future consumers of their product needed to make an informed decision. Thank god the first amendment is holding strong on the interweb.

Well anyway, they can't make me unread what you wrote so thank you At least not yet!!
No problem! I just wanted to help people make up their minds as many will be placing orders without having driven the car. I still don't get what the issue is though. At first I thought it was BMW Australia but it turns out it was BMW NA who are unhappy.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:00 AM   #99
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No problem! I just wanted to help people make up their minds as many will be placing orders without having driven the car. I still don't get what the issue is though. At first I thought it was BMW Australia but it turns out it was BMW NA who are unhappy.
As its coming from a sales rep. it may be just passing the buck and saying it's not them, it's BMWNA. Either way it's appreciated that we have some firsthand information. As to your point many of us, me included, are purchasing site unseen and never driven. So thank you
      02-12-2016, 06:01 AM   #100
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Ridiculous that it was pulled. There was nothing in that "review" that couldn't have been written from my armchair at home. Nothing that was said we didn't know already: "M2 more agile". Duh. "M4 slightly quicker". Duh again.

The differences in noise we know from videos.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:41 AM   #101
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Ridiculous that it was pulled. There was nothing in that "review" that couldn't have been written from my armchair at home. Nothing that was said we didn't know already: "M2 more agile". Duh. "M4 slightly quicker". Duh again.

The differences in noise we know from videos.
+1 You took words out of my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #102
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Thanks guys, thats GREAT to hear. My goal was my next car to be an M, but if an M2 doesn't work out, IM not sure I can swing an M4, so if the M235 slots in as a better driver than a regular sport line 2 or 4 series, that would be perfect.
Honestly, hold out for the M2. You are correct that the car drives way better than a normal 4er. It's definitely the only non-M I'd consider, apart from maybe an F31 diesel.

However, the M2 will be absolutely worth the wait, believe me.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:54 AM   #103
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:

They're worried people won't buy M4s anymore. Kind of their own fault really.

They shouldn't have built the M2 then if they are worried the M4 will suffer.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #104
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
BMW US doesn't like this being here, sorry guys it has to come down.
Here we go again. BMW intelligence services keep patrolling the interwebs.

Posts like yours are free publicity. You ain't badmouthing or talking low about the M2.
Maybe if BMW gave the M2 to somebody like Randy to do a proper review, they would not have to be such corp douchebags after all.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #105
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

I really don not understand why they pulled it..........it is over the whole universe by now, due to strong Gravitational Waves this can not be stopprd anymore........
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #106
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

It does sound odd if OP didn't sign anything or even if no verbal agreement.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #107
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
It does sound odd if OP didn't sign anything or even if no verbal agreement.
Its probably to keep a good relationship between Bimmerpost and BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #108
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Luckily we have one of our own soon so that the BIA (BMW Intelligence Agency) cannot force people to remove their opinion...

When are those pancakes going to understand that your superfans are key assets to the existence of your brand!

MR
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #109
jasonheaddinG
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Luckily we have one of our own soon so that the BIA (BMW Intelligence Agency) cannot force people to remove their opinion...

When are those pancakes going to understand that your superfans are key assets to the existence of your brand!

MR

north korea?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #110
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I really don not understand why they pulled it..........it is over the whole universe by now, due to strong Gravitational Waves this can not be stopprd anymore........
New Jersey doesn't have Vegemite or Joeys.

I think it's all about the Vegemite. Or maybe the Jersy women are bent they get natural tans down under.
Appreciate 0