Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Let me beat IEDEI to the point as I say.. oh my.. that was a good one..

How about another comparison... the E46 M3 vs the Z4 M with S54... same motor but the low production car is worth more..
I said might.

And fewer doesn't automatically = more special. These are all subjective conversations...but laughing emojis don't prove that the nation is ridiculous.

I think the M2 is going to be a ringer. 😋
      01-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #200
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #201
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

As commented already in the past, we all know that Charles Lindbergh was the first to cross the Atlantic in a solo non-stop flight. Many after him emulated his feat in a faster time and with better planes ...but everyone keeps referring to Lindbergh as the pioneer, the one reported in the books as the classic.

That's how I will keep approaching the 1M: a 21st century back-to-basics pocket-rocket trendsetter, delivering drive after drive. Visceral, rebel-ish and eclectic: embodying fine bits and pieces exquisitely puzzled together to a car inducing "Je ne sais quoi" feelings (cfr. a desirable "It" factor). Embracing a dash of the serendipity spirit, instantly getting BMW M accolades, hat tips and rave reviews exceeding initial expectations. What a car !

But let's not infer from that point of view that the 1M was the very last section of the book on ///M car classics. IMHO the 1M also incorporated/incorporates the potential of a promising ///M future, a cliffhanger for another great episode in ///M Land. Also inspiring competitors to build compact, powerful cars, equally pleasing manual transmission aficionados, with an emphasis on great chassis dynamics offering driving pleasure when zippily zooming through sensual S-es and twirling twisties, rather than focusing on maths (including straight-line speed statistics). "How exciting was the drive ?" as leading question ringing your mind when you get out of the car.

It was/is up to BMW and BMW M to decide whether to further explore (also) that semi-kinky direction on the 'warmer side of cool' spectrum. Hence, the M2 and possible M2 variants (CSL/GTS).

Whether the 1M's spiritual successor(s) can match the 1M awesomeness level, is a tad too personal (and currently even too early to answer). Personal preferences will be of influence: so-called 'purism' (though a rather vague notion), nostalgia, daily driver, more street-oriented, more track-oriented, regularly also significant others on board, etc. ? For some the M2 (c.q. future M2 variants) will certainly match that level, for some it will even up the ante with another notch and for some it will fall short.

Here's to hoping that most car enthusiasts, c.q. ///M-thusiasts, will consider - in a near-future digital-ish eDrive era - that both the 1M and the M2 remain prime examples of motoring marvels straight out of that good old six-banger semi-'analog' ///M era.

A lot of enthusiasts are craving to even get a ride in any of these vehicles. If you happen to own one of these, then consider yourself a lucky person. Take it out for another drive soon, and enjoy it to bits. In the end, none of the experienced moments of driving pleasure can ever be taken away from you anymore.

01-20-2016, 12:33 AM   #202
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Actually, I think that looking at the M2 and the 1M from the front at the same time improves the M2's front end. Alone, it looks a bit boy racer, with a hint of Japanese excess. But sitting next to the 1M, it looks angrier and more purposeful.

The 1M's rear is somewhat better than the M2's in a direct view, but it is WAY better from the side. For some reason, the M2's rear viewed from the side looks like a saggy butt to me. It droops.

I think they both look very good in profile, other than that saggy butt.

Butts of cars are important. My track car is a 930, though, so I may be something of a fetishist.

Still, there is nothing there that is close to a deal killer for me. Impatiently waiting on a dealer list, with 5 grand down. Right now, I'm thinking Mineral Grey, but I go back and forth among that, LBB and Sapphire Black almost daily. I need to see these in person, under different lighting conditions, somehow...
Appreciate 0