07-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #67
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty
I hope this isnt what the final production is going to look like. Its wayyy too similar to the m235. Such a highly anticipated car...u think they would come out with a bang
Still time. It hasn't come out yet.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #68
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and say that styling-wise this is another missed opportunity.

This is a car aimed at the young to inspire the next genration of enthusiats (and dynamically it is sure to be mega) so why didn't they do something bold with the M treatment like the 1 M? It should have been like the Grand Tourismo concept; boy would that have been something!

Why oh why does BMW continue to produce vanilla in a time when others are churning out chili chocolate?
You missed a lot of the talk and my post just a second ago.

The front aerodynamics will look very similar to the concept GT6 car. There are several looks at the rear as well, which indicate large vents at the rear like the concept. I think this car will look more aggressive than the M4, but maybe a little more refined than the 1M. The 1M looked beast because of its raw look. This car will be the 1M with a button down shirt.
      07-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #69
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Didn't know so many people had X-ray vision, dang.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      07-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #70
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
You missed a lot of the talk and my post just a second ago.

The front aerodynamics will look very similar to the concept GT6 car. There are several looks at the rear as well, which indicate large vents at the rear like the concept. I think this car will look more aggressive than the M4, but maybe a little more refined than the 1M. The 1M looked beast because of its raw look. This car will be the 1M with a button down shirt.
A lot of the people being negative about the car haven't been following the car's development.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #71
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman Murch View Post
The ~2017 1 series sedan on the UKL platform can also accommodate an inline-6. I don't see BMW pimping out a regular 2GC but could see the effort on the M2GC or M240IGC. If the M2 is presented in greater volume and is a great seller then I can see the business case for such a model. However, if there is a global downturn again or the M2 is not as differentiated from the M235i or better than the F80 well then I'm not sure. You bring up a valid point. Maybe Scott can tell us a new clue that will keep us on edge.
The 2017 1 series will be FWD/AWD...
BMW is about making money, and the bean counters have first say. There is no 2 series GC, which means if they make a M2 GC, they would have to make a new body, with doors and chassis mods, that takes money and time to engineer. M cars come from existing cars. So, unless there are plans for a 2 series GC, a M2GC is like wishing Pegasus was real.
We are already lucky the M2 and its higher performance variant was green lit for production. Especially the M2 Hi-PO model.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #72
Yogijet
Captain
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i, Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M
I am going to go out on a limb and say that styling-wise this is another missed opportunity.

This is a car aimed at the young to inspire the next genration of enthusiats (and dynamically it is sure to be mega) so why didn't they do something bold with the M treatment like the 1 M? It should have been like the Grand Tourismo concept; boy would that have been something!

Why oh why does BMW continue to produce vanilla in a time when others are churning out chili chocolate?
I hope the limb doesn't break before BMW does a full reveal.

BMW Performance Exhaust, Michelin Pilot Supersports F-225/40, R-255/35, BMW Performance Suspension, BMW Performance black kidneys, Quaife LSD, M3 rear sub-f bushings, M3 front control arm, rear guide rod and rear upper link kits, BMW Performance cross-drilled/slotted rotors, AFE Cold Air Intake.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #73
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Didn't know so many people had X-ray vision, dang.
Yeah lot's of people who haven't seen the car seem really disappointed. I want whatever crystal ball they're using.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #74
valdimitrv
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey guys, I'm wondering why are the front side fenders sticking out and leaving a hole when looking at the cars from the back. Am I the only one seeing it on the photos? Sorry for my bad english.

Regards!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 12:38 PM   #75
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdimitrv View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering why are the front side fenders sticking out and leaving a hole when looking at the cars from the back. Am I the only one seeing it on the photos? Sorry for my bad english.

Regards!
There will be a fender vent there, however it will be longer than the one on the M4 and M3. BMW is hiding the vents design until reveal, so they have the camo over lapping it completely
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #76
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatty View Post
I hope this isnt what the final production is going to look like. Its wayyy too similar to the m235. Such a highly anticipated car...u think they would come out with a bang
is that all you got ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Yeah lot's of people who haven't seen the car seem really disappointed. I want whatever crystal ball they're using.
I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_Hoonigan View Post
I'm sure when the car is unveiled with the front, rear bumper and side profile, all this "similar" talk will be silenced

Not really.. but yes... A few side skirts, a rear spoiler and a front bumper cover and a set of new wheels don't make it a completely different vehicle.. LOL

I mean.. the reason that they look " SIMILAR" is because it's the same car.... (DUH!) Lots of the car is IMPROVED upon... but the overall shape of say... a 435 vs an M4 is just not gonna change... so it's amazingly silly that people are " Disappointed".. as if they are expecting a completely different car to be on these pages now.. The biggest changes are going to be under the hood with tuning, and in the suspension components....

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-06-2015 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #77
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post

Thanks for " Going out on a limb " there for us....

Chili chocolate? no thanks..!!

NO chili in my chocolate... and I don't want any chocolate in my chili either.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #78
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
The 2017 1 series will be FWD/AWD...
BMW is about making money, and the bean counters have first say. There is no 2 series GC, which means if they make a M2 GC, they would have to make a new body, with doors and chassis mods, that takes money and time to engineer. M cars come from existing cars. So, unless there are plans for a 2 series GC, a M2GC is like wishing Pegasus was real.
We are already lucky the M2 and its higher performance variant was green lit for production. Especially the M2 Hi-PO model.
WRONG. DEAD WRONG. COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG.

you just said it yourself...

BMW is about making money... and there is a market for an M2 GC... and their competitors are making models that are selling like hot cakes... which means that BMW will do what they can to ... ( yes... make more money!) and make a 2 series Gran Coupe.

When it comes to " making a new body" .. that's the easy part now..

have you noticed that's why BMW can make things like 5 Series GT... 3 series GT.. 2 series tourer.. 4 series gran coupe.. lots of models on one platform!

It doesn't cost a lot to make a new body on the new platform .. So... Since you are so confident the bean counters will rule.. are you now going to say that those bean counters will intentionally NOT find another reason to make another chassis and another way to make more MONEY ?

the 2017 1 series will be one thing... however.... that does not mean that a 2017 2 Series sedan couldn't be an entirely different thing...

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-06-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 12:59 PM   #79
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
WRONG. DEAD WRONG. COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG.

you just said it yourself...

BMW is about making money... and there is a market for an M2 GC... and their competitors are making models that are selling like hot cakes... which means that BMW will do what they can to ... ( yes... make more money!) and make a 2 series Gran Coupe.

When it comes to " making a new body" .. that's the easy part now..

have you noticed that's why BMW can make things like 5 Series GT... 3 series GT.. 2 series tourer.. 4 series gran coupe.. lots of models on one platform!

It doesn't cost a lot to make a new body on the new platform .. So... Since you are so confident the bean counters will rule.. are you now going to say that those bean counters will not find another reason to make another chassis and another way to make more MONEY ?
I agree with him on this. The amount of money that needs to be put into engineering is imense, they're not going to make an M2 GC without a 2 GC first. They won't go through all that money just for an M model alone.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #80
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by valdimitrv View Post
Hey guys, I'm wondering why are the front side fenders sticking out and leaving a hole when looking at the cars from the back. Am I the only one seeing it on the photos?
No, you're not the only one seeing that. I do, too. I think they are using some sort of material to hide the side vents which are going to be just forward of the door (shown below). It appears they have been unable to align the disguising material perfectly with the door panel. So, the material extends just far enough out to be apparent in photos shot from the rear looking forward.
That's my thought on it. BTW, doesn't this color look a lot better than LBB?
Attached Images

Last edited by fuddman; 07-06-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
No, you're not the only one seeing that. I do, too. I think they are using some sort of material to hide the side vents which are going to be just forward of the door (shown below). It appears they have been unable to align the disguising material perfectly with the door panel. So, the material extends just far enough out to be apparent in photos shot from the rear looking forward.

that's pretty stunning in that yellow..

The one good thing for M2 fans is production time.... with more than 1 year of production... and a full production time.... I would bet that more colors are approved for the car based on the colors at the Leipzing plant changing.. Either they add some i3/i8 colors to the M2 or they approve a new color as one gets phased out.. I would love to see a yellow like Atacama Yellow, or something like a Melbourne red.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #82
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Sure, it looks great (even though the PS is wrong), but not enough for me to:
1) Not consider the M2 because there isn't a true yellow option
2) Start 20 threads about the lack of color choices.

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #83
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
I agree with him on this. The amount of money that needs to be put into engineering is imense, they're not going to make an M2 GC without a 2 GC first. They won't go through all that money just for an M model alone.
Agreed... and nor am I saying it will be an M model alone. A 228 gran coupe and or a 235 coupe would likely come first.
There is a hole in the BMW lineuop big enough to drive a CLA and an Audi A3 right though it...

I would imagine that models dubbed 1 series in Germany would actually be designed as a 2 series for the US... in the same way that the 235 coupe is for the US where as the 135 hatch is for other markets.. The E82 coupe chassis was designed for the US market.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #84
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
... Melbourne red.
Imola Red.
That'll get in the knickers of the E46 people. JUST KIDDING!!!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #85
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Imola Red.
That'll get in the knickers of the E46 people. JUST KIDDING!!!
true... or a completely new red would be nice..... oh wait..I got it..

IMOLA RED II
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #86
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
Some people just don't get it, do they?
And by the way this video from BMW is fake too if you believe really that they wouldn't for a second throw in a fake panel insert on a mule car, ya right.............I guess they do this to fool most people and it looks like they have, lol.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #87
s3baman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuespeedgti View Post
I agree, and why didn't they get rid of that horrible hood line.
I think that BMW has done quite a good job at taking queues from the GT6 concept with the bumpers. I do however agree with you that they should have removed the hood line. I don't quite understand why we need to wait until the G platform. This could have been implemented as a mid cycle upgrade, timed with the release of the M2
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #88
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
I only wish it looked like this
Appreciate 0