BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 weight vs M235i and 228i

05-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #23
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
What exactly is there to get excited or depressed about? I haven't heard anything factual... we know the car has two doors, four exhaust pipes and a roundel. I take everything else with a grain of salt.
I think it's funny how this thread came into being. Usually, this would be a topic that would have been done when the news of a new model is announced, but we've known about the M2 for quite some time.
I think what we are seeing here is people grasping at straws, or pawing for new info.

Find it funny how we don't know much about a car that will start production in 5 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #24
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iDCT View Post
don't forget the m2 will come with DCT and air to water cooling system, 4 tips muffler all will add weight, im sure the m2 will be heavier than the 235m not less than 100 lb
Air to water cooling system huh? Where did you hear that, same sources that said the car will have S58?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The more I keep reading about this car, the less I seem to care about it.

If Dinan can add 55hp and 80 lbs-ft of torque for less than 2 grand, why would BMW spend all their R&D on the engine? Doesn't make any sense. The N55 can handle beaucoup more power without reliability issues.

It would make more sense if BMW would up the power moderately over the M235i and greatly lower the weight by using tech they've learned from the i8 and i3. Carbon. Lots of it. Make this thing light and agile, and less torque and burnouts.
How do you know where BMW spends the R&D? We don't even know what modifications will be made. Who says it's for more power?

And where are you going to put all that CF? Just curious.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I think it's funny how this thread came into being. Usually, this would be a topic that would have been done when the news of a new model is announced, but we've known about the M2 for quite some time.
I think what we are seeing here is people grasping at straws, or pawing for new info.

Find it funny how we don't know much about a car that will start production in 5 months.
Agreed. Makes me weary of clicking all these threads that don't have "New spyshots" in the title.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #26
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Even thought BMW hasn't come out and said for certain what it will have, you can definitely assume aluminum suspension components, wider fenders/wheels/tires, LSD, improved steering and quicker steering ratio, stiffer subframe bushings, beefier front strut brace, stronger spindles, bigger brakes. I mean it's being marketed as a true M car after all, so they literally HAVE to have that stuff or face getting slammed by auto review magazines. Other than that, I'm not sure what the big deal is. I mean, look what they did with the 1M, it was basically an M3 in a 1 series chassis/body with a tuned N54 engine. You can expect the exact same from the M2. Hopefully they take out some sound insulation here and there to keep the weight down and to also make this thing a little more exciting. The current gen BMWs I've driven have been really boring iyam
Well I was being dramatic to make a point. I think it's safe to say the car won't be a hybrid as well. Even with all your points taken, if you have reason to lose excitement over this car, it's simply because you don't find M cars exciting anymore. And that's fine...
      05-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #27
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The more I keep reading about this car, the less I seem to care about it.

If Dinan can add 55hp and 80 lbs-ft of torque for less than 2 grand, why would BMW spend all their R&D on the engine? Doesn't make any sense. The N55 can handle beaucoup more power without reliability issues.

It would make more sense if BMW would up the power moderately over the M235i and greatly lower the weight by using tech they've learned from the i8 and i3. Carbon. Lots of it. Make this thing light and agile, and less torque and burnouts.
It's all about economics. Weight savings cost more than a tune.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #28
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Agreed. Makes me weary of clicking all these threads that don't have "New spyshots" in the title.
I concur. This is beyond speculation. I think many of us are weary and are coming up with threads to stem the weariness.

No real talk of brakes, wheels, etc. extensive analysis on the front end design and rear wheel flares. That has taken up more time, energy and effort from all of us...yet no real concrete specs, etc. Had this been the M3/M4, or M5/M6, Chris Harris would have already driven a prototype by now.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #29
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS3andME View Post
I concur. This is beyond speculation. I think many of us are weary and are coming up with threads to stem the weariness.

No real talk of brakes, wheels, etc. extensive analysis on the front end design and rear wheel flares. That has taken up more time, energy and effort from all of us...yet no real concrete specs, etc. Had this been the M3/M4, or M5/M6, Chris Harris would have already driven a prototype by now.
Yea nothing for me to care about. All I know is that I want the car. If I liked the M235i as much as I do (even over the M3 sometimes), then I KNOW the M2 will be a winner.

So in the meantime, I've gone ahead and detailed my M3's to pass time. Also just bought a used HRE S101 wheel that I'm gonna turn into a coffee table. Gotta do something with my free time now that M2 subforum has been so dead right?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #30
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yea nothing for me to care about. All I know is that I want the car. If I liked the M235i as much as I do (even over the M3 sometimes), then I KNOW the M2 will be a winner.

So in the meantime, I've gone ahead and detailed my M3's to pass time. Also just bought a used HRE S101 wheel that I'm gonna turn into a coffee table. Gotta do something with my free time now that M2 subforum has been so dead right?
Lol...
Well, something to pass the time by. Meanwhile, Cadillac is coming out with a competitor to the 2 series, and it will be RWD (confirmed for now, who knows in the future), the RS3 in sedan form looks promising. And I have taken a shine to the new Ford Mustang GT...

Pass the time on, we shall...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:04 PM   #31
Bemo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3 LRP Edition

Frog man's been quiet and hiding. All the Marketing BS is probably teed up to start soon so think of this as the "quiet before the storm."
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 07:15 AM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Frog man's been quiet and hiding. All the Marketing BS is probably teed up to start soon so think of this as the "quiet before the storm."
Yeah, somewhere out there some M2 video material and pictures must be getting edited to teasers. Or is already ready for release and embargoed till a set date. 6-7 months before the production starts (November 2015) = it's about time to get the act together.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Legitimate question.... is this the first time you guys have followed a launch? This is how it is EVERY TIME. I've known of "Scott" for over a decade now and this is the normal game he/they play.
Appreciate 3
      05-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #34
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Legitimate question.... is this the first time you guys have followed a launch? This is how it is EVERY TIME. I've known of "Scott" for over a decade now and this is the normal game he/they play.
I was here for the 1M development. I forgot when they did the partial reveal, and the teaser vid. Also, the M5---Chris Harris drove a prototype. The M3/M4, well it had more coverage and more "material"---images showing engine bay, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:31 PM   #35
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Well, maybe there is more to it, I mean the possibility of;

-Technical problems
-Maybe the M2 is too good, and too close too an M3-M4
-Maybe the M2 is too bad, and too close too an ///M235i
-Upcoming cars like a 400HP VW Golf

It could be possible the M3-M4 will have an HP increase, to make a more powerful M2 possible?

I feel there are some problems how to place the car between al BMW competitors aswel outside competitors.

Questions, questions, I don`t know the answers, but it`s not impossible I presume.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
BIGMIG
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3/ '13 F800GS

I think hot weather testing is the phase we haven't seen yet.

I imagine if there is any area that could stall development it would be cooling.

Where does BMW do it's hot weather testing? Is it warm enough there yet? Are spy photogs hanging out?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #37
IS3andME
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelY View Post

I imagine if there is any area that could stall development it would be cooling.

Where does BMW do it's hot weather testing? Is it warm enough there yet? Are spy photogs hanging out?
And with it's hot weather testing, does that mean the same amount of camo? Or less camo on the front, which means there will be a 10-20 page break down of the front "fangs"? Another 10-20 page thread on rear fender flares? And a 5-10 page thread on whether or not it will get a carbon fiber roof? And then the odd thread of the "hardcore" M2?

See, I just covered everything that may happen, all in one post.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #38
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

So one thing I am confused on the weight, what makes the US version of the M235i so much heavier than the EU one? According to the image posted earlier, the European M235i weighs in at about 3375lbs that is including a 68kg driver and 7kg luggage and a 90% gas tank fill.

So the car in bare form sans driver/luggage etc is closer to 3200lbs give or take 50. I fail to see what is causing the extra weight? I mean lots of extra weight... even fully loaded, I don't see how options will add up to 150lbs+ has anybody weighed their 235 properly?
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #39
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
So one thing I am confused on the weight, what makes the US version of the M235i so much heavier than the EU one? According to the image posted earlier, the European M235i weighs in at about 3375lbs that is including a 68kg driver and 7kg luggage and a 90% gas tank fill.

So the car in bare form sans driver/luggage etc is closer to 3200lbs give or take 50. I fail to see what is causing the extra weight? I mean lots of extra weight... even fully loaded, I don't see how options will add up to 150lbs+ has anybody weighed their 235 properly?
I believe US cars are weighed with what the majority of customers will option in. US M235i's already come with quite a few options standard before considering what the majority will option in... Power seats, AT, sunroof, etc really can add up.
      05-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #40
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelY View Post

I live in SWFL and saw a couple of cammo-covered BMW vehicles in my area last summer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #41
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

My two cents:

GSR's 228i is a base: no M Sport bodywork, no auxiliary radiators (228i M Sport has one; M235is have two), no THP (the bigger brakes & trick dampers likely add at least 6-8lbs per wheel), no leather (I guarantee real hide weighs twice as much as SensaTec, and that leather is part of the U.S.-spec weight) larger wheels and tires (probably another extra 8-10lbs per wheel), slightly larger oil and coolant capacities, a significantly lighter exhaust than the N55, etc. Don't just think in terms of the engine itself: think of the hardware that serves the engine -- and the model -- too.

(Also: Euro M235is don't have the second auxiliary radiator that the U.S. M235i does. That's likely 15-20lbs of difference right there. Who know what else the Euro M235i has that U.S. models don't as standard?)

As for the M2: I think weight, handling, and relative lack of luxury equipment HAVE to be the design priorities because power outputs, trim level, and outright speed are too similar between M cars, particularly the M3/M4. The 2-series is already established as the 'base' Bimmer, to the point that auto mags and the enthusiast marketplace already acknowledge it as the "driver's" BMW to own. BMW would be smart to take that and expand it with the M2 to help differentiate it from the other M cars. Not to the point of carbon-fiber roofs, because that costs. But a more liberal use of aluminum -- including in the roof and hood -- along with forged wheels, less sound deadening, and drilled this-and-that? Sure.
Appreciate 2
      05-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #42
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
My two cents:

GSR's 228i is a base: no M Sport bodywork, no auxiliary radiators (228i M Sport has one; M235is have two), no THP (the bigger brakes & trick dampers likely add at least 6-8lbs per wheel), no leather (I guarantee real hide weighs twice as much as SensaTec, and that leather is part of the U.S.-spec weight) larger wheels and tires (probably another extra 8-10lbs per wheel), slightly larger oil and coolant capacities, a significantly lighter exhaust than the N55, etc. Don't just think in terms of the engine itself: think of the hardware that serves the engine -- and the model -- too.

(Also: Euro M235is don't have the second auxiliary radiator that the U.S. M235i does. That's likely 15-20lbs of difference right there. Who know what else the Euro M235i has that U.S. models don't as standard?)

As for the M2: I think weight, handling, and relative lack of luxury equipment HAVE to be the design priorities because power outputs, trim level, and outright speed are too similar between M cars, particularly the M3/M4. The 2-series is already established as the 'base' Bimmer, to the point that auto mags and the enthusiast marketplace already acknowledge it as the "driver's" BMW to own. BMW would be smart to take that and expand it with the M2 to help differentiate it from the other M cars. Not to the point of carbon-fiber roofs, because that costs. But a more liberal use of aluminum -- including in the roof and hood -- along with forged wheels, less sound deadening, and drilled this-and-that? Sure.
Spot on across the board, thank you for your thoughts!

For the sake of comparison and for a more accurate conversation (speculative as it may be), I would really like to know what a base m235i clocks in at whether U.S.or euro-spec, has anyone seen this info posted and care to share?
      05-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #43
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Spot on across the board, thank you for your thoughts!

For the sake of comparison and for a more accurate conversation (speculative as it may be), I would really like to know what a base m235i clocks in at whether U.S.or euro-spec, has anyone seen this info posted and care to share?
The image posted earlier contains the info, Euro spec posts in at 3370 roughly. That is including a 68kg driver, 7kg luggage and 90% full tank.

If we use rough numbers, the driver and luggage are 165lbs roughly and the fuel is about 90lbs. So minus 255 lbs (lets under estimate, a bit) and go with around 3120-3150 for a bare bones M235i with almost no fuel and no driver or luggage.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #44
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

by the way some hot weather testing happens here in SoCal out near palm springs.... in LA i've seen M2 prototype twice but not revealing anything that hasn't already been seen. Also see the new 7er driving around in full camo all the time. At least once a month I see a camo'd up BMW prototype but the cars they test here never reveal anything we haven't already seen.
Appreciate 0