BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW M3/M4 F8X Carbon Fiber Strut Mod on the BMW M2

04-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #221
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Mine was possibly broken off on my alu brace. Don't miss it
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 11:25 AM   #222
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Mine was possibly broken off on my alu brace. Don't miss it
Yup - looking at Nezil's photo I posted, the part can't coexist with CFRP as it looks like it's sitting by where the rear part of CFRP brace bolts to alloy brace.
      04-04-2020, 12:10 PM   #223
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Yup - looking at Nezil's photo I posted, the part can't coexist with CFRP as it looks like it's sitting by where the rear part of CFRP brace bolts to alloy brace.
Look closely at the shadow it casts - it appears to stand off the aluminium enough for the end of the carbon brace to slide in underneath.

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:13 PM   #224
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Look closely at the shadow it casts - it appears to stand off the aluminium enough for the end of the carbon brace to slide in underneath.

Ah yes - good spot - can't seem to find it's part no on realoem though ???

Any suggestions welcomed
      04-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #225
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

I went and had another look at mine: the bit in question is part of the rubber cover for the strut top.

I think I'm going to rework the cable to the jumpstart terminal as I'd forgotten just how close it is to the alloy brace - even though I put a kink in it...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #226
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I went and had another look at mine: the bit in question is part of the rubber cover for the strut top.

I think I'm going to rework the cable to the jumpstart terminal as I'd forgotten just how close it is to the alloy brace - even though I put a kink in it...
Interesting- I will have to take a look at mine again as I have the oem OSF rubber strut cover installed.
      04-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #227
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

Mine is from the M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 02:33 AM   #228
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine is from the M4.
Yes as are mine so will definitely take another look - you see it clearly in the 1st photo from the link below

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=29
      04-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #229
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

So how do you replace the stock air filter? Do you have to unbolt the carbon brace or is there a workaround?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #230
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
So how do you replace the stock air filter? Do you have to unbolt the carbon brace or is there a workaround?
The CFRP section is only held on with 6 bolts, none of which are single use. You'll probably have to remove it to replace the air filter, but it's hardly a difficult job.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2020, 07:47 AM   #231
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
The CFRP section is only held on with 6 bolts, none of which are single use. You'll probably have to remove it to replace the air filter, but it's hardly a difficult job.
Thanks. When I got my car a bit more than a year ago, it already had the carbon and the aluminum braces installed and I didn't think much about it then. I was hoping that the brace was a "set it and forget it" install but I guess it's still simple enough to remove for the annual air filter job.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #232
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I took a look through Nezil parts list (really helpful) and my question is if I'm also installing M4 camber plates what can I remove from that list? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've had the carbon u shaped piece and aluminum brace sitting around for over a year and I'm finally ready to install it along with a set of MCS coilovers and GC camber plates.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #233
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0105 View Post
I took a look through Nezil parts list (really helpful) and my question is if I'm also installing M4 camber plates what can I remove from that list? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've had the carbon u shaped piece and aluminum brace sitting around for over a year and I'm finally ready to install it along with a set of MCS coilovers and GC camber plates.
Mike
You won’t need the strut top hats, because your camber plates replace those, and you won’t need the 10 bolts that mount those to the towers, because GC plates have a ring with studs and nuts that gets used instead. You also won’t need the shock top nut, at least you won’t need the one in the list, you might need a different one if it’s single use like the stock one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #234
Nezil
Major
Rep

Duplicate post from 'What did you do to your M2 Today' in case people were following along here:

Finally received my CFRP brace, shipped from England. I was sure it was never going to arrive, and ended up ordering another one from Florida which is arriving tomorrow - Doh!

Anyway, fitted it last night and went for a drive, then spent an hour this morning wet sanding the scratches (P800, P1000, P3000, P5000), then polishing it to a nice shine (M105, M205):

The CFRP brace obviously brings some bling, but also improves the overall handling and comfort, even from only having the Aluminium brace fitted initially. I cannot understand why anyone would spend money on coil overs without doing this mod first, the difference in suspension feel is incredible.... Now I can see why people say that the M2C rides so much better.... It sure as hell does!

CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 3
Saanen180.50
Altra265.50
      04-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #235
Johnsonuspp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Looks amazing!!! great retro-fit!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #236
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonuspp View Post
Looks amazing!!! great retro-fit!!!!
Thanks, now have to get yours done!

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #237
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
You won’t need the strut top hats, because your camber plates replace those, and you won’t need the 10 bolts that mount those to the towers, because GC plates have a ring with studs and nuts that gets used instead. You also won’t need the shock top nut, at least you won’t need the one in the list, you might need a different one if it’s single use like the stock one.
Thanks...that's what I thought but I appreciate you confirming. Once the suspension arrives I'll be starting this project and hopefully it goes smoothly
Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #238
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

Sorry if it's a repeat but can you use M3/M4 strut top hats or do you need the M2C's?

As well, has anyone done this mod *without* the strut reinforcement bearing? Nezil, I know you said the M2C is without them, just wondering what effect it would have to be without it. Thoughts? I imagine a little less rigid but how much?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #239
Nezil
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drledford93 View Post
Sorry if it's a repeat but can you use M3/M4 strut top hats or do you need the M2C's?
All parts are listed a few pages back. The M2C has the same components as the M3 and M4 for the strut top hats and most of the other components as well.

Quote:
As well, has anyone done this mod *without* the strut reinforcement bearing? Nezil, I know you said the M2C is without them, just wondering what effect it would have to be without it. Thoughts? I imagine a little less rigid but how much?
I'm not sure what you mean by reinforcement bearing? Do you mean the reinforcing rings that go around the top of the strut towers? I've no idea what it would be like without them, but I seriously doubt you'd be able to notice a difference. I can't remember how much they cost but while I had everything off I decided to fit them... no additional work that way and couldn't harm.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 03:28 AM   #240
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
The CFRP brace obviously brings some bling, but also improves the overall handling and comfort, even from only having the Aluminium brace fitted initially. I cannot understand why anyone would spend money on coil overs without doing this mod first, the difference in suspension feel is incredible.... Now I can see why people say that the M2C rides so much better.... It sure as hell does!
I'm hoping to do the brace upgrade when I manage to find them 2nd hand, down here BMW AU want $5K for the carbon fibre & $1.5K for the alloy.

Have to say though good coil overs will fix something the braces can't, the rear suspension. The at times violent rebound is imo the most dangerous aspect of the car. At speed on unfamiliar country roads the dips/undulations severe enough to be a problem aren't always obvious until you're on them (too late), you're suddenly using the steering wheel to both steer and hold yourself so you come back down into the drivers seat. On a bend at serious speed it's heart-in-mouth .
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 05:53 AM   #241
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post

Have to say though good coil overs will fix something the braces can't, the rear suspension. The at times violent rebound is imo the most dangerous aspect of the car. At speed on unfamiliar country roads the dips/undulations severe enough to be a problem aren't always obvious until you're on them (too late), you're suddenly using the steering wheel to both steer and hold yourself so you come back down into the drivers seat. On a bend at serious speed it's heart-in-mouth .
It reads like it might be worth you trying to cut down rear bump stops (aka 2nd dampers in BMW speak). If rear wheel travel is limited by hitting the b/stops the damping response will be more intense. Trimming b/stops down will allow rear dampers more stroke to work more effectively.

Plus its a relatively easy DIY

Trimmed b/stops and perhaps a proper rear brace might allow rear suspension to be more effective for little outlay...

Above images taken from my posts in the thread linked below

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1713735
      04-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #242
drledford93
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus RS (RIP), C43 AMG

I was doing this late at night (relatively) and my brain must have been in screen saver...

Yes, I was asking about the rings that go between the aluminum strut brace and the shock tower itself. They are $160/pair. Not terribly expensive but if not necessary...

I found that the M2C's top hat and the M3/M4's are different part numbers. They look identical from what I could tell in close up pics, hence the confusion.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0