BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > E92 m3 to m2 ....

11-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #67
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
This may come as a shock to you, but DSC wasn't always in automobiles. Somehow the world survived. People bitching about not being able to turn off auto rev matching while DSC is on are literally saying, "I want to pretend I'm a good driver by not having the computer rev match for me, while secretly having the computer prevent me from crashing."
This may come as a shock to you, but 300+ HP weren't always in regular street cars. The level of performance in M2s were supercar figures only about 10-15 years ago. There are too many idiots on the road. I'd rather be on the road with my kids with cars that have the safety features ON next to me. I don't want any macho-manly-men crashing into me while they try to drive like they are on a race track.

If you really feel like the Man, take out the ABS, airbags, radio, navigation, and Xenon/Led headlights while you are at it. heck, just go buy a sports car from 1970s and call it a day.

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #68
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Shots Fired!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #69
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero
Shots Fired!
bang bang!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #70
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Very informative thread (minus the DSC nonsense).

I am in a similar boat I guess. Had the E92 M3 for about 9 months then I got rid of it and got the E70 X5M. Love the X5M and it has it's own advantages, however, can't help missing the sports car feeling. Thinking about picking up a M2 and just not sure if I will be making the right move or not. This thread helped somewhat and I am definitely open to other comments and suggestions.
FWIW, I kept my X5 4.8i (winter, fishing, home center) and bought the M2 (spring, summer, fall).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:34 AM   #71
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Very informative thread (minus the DSC nonsense).

I am in a similar boat I guess. Had the E92 M3 for about 9 months then I got rid of it and got the E70 X5M. Love the X5M and it has it's own advantages, however, can't help missing the sports car feeling. Thinking about picking up a M2 and just not sure if I will be making the right move or not. This thread helped somewhat and I am definitely open to other comments and suggestions.
My dealer had a M2 in LBB with the m Performance package and other carbon fiber bits on it come in a few days ago for another customer. They let me know it was in so I could come take a look and I was blown away by the car. So aggressive, the color was absolutely amazing. The carbon rear spoiler really accented the car nicely. I was also impressed with the interior given all the bad press its received. It's really nice. Coming from a e92 m3 with extended leather and carbon fiber leather trim I thought it was on par with my previous car. Maybe not as nice material wise but still amazing.

I basically submitted an order for an identical build but may add the carbon fiber rear diffuser and possibly the mirror caps. I am also adding the carbon fiber gear shifter for the DCT transmission (outgoing car was a 6MT). I'm waiting for a build number but I get the next allocation when it come up, probably end of the month with delivery by spring.

When I get the car I'll post my thoughts comparing it to my previous car. Mind you I'm not a track guy, I use this as my summer/warm weather drive to work car which consists of about 2 to 4 hours in the car per day driving on twisty back roads so for me what matters is 60mph and less.

I can't wait!!!
      12-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #72
Dimis
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
Well went to the dealer today and they just got in a LBB M2 with M Performance package, executive package and other carbon fiber goodies. Looked gorgeous. LBB for me please!
Very nice you will enjoy it a lot, i would recommend you get the MPE exhaust as well i wont lie its pricey however it really bumps up the noise and crackles its very good, of course other exhausts out there are better however with the MPE you keep the car unmodified for insurance purposes at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #73
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
My dealer had a M2 in LBB with the m Performance package and other carbon fiber bits on it come in a few days ago for another customer. They let me know it was in so I could come take a look and I was blown away by the car. So aggressive, the color was absolutely amazing. The carbon rear spoiler really accented the car nicely. I was also impressed with the interior given all the bad press its received. It's really nice. Coming from a e92 m3 with extended leather and carbon fiber leather trim I thought it was on par with my previous car. Maybe not as nice material wise but still amazing.

I basically submitted an order for an identical build but may add the carbon fiber rear diffuser and possibly the mirror caps. I am also adding the carbon fiber gear shifter for the DCT transmission (outgoing car was a 6MT). I'm waiting for a build number but I get the next allocation when it come up, probably end of the month with delivery by spring.

When I get the car I'll post my thoughts comparing it to my previous car. Mind you I'm not a track guy, I use this as my summer/warm weather drive to work car which consists of about 2 to 4 hours in the car per day driving on twisty back roads so for me what matters is 60mph and less.

I can't wait!!!
2-4 hrs of driving a day for work? That's a lot!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #74
heart_doctor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
Quote:

I can't wait!!!
2-4 hrs of driving a day for work? That's a lot!
Yep. We provide care in underserved areas (rural America). Involves lots of driving ....
      12-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #75
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I ended up going with a 2016 M3 instead. Figured wouldn't mind the back doors/seats. Plus fell in love with the Yas Marina Blue colour.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #76
Bluedoor
Private
Rep

I loved my '09 E90 DCT but it was difficult to enjoy legally; found it overwhelmed the road. Low torque made it necessary to wind the beautiful V8 up to feel the car truly breath. 30 mph went to 100 mph in a moment. It was also the problem with the car as a high mileage daily driver.

Ordered the M2 with a hope that the engine and chassis is more accessible within the reasonable limits of the ordinary road. Updated electronics are a plus..along with the choice of the 6MT. The DCT has definitely developed to out perform the manual transmission but it lacks the intrinsic soul of The 6MT. Reasonably priced is a bonus!!
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2017, 10:23 PM   #77
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
For what it's worth, I have an e92 and have driven an M2.

I think the M3 is a better car for enjoying the drive, but the M2 is a better track car. The M3 is more special for its high-revving engine and better steering feel IMHO.

I'd love to have both!
      01-03-2017, 10:38 PM   #78
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
.........I am definitely open to other comments and suggestions.
Was going to M2 from E9x M3...then...
Not exactly this one, but, starting at 53,900, why not?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #79
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Quote:
.........I am definitely open to other comments and suggestions.
That looks like it belongs in Cars 3
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
Ian ///M491.00
      01-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #80
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Because flat 4 turbo. Yeah it's fast around a track and is supposedly a responsive engine, but I'd take a 981 any day over the 718.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      01-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #81
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

Quote:
It's sweet, but I ended up going for a F80 M3 instead.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #82
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

I have an E92 328 w/ the M2. Totally different from your M3 , but when I get in the 328 I love how raw the steering is. I feel like the E92 has a better turning radius than the M2 as well. I miss the E92 cupholders btw.
      01-04-2017, 07:22 PM   #83
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Let me get this straight, you put DSC off as in MDM or totally off all the time?
If it's 'totally off all the time' overhere where I live you have a deathwish for sure. And I do driftdays (off)and trackdays(turning it off or MDM depending on the situation)

Or you're just not driving 'fast enough' to get into danger/oversteer.

>10 years ago, I've been driving my ex 2002 E46 M3 6MT with everything off as a daily for 1 week, because there was something with the stability control /DSC electronics and my dealer had to order some parts which weren't there. It was autumn, but I had some moments in traffic.

So to make a long story short: On track/drifting: OFF (off course) but as a daily I 'm not so sure ...

Cheers
Robin
Yes, I drive with it totally off all the time. Somehow, I've made it 19k miles without crashing (and 74k miles in my previous bmw before another driver hit me). I am sure I have better driving weather than you do in the Netherlands though, I live in Kentucky and do not drive the car in the winter.

It is really cracking me up that you guys think driving a docile M2 with DSC off is a death wish. I would love to see you guys drive an old GT2 or Viper! Everyone who owned a pre 2000 sports car must have a death wish!
I have driven cars without DSC, you have to be aware of the situations and conditions, its not rocket science, but BMW has some of the best traction control systems in the industry, Its illogical to daily your car without DSC, it will only benefit you, even if you are a F1 driver.
      01-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #84
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
That looks like it belongs in Cars 3
Appreciate 1