BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Pure Electric M Cars are Eventuality Says BMW M CEO, But Hybridization Comes First

01-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #23
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Good, keep the gas price down so I can drive my inline-6 engined car more.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #24
tc328
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328

Garage List
2007 3  [0.00]
By the time I saved enough money to but an electric M car (assuming it'll be around $80k new). They have cars with no wheels....
Appreciate 1
adHudd12.00
      01-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal View Post
Good, keep the gas price down so I can drive my inline-6 engined car more.
Even when I have to pay $10/L for synthetic gas, I will still be driving my 1er.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #26
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

If we are being logical, it makes sense. How many people today still wish they had a horse and buggy? Some day very few will wish they had a manual V8 with four wheels because it's either, slow, unsafe, expensive to run or maintain or all of the above... Times are changing.

We all whine about things like sound but the performance and mileage continues to improve with electric. Plenty of NA M owners have jumped ship to Turbo M cars and don't care about the sound. If something truly is fun to drive then I will drive it. But let's face it, one day we won't be driving cars ourselves anymore and I think at that point very few will care what is under the hood let alone what sound it makes. It will be all about getting from A to B safely and efficiently. It reminds me of Will Smith in iRobot when he takes over his car manually and catches hell for it. Overriding autopilot may be something that an insurance company uses to void a claim. But now I'm on a tangent with autopilot instead of electric but they both are the future. I'm confident M will lubricate the transition as we go NA => Turbo => Hybrid => Electric

I'm excited and optimistic. But of course, I will always covet the E92 M3 and E60 M5

Last edited by Blindside_137; 01-13-2017 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
6ixSpd5996.50
Agni115.50
JTO245246.50
      01-13-2017, 02:09 PM   #27
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
If we are being logical, it makes sense. How many people today still wish they had a horse and buggy? Some day very few will wish they had a manual V8 with four wheels because it's either, slow, unsafe, expensive to run or maintain or all of the above... Times are changing.

We all whine about thinks like sound but the performance and mileage continues to improve with electric. Plenty of NA M owners have jumped ship to Turbo M cars and don't care about the sound. If something truly is fun to drive then I will drive it. But let's face it, one day we won't be driving cars ourselves anymore and I think at that point very few will care what is under the hood let alone what sound it makes. It will be all about getting from A to B safely and efficiently. It reminds me of Will Smith in iRobot when he takes over his car manually and catches hell for it. Overriding autopilot may be something that an insurance company uses to void a claim. But now I'm on a tangent with autopilot instead of electric but they both are the future. I'm confident M will lubricate the transition as we go NA => Turbo => Hybrid => Electric

I'm excited and optimistic. But of course, I will always covet the E92 M3 and E60 M5
100% agree. People here sound like luddites. Technological progress won't stop for you, either get with it or you will be left behind.
And if you are so in love with a v8 M3. Guess what buy a e92 M3 now and keep it forever.

My plan is to get an M2 or a slightly used e92 M3 and keep it forever as it will be one of the last great drivers cars. And it will sit quite well next to the 2030 Tesla Model 3 that might be in my garage.
Appreciate 3
      01-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #28
CurbBender'90
S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 S65

In the end I think BMW will b first for all electric and AMG will take more share for Driving Performance. BMW is shooting itself in the foot starting with the V8 cylinder after cylinder until there is no noise....
      01-13-2017, 02:30 PM   #29
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

The V8 Ms, especially the X5 & X6s will definitely benefit from at least a hybrid powertrain to at least improve MPG without sacrificing excitement. Pumping gas on those things gotta suck the time out of your life & gets played out quickly
      01-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #30
JorgenM
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Jag i-Pace and BMW i3

http://nseavoice.com/cars/2018-bmw-i...920020195.html

- BMW has made it clear that they are investing more on the I-division than the M-Division

Good decision in my opinion.
i is the new M
Appreciate 2
Nahlem1144.00
      01-13-2017, 02:50 PM   #31
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
My plan is to get an M2 or a slightly used e92 M3 and keep it forever as it will be one of the last great drivers cars. And it will sit quite well next to the 2030 Tesla Model 3 that might be in my garage.
That's my exact plan too! I have the M2 in the garage and my wife has a Nissan Leaf. Once the Model 3 comes out and the hype dies down, we will likely trade the leaf for the Tesla. It's the absolute ideal combination for our lifestyle and specific situation.

I love the roar of an IC engine as much as the next person on this forum, but I'm not sure why folks are all pissy about BMW's proclamation that the M will eventually go hybrid, then all electric. It's not like BMW is traveling sown that road for fun, or because we the buyers are demanding it. They are being legislated into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 02:52 PM   #32
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
T
Seriously, ever since i bought the i3, i cannot go back to diesel/petrol, it´s ancient stuff and the efficiency is nowhere close to the electric engine, nor is it any lag.
True? -
Quote:
In Norway, the Tesla Model S costs roughly $81,000 to $92,000 plus options (that's translated to US currency, of course). While the figure sounds high, fact is it's not. The typical, comparable (size and power) gas-burning vehicle in Norway goes for approximately $300,000.
I can see why you love electric cars.
      01-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #33
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgenM View Post
BMW has made it clear that they are investing more on the I-division than the M-Division

Good decision in my opinion.
i is the new M
Exactly! Germany, Europe's largest car market, is moving to ban the sale of petrol passenger cars in the next couple decades. If I were the CEO of BMW I'd be doing the same thing. Invest in the future, not the past. It's just a smart business move, no matter how mad the 0.01% of BMW buyers who make up 99% of this forum get about it.
Appreciate 2
Nahlem1144.00
      01-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #34
opihi5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
I really don't like the future of cars. They need to keep the v10
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #35
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
This is not a minute to soon, They need to adapt even faster to be at the fore front of technology development if BMW want to stay in the game at all.

Those of us who wan't to see BMW still around after 30 years when the restrictions get even harder for old tech to be around, We see this as great news, I hope BMW creates some brutal and awesome hybrids.

Imagine having an proper M with the hybrid tech that gets you to work and back without wasting a single dime then in the afternoon you release the full power of the beast on the road and in combination with the electric engine you get a hell of a kick.

Pure Internal Combustion engines is nothing but a waste of energy that doesn't get used to its full potential.

Keep up the good work BMW but you have to step up even faster to get at the fore front and stop being so afraid of implementing new tech in to your vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #36
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I'm so looking forward to the hybrid M vehicles. Imagine a performance-hybrid M car like the 918? Basically an i8 handed to the M division and giving it triple the power? I'm looking forward to that. ?

I'm not looking forward as much to the ALL electric performance M vehicles though. It will still be great for the future but I'm not ready for all electric M cars quite as yet.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #37
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Better at least be Hydrogen
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #38
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
100% agree. People here sound like luddites. Technological progress won't stop for you, either get with it or you will be left behind.
And if you are so in love with a v8 M3. Guess what buy a e92 M3 now and keep it forever.

Its not progress. Its different. Electric cars have been around for 100 yrs. The motors overheat after a couple pulls, the batteries take forever to charge, limited range, etc. Its not progress, its different. Gas has been and continues to be the superior technology. Electrics have their place. Hybrids to supplement gas, etc. Electrics were considered more viable when gas prices trippled under Obama due to him subsidizing them and cutting off 32% of the world's oil reserves. But now with trump bound to recind the subsidies, federal lands going to reopen, and gas prices certainly to plummet, the look less and less appealing. Many car makers bet big on hillary winning, global warming being validated, and the current oil and subsidies to continue. They lost. This trend is also going to continue throughout the world it looks like with brexit, Italy, France, etc. So this agenda is outdated by a year or more realisically is predated by decades.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #39
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

"M is about uncompromised motorsport"

I'd like BMW M to define this a bit further....

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #40
yuyue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i E90 MT

Love exhaust note, but can definitely live without it knowing it's just energy wasted in the form of sound instead of being used going forward...

It's a jump from burning molecules to moving electrons.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #41
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Its not progress. Its different. Electric cars have been around for 100 yrs. The motors overheat after a couple pulls, the batteries take forever to charge, limited range, etc. Its not progress, its different. Gas has been and continues to be the superior technology. Electrics have their place. Hybrids to supplement gas, etc. Electrics were considered more viable when gas prices trippled under Obama due to him subsidizing them and cutting off 32% of the world's oil reserves. But now with trump bound to recind the subsidies, federal lands going to reopen, and gas prices certainly to plummet, the look less and less appealing. Many car makers bet big on hillary winning, global warming being validated, and the current oil and subsidies to continue. They lost. This trend is also going to continue throughout the world it looks like with brexit, Italy, France, etc. So this agenda is outdated by a year or more realisically is predated by decades.
You forget that BMW deals with the world and the U.S. isn't the center of it. Trump removing every EPA law we have won't change the strict CO2 limits that much of the world has in place or are being pushed. Then, the article is talking about somewhere in the future, not tomorrow, next year or even in 5 years.
      01-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #42
addm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sportline

Quote:
Gas is not some God sent wonder fuel. An electric motor is the basis of modern industry. They are everywhere in a modern industrial world. Your diesel locomotive also have electric motor which do the pulling and the diesel engine generate electricity at its narrow efficient rpm band
You should watch video of Rimac one vs Porsche spyder. It is Porsche Spyder which not only got overheated after repeated pulls of drag racing but also lost the race.
And finally Trump is not a God either
Appreciate 1
-c-884.00
      01-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #43
Agni
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Gran Coupe

Garage List
2009 335xi  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
You are comparing electric car technology of the past to what is coming in the near future. Its like comparing an iPhone to an iPhone 7, are you claiming there won't be any progress in battery cost/technology? Look at the gigafactory....

Additionally, electric cars are at a point where they won't need subsidies in the future, so there is nothing gov't can do about it. These cars are becoming more and more economically viable. Local Energy Storage + Electric cars are going to be a game changing technology in 10-20yrs.

And FYI Tesla is designed AND built in America, unlike a lot of BMWs and other companies' cars. This is a huge boost to American economy and jobs, Trump is going to support this 100%. Why do you think Elon Musk is on his manufacturing jobs advisory council?
Appreciate 1
-c-884.00
      01-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #44
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuyue View Post
Love exhaust note, but can definitely live without it knowing it's just energy wasted in the form of sound instead of being used going forward...

It's a jump from burning molecules to moving electrons.
Electrons are often stored after there has been oxidation of molecules.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0