BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > well, I ordered an M2, but i think the dealership was full of it

04-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #23
Wreckt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Yeah I know. I like both but can't afford them all.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #24
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Huh? I'd say the M4 drives a lot closer to a M2 than a Cayman S does. Same layout, same basic architecture (chassis and engine), similar weight balance, shares suspension parts, brakes, wheels, transmission, diff. Cayman S is mid engine, N/A and drives nothing like BMW M products.
The Cayman's steering and overall road feel are very distinguishable from an M4 and much closer to an M2 in immediacy and connectedness to the road.

I do have to say, though, that the Cayman S I drove had a TPC turbo kit on it. So the engines felt more similar than they would have normally, I suppose.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #25
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
I just got one!!!. I pick it up next weekend
First of all, Congrats!

But this really makes me wonder... dealers marking up by various (and seemingly ever increasing amounts) in NA and Europe, and someone can just call around one day and find one for pick up within a week? Something really strange is going on. Or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #26
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
First of all, Congrats!

But this really makes me wonder... dealers marking up by various (and seemingly ever increasing amounts) in NA and Europe, and someone can just call around one day and find one for pick up within a week? Something really strange is going on. Or am I missing something?
There are people who hear 5k markup and just don't give a shit. It's all about location. I'm sure if you were to look into it, you'd see that Cali has way more markups than most other states, for example.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
There are people who hear 5k markup and just don't give a shit. It's all about location. I'm sure if you were to look into it, you'd see that Cali has way more markups than most other states, for example.
Yeah, but the OP just said no way he would pay a 5G markup, and still snagged a car in a day.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #28
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Congrats OP!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:12 PM   #29
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
The Cayman's steering and overall road feel are very distinguishable from an M4 and much closer to an M2 in immediacy and connectedness to the road.

I do have to say, though, that the Cayman S I drove had a TPC turbo kit on it. So the engines felt more similar than they would have normally, I suppose.
how much seat time do you have in an m2?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #30
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
how much seat time do you have in an m2?
30 minutes. And it took 5, max, to feel the difference from an M4. I drove them back to back.

The Cayman comparison I did from memory of a couple months prior.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er
Quote:
First of all, Congrats!

No. The same thing happened with the 1M.

Many dealers are changing their mind at the last moment and charging a markup. If they have a list of 10 buyers they feel that one of the ten will pay and probably are correct. Buyer 1 gets hosed but buyer 4 or some random caller may get it.

Just because a person jumps in and says " I got an allocation " doesn't mean they didn't pay a markup.. Some people simply are willing to pay to be the first on the block.

Also , Many buyers are also flaking out and going M235 , M4 or M3.

Some dealer general managers are ordering the car and then waiting for it to arrive to put it up for sale. And not of all these are charging a markup.

Some people like @mmmmazimg (wisely ) put their names in on multiple spots and have a car for sale already. )

And of course some cars are actually being delivered to people that were in line first.

As with all things M2 , the process was much the same with the 1M. As allocations come out each month there is a flurry of cars availability and there is also a secondary break of cars coming into dealers where the gm seems to keep cards close to the vest and the car is available for a few days and then sells.

It's a very crazy process. But a person who really wants the car and really beats the ground can find one and sometimes more.

CosmosMpower has been dishing allocations like a point guard , while trying to find the exact build he wants. PROPS
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #32
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
30 minutes. And it took 5, max, to feel the difference from an M4. I drove them back to back.

The Cayman comparison I did from memory of a couple months prior.
i'm sure youve made your opinion but you have to remember the m4 has a ton of customization that can get you more an more connected and it takes time to dial in your preferences. everything from trans/steering/suspension/throttle etc. can all be configured independently, you are talking about dozens of differnt combinations. and then you can even get into MDM mode which is next level type stuff. i personally would have a hard time forming an informed opinion on a single test drive or lap around the track, i certainly couldn't do it in 5 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:16 PM   #33
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
i'm sure youve made your opinion but you have to remember the m4 has a ton of customization that can get you more an more connected and it takes time to dial in your preferences. everything from trans/steering/suspension/throttle etc. can all be configured independently, you are talking about dozens of differnt combinations. and then you can even get into MDM mode which is next level type stuff. i personally would have a hard time forming an informed opinion on a single test drive or lap around the track, i certainly couldn't do it in 5 minutes.
Well, I asked the SA to set all the combos to a total "package" that in his opinion would most closely match the sport setting on the M2. He was quite familiar with the M4's options, or so he said. He fiddled with some buttons for while and then pronounced the car ready.

Beyond that, I did not go. But I simply do not believe you or any experienced driver could not tell the difference very quickly. Now you and I might differ as to which side of the difference we like better, to be sure, but it really was readily apparent to me. The M2's ride felt very familiar, much closer to my tweaked E36 M3, except with more torque down low. The M4 felt larger, with more lag down low than the M2 and more muscle up high.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 02:44 AM   #34
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er
Quote:
First of all, Congrats!

Many dealers are changing their mind at the last moment and charging a markup. If they have a list of 10 buyers they feel that one of the ten will pay and probably are correct. Buyer 1 gets hosed but buyer 4 or some random caller may get it.

Just because a person jumps in and says " I got an allocation " doesn't mean they didn't pay a markup.. Some people simply are willing to pay to be the first on the block.

Some dealer general managers are ordering the car and then waiting for it to arrive to put it up for sale. And not of all these are charging a markup.

Some people like @mmmmazimg (wisely ) put their names in on multiple spots and have a car for sale already. )

And of course some cars are actually being delivered to people that were in line first.

As with all things M2 , the process was much the same with the 1M. As allocations come out each month there is a flurry of cars availability and there is also a secondary break of cars coming into dealers where the gm seems to keep cards close to the vest and the car is available for a few days and then sells.

It's a very crazy process. But a person who really wants the car and really beats the ground can find one and sometimes more.

CosmosMpower has been dishing allocations like a point guard , while trying to find the exact build he wants. PROPS
Well said^^

Friend of mine just jumped boat on the m2 and went and got a loaded m235 for 500 over invoice
      04-25-2016, 10:18 AM   #35
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

My question is what should the strategy be for someone who wants to do ED like myself? I'm on a list and the dealer has been straight with me since the beginning, but not too many dealers are eager to give up allocations for ED. I also don't know how beating the ground and bothering dealers would allow me to jump the lines. I have a feeling sliding into a build-able allocation is different than finding a car that just arrived on the lot. I haven't given up on the ED experience and getting the exact spec I want, but if the wait gets crazy I might jump to something else. Totally understand it's bad on me that I didn't get on more lists earlier. Any advice would be appreciated!
      04-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #36
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdg76 View Post
My question is what should the strategy be for someone who wants to do ED like myself? I'm on a list and the dealer has been straight with me since the beginning, but not too many dealers are eager to give up allocations for ED. I also don't know how beating the ground and bothering dealers would allow me to jump the lines. I have a feeling sliding into a build-able allocation is different than finding a car that just arrived on the lot. I haven't given up on the ED experience and getting the exact spec I want, but if the wait gets crazy I might jump to something else. Totally understand it's bad on me that I didn't get on more lists earlier. Any advice would be appreciated!
Hang in there... but also keep in mind that allocations that come out to dealers each month still may not be spoken for if a dealer GM hasn't told the sales staff..

In my situation I looked for a 1M allocation in April or so of 2011. I secured an allocation with a small dealership in South Carolina and gave the sales rep ED my 3 requested ED dates. I then heard nothing for weeks. End of April happened (May allocations) and no word. I sent emails and got no reply. I watched the allocations come out the next month and still got no phone call from my rep end of May.. and then as June went on . I panicked and called over 200 dealers and found nothing. I called asking for ED MSRP, as a real buyer, not a service or leasing company. .

Then the last weekend in June (when July allocations came) on a Friday I got a call from a GM of Tom WIlliams BMW. He said that he had my info from my previous calls and their allocation was going to be coming up the first week off July.

He took all my info and I gave him a 5K deposit and we agreed to finalize the paperwork on Monday when he could enter it in the system. On Monday morning I woke up to an email from my original SOUTH Carolina dealer rep with the ED date of September first CONFIRMED.

I literally had two allocations and a zero deposit at the first dealer that was very uncommunicative and an ED date and a 5K deposit I had just placed on Friday with a dealer that was also going to give m ED MSRP. I called to South Carolina and said WOOHOO. Then called to tom Wlliiams BMW and said.. um... I know this guy on Bimmerpost... and passed it off to a person that was desperate for a car and the dealership transferred all the paperwork to him and returned my deposit once he gave them his.

So.. my experience tells me that you may be just fine.. but if you aren't sure.. then making a bunch of calls just might help you too...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #37
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
M3 Adjuster appreciate the response and didn't mean to jack the thread. It's my first time ordering a car, let alone a new model M car. I will continue to call around. If anyone has an unwanted LBB 6MT Exec ED allocation I will gladly slide into their spot If I happen to get my hands on an extra I will be sure to share the love as well.
      04-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #38
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I would wait and get what you want how you want it. Unless you are just desperate to have one now then just buy whatever you can get your hands on ASAP. As for me, I'm in no rush, I have other cars to drive so I'm going to wait for the config I want and likely for ED for both the experience and small discounts. I could have bought 2 M2's last week that were on the ground at dealerships for MSRP but I passed because they were not my spec. Or I might cheap out and buy a Focus RS but those might be harder to get at MSRP than a M2!
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #39
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I asked the SA to set all the combos to a total "package" that in his opinion would most closely match the sport setting on the M2. He was quite familiar with the M4's options, or so he said. He fiddled with some buttons for while and then pronounced the car ready.

Beyond that, I did not go. But I simply do not believe you or any experienced driver could not tell the difference very quickly. Now you and I might differ as to which side of the difference we like better, to be sure, but it really was readily apparent to me. The M2's ride felt very familiar, much closer to my tweaked E36 M3, except with more torque down low. The M4 felt larger, with more lag down low than the M2 and more muscle up high.
thats the thing man. more lag = change the throttle setting....done.

maybe the sa set the settings to detune the car so it was closer to the m2....maybe he thought he had to tame the car to offer a comparison...we dont really know.

id personally own either. my justification form my purchase was outlined in a previous post on another thread. probably a different mindset than most. but the non quantifiable statement based off of little or no true experience gets a bit old.

fyi...own an m4 and have and am on a wait list for m2 and will make my mind up when my name is called.. not down playing either. i think the m2 section may be dealing with a "to many cooks in the kitchen" scenario. Not pointed at you directly at all, but their are a lot of un substantiated opinions and comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #40
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
thats the thing man. more lag = change the throttle setting....done.

maybe the sa set the settings to detune the car so it was closer to the m2....maybe he thought he had to tame the car to offer a comparison...we dont really know.

id personally own either. my justification form my purchase was outlined in a previous post on another thread. probably a different mindset than most. but the non quantifiable statement based off of little or no true experience gets a bit old.

fyi...own an m4 and have and am on a wait list for m2 and will make my mind up when my name is called.. not down playing either. i think the m2 section may be dealing with a "to many cooks in the kitchen" scenario. Not pointed at you directly at all, but their are a lot of un substantiated opinions and comparisons.
Don't disagree with any of that, in the abstract. But after you drive the M2, I would be very very surprised if you conclude that the two cars are hard to distinguish in driving experience, no matter the buttons pushed. And that's what I was saying. I happened to prefer the M2's distinguishing qualities, but I certainly understand if you or anybody else does not.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #41
streetmasters
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
I would wait and get what you want how you want it. Unless you are just desperate to have one now then just buy whatever you can get your hands on ASAP. As for me, I'm in no rush, I have other cars to drive so I'm going to wait for the config I want and likely for ED for both the experience and small discounts. I could have bought 2 M2's last week that were on the ground at dealerships for MSRP but I passed because they were not my spec. Or I might cheap out and buy a Focus RS but those might be harder to get at MSRP than a M2!
Hardly "cheaping out" with a Focus RS (especially with the mark up as you mentioned). Been thinking the same, to go for an RS. At this point I just want a car I can drive straight to the track and have some fun with....this year! I'm #11 here at a Houston dealer and there is probably no hope for me getting an ED vehicle this year. I hate the games the dealers are playing. Received a text yesterday "I don't understand...you have an allocation..." I replay asking what date, no ans.

Good luck to all who have more patience than I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:02 AM   #42
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmasters
Quote:
Hardly "cheaping out" with a Focus RS (especially with the mark up as you mentioned). Been thinking the same, to go for an RS. At this point I just want a car I can drive straight to the track and have some fun with....this year! I'm #11 here at a Houston dealer and there is probably no hope for me getting an ED vehicle this year. I hate the games the dealers are playing. Received a text yesterday "I don't understand...you have an allocation..." I replay asking what date, no ans.

Good luck to all who have more patience than I do.
If your dealer js telling you that you have your name on an allocation then that's actually a damn good sign. It's just a matter of what month the allocation will be picked up and process.

Could be the end of this month or could be the following but that's pretty good info
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #43
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetmasters View Post
<snip> At this point I just want a car I can drive straight to the track and have some fun with....this year! <snip>
Is there a reason you cannot track the BMW 335i Alpine White listed in your profile?

Buy some race compound pads, rotors, install, flush the brakes, adjust the tire pressure and tear it up.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #44
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is unfortunate that ADM are inevitable in certain states for these cars. My friend was in a hurry to find a car and I was able to help him track down a exec 6mt hea car for only $1k markup which is more then reasonable considering he got m perf kidney grills/gills along with a set of all season floor mats included. So in theory he only paid about $500 over msrp.
Appreciate 0