BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE valve closes by itslef

10-21-2019, 12:58 AM   #1
juicy
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

MPE valve closes by itslef

it happens many times that the exhaust valve close by itself while I'm driving. I opened them with the remote then they close again after random time. Any solution guys?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

Mine does same but I’ve been too lazy to actually check the module number but the below is from D22M2 in another thread. ( https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+module&page=4). Apparently there are a few known module numbers that will do this even with a fresh battery, which will need to be replaced:

I had the same issue and got BMW to replace the controller module + Bluetooth switch

Check out the RA sticker (white sticker) on your module, if it’s a 15V Exx or Fxx its no good, a known faulty module. it needs to be a 17V F08 or other module.

Contact Kevin at BMW USA - super nice guy - you’ll get squared away in no time

Kevin R. Mulligan
Senior Accessory Development Engineer B2-US-A-23
BMW of North America LLC
200 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
Office: (+1) 201.802.4516
Email: kevin.mulligan@bmwna.com

Last edited by EM240; 10-22-2019 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
D22M21366.50
jayg80216.50
      10-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
juicy
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Mine does same but I’ve been too lazy to actually check the module number but the below is from D22M2 in another thread. ( https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ule&page=4). Apparently there are a few known module numbers that will do this even with a fresh battery, which will need to be replaced:

I had the same issue and got BMW to replace the controller module + Bluetooth switch

Check out the RA sticker (white sticker) on your module, if it’s a 15V Exx or Fxx its no good, a known faulty module. it needs to be a 17V F08 or other module.

Kevin R. Mulligan
BMW of North America LLC
200 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I wrote to Kevin (per your reco) yesterday and he got back to me today offering to facilitate with my local dealer. I'll be making an appointment in the coming weeks to address this issue.

Thank you.
Appreciate 1
D22M21366.50
      11-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Thank you for this connection. I was able to take this information to my dealer, Santa Monica BMW last week. Although I had to be in a loaner - base X3 for about 9 days they took care of the problem. After initially just ordering the module in the trunk they then had an issue pairing it with the old remote and had to order a new bluetooth controller as well. Since my SA had no idea that the MPE was operated with a separate BT controller I'm thankful that I had this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM240 View Post
Mine does same but I’ve been too lazy to actually check the module number but the below is from D22M2 in another thread. ( https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...+module&page=4). Apparently there are a few known module numbers that will do this even with a fresh battery, which will need to be replaced:

Kevin R. Mulligan
BMW of North America LLC
200 Chestnut Ridge Road
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Thank you for this connection. I was able to take this information to my dealer, Santa Monica BMW last week. Although I had to be in a loaner - base X3 for about 9 days they took care of the problem. After initially just ordering the module in the trunk they then had an issue pairing it with the old remote and had to order a new bluetooth controller as well. Since my SA had no idea that the MPE was operated with a separate BT controller I'm thankful that I had this info.
Good deal - I had the same exact experience as you… Down to the X3 loaner

My Valve has been operating flawlessly now for about two years 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:49 PM   #7
BJM2018
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayg80 View Post
Good deal - I had the same exact experience as you… Down to the X3 loaner

My Valve has been operating flawlessly now for about two years 👍🏼
Mine flaps did the same thing and they replaced the whole system, thank god that was under warranty...
Appreciate 0