BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Ranks Second in JD Power APEAL study behind Porsche

07-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #45
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Porsche is a benchmark to beat. Let's go BMW
Lol will never happen. Porsche are the kings of the automotive landscape. every car they make is best in class across the board and has been for decade now. BMW gave them a great run for their money in the previous decade and then completely sold out to mass appeal without a silver lining (see: Porsche's dominance in the SUV category for their breadwinners, while using the gains to keep their legacy of making the best sports cars).
Porsche is fortunate in that they're part of VW Group.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #46
ScreamingChicken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 MG MT Exec

Dodge / Ram is top non-premium...I can see that. Wife's Durango is well above the run of the mill SUVs in emotional appeal. But still nowhere near my M2!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #47
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Appealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingChicken View Post
Dodge / Ram is top non-premium...I can see that. Wife's Durango is well above the run of the mill SUVs in emotional appeal. But still nowhere near my M2!
Lets see how BMW are ranked after all their vehicles get the huge oversized grills
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      07-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
As far as I'm concerned, VW Group products being #1 and 4 is even more confusing.

After owning Audi products and dealing with their service/maintenance - let me suggest anyone think twice! You'd think they'd learn from the diesel scandal and to better serve their customers, but they really don't give a crap about their customers. First I thought it was the South Florida dealers, then after dealing with Audi corporate, I realize it's systemic.

Vehicles with published TSB's for problems and the dealers refusing to do the repairs because they repeatedly claim they cannot reproduce the issue. Even with me standing there showing them the issue, and their acknowledgment, yet they continue to refuse. And Audi corporate just as moronic.

Then there's Audi's drivers assistance (cameras, lane change assist, etc.). If your car needs a wheel alignment, the dealer will not do the work unless you agree to have these systems "recalibrated" to a tune of $800. No joke. Morons. Google it, its a real issue for their crappy engineered cars. Or a corporate scam pushed down to dealers.

Even a simple software update requires an act of congress to get them to agree to do under warranty.

My guess is Porsche is no different, or little difference.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, but Porsche owners can afford to pay up for this crap. They don’t even blink at a $500 oil change.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #49
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Too bad the salesmen at my local dealership don't realize this. I was in there yesterday. They had a 2-series and a G20 in the showroom. I was all over both cars showing as much interest as possible. I was in the mood to test drive the new G20 for some reason. Not a pique of interest in me. I was dressed in business attire. Started to walk out, past the gaggle of salesmen hanging around like a bunch of taxi drivers. One finally releases I might be interested in a car. He asked if he could help me. I said "Well, finally", so just to fuck with him I asked if he had any 2 or 3-series in stock with a manual transmission...

Thinking about it now, maybe they do realize BMW appeal and expect customers to come to them begging for acceptance... Hopefully you guys at BMW of Fairfax are better at selling cars.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      07-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #50
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

JD Power threads are always an adventure on this site because they invariably become a minefield of ‘well I don’t think that, so that study is bullshit’ comments

Which is human nature, so i’m not criticizing, but please do consider that the whole point of market research is to allow you to make decisions based on data representative of the whole field - not your own or the groupthink of the people around you.

As an ex-market researcher this makes me want to go look closer at Genesis to see what the fuss is all about. I saw their 2018’s at the car show - they look like they took solid aim at Lexus and got 80% of the way there....so i see what their strategy is.
Appreciate 3
      07-27-2019, 09:21 AM   #51
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
I would believe it, but how is Genesis number 3? Who does that appeal to as a brand?
It must be the service experience that is impressing these owners.

I've never driven one so I have no idea how good they are.
Not here to defend Genesis (don't own one, own 2 bmw's), but their G70 made C&D's top 10 list. Guess what's not on that list? 3 series.
Where have you been? The 3er hasn't "made it" on their list since 2014, or somewhere there about. Does anyone actually take their list seriously though? If we did, we'd all be driving a g70 instead, with its prominent turbo lag and temperamental transmission (according to recent MT comparison article).
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #52
Fedie
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Garage List
JD power survey strategy, rank your customers 1-5 by 1 being the worst. Ignore 1-2, work with 3 and only send surveys to 4-5
Long gone, Le Mans Blue X1 xdrive35 M-Sport - Alpina TCU flash - HR springs - Catless dp - JB4 ST2 - CAI -- Alpine White 2007 335i E92 - Procede v3 Stg 2/3 custom - VRSP 3" DP - Stett charge + Forge DV - Stett CAI - CXracing IC
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #53
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi's score is entirely attributable to the introduction and popularity of the Mirage lmao
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #54
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Surprised to see Mazda so low given the criteria (primarily, emotional attachment and excitement). They make a great car for the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #55
E7J3F3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 328i

The Hyundai/Genesis disparity is interesting! I've had one experience with a Hyundai rental and it was pretty bad. But I hear so many good things about the Genesis lineup.
Appreciate 1
Fitzy4GC111.00
      07-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #56
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Porsche is a benchmark to beat. Let's go BMW
Lol will never happen. Porsche are the kings of the automotive landscape. every car they make is best in class across the board and has been for decade now. BMW gave them a great run for their money in the previous decade and then completely sold out to mass appeal without a silver lining (see: Porsche's dominance in the SUV category for their breadwinners, while using the gains to keep their legacy of making the best sports cars).
You're so right.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:19 PM   #57
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, VW Group products being #1 and 4 is even more confusing.

After owning Audi products and dealing with their service/maintenance - let me suggest anyone think twice! You'd think they'd learn from the diesel scandal and to better serve their customers, but they really don't give a crap about their customers. First I thought it was the South Florida dealers, then after dealing with Audi corporate, I realize it's systemic.

Vehicles with published TSB's for problems and the dealers refusing to do the repairs because they repeatedly claim they cannot reproduce the issue. Even with me standing there showing them the issue, and their acknowledgment, yet they continue to refuse. And Audi corporate just as moronic.

Then there's Audi's drivers assistance (cameras, lane change assist, etc.). If your car needs a wheel alignment, the dealer will not do the work unless you agree to have these systems "recalibrated" to a tune of $800. No joke. Morons. Google it, its a real issue for their crappy engineered cars. Or a corporate scam pushed down to dealers.

Even a simple software update requires an act of congress to get them to agree to do under warranty.

Just my 2 cents.
Yes, but Porsche owners can afford to pay up for this crap. They don’t even blink at a $500 oil change.
Lol I don't know about all that. Average 911 cost of oil change ranges between 200-350 on the high end depending on location. Without any specials. At Indy shops it wouldn't be more than 180.
      07-29-2019, 05:21 AM   #58
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Not surprised. These cars are amazing machines and those who appreciate it will never leave.
      07-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #59
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

The contempt and confusion over the Genesis brand makes me smile.

I'm glad to see the Genesis brand making waves.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 05:43 AM   #60
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

Just my 2 cents.
Their driving is on the same level as their customer service. My office is 1/2 mile away from Audi's US corporate headquarters, so I encounter a few Audi "HQ"-tagged vehicles a day. Most DC people are self-important, over-indulged ass-hat drivers anyway, but get near an Audi HQ car in a BMW... they become crazy and HATE to get passed by a BMW. It's just so fun
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
lab_rat394.50
      07-29-2019, 09:21 AM   #61
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

No points for second place.
      08-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #62
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I’ve never seen anybody drive a genesis they wasn’t a senior citizen in full retirement.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 11:30 PM   #63
drpep
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 Sedan

Quote:
Absolutely. As much as I love BMWs M coupes and sedans (not X series stuff), Porsche really are in a different league in terms of quality and driving involvement. Always have been.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #64
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Porsche sell way less than BMW, Porsche is a better car but cost accordingly as well...
Appreciate 0