BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Give up MPE and pick up Fi exhaust

05-14-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
jesustracy
Rep
Drives: F87 M2(6MT)

Give up MPE and pick up Fi exhaust

I used to have bluetooth interference issue about MPE. The valves may randomly close after they are opened. I talked this issue with several dealership and get negative feedback. And I talked this issue with other owners who had this issue, no one can really find the reason.

Finally, I determined to take MPE off and find a new exhaust instead.

Then I did almost 3 months research, analyzed the personality between

Akrapovic, Fi exhaust and Amytrix (top 3 for M2 so far)

Akrapovic:
Tone: similar to MPE
Loudness:a little bit louder than MPE
Controlled by Bluetooth (Might have interference issue, not suggested go with BT, you can choose Akra without BT)
Pops and crackles: it has a lot pops and crackles, but not loud enough
Turbo back sound when release the throttle: similar to MPE

Fi exhaust:
Tone: much more aggressive than MPE
Loudness: way louder than MPE, especially in tunnel.(MPE in tunnel is not loud at all)
Controlled by just remote controller(Not bluetooth, Bt is an option, not necessary)(No interference issue so far)
Pops and crackles: many pops and crackles, loud enough
Turbo back sound when release the throttle: waywaywaywayway louder than mpe, very attractive and addictive.

Amytrix:
Amytrix is loud enough but not attractive.
It has the high tone but definitely less pops and crackles
Controlled by just remote controller(BT is an option, not necessary)

I drove MPE for 4 months and Fi exhaust for 3 weeks. So far I honestly love Fi exhaust so much.

my purchase combo is Fi full exhaust with catless, without BT module.

I dont have time to post pics and videos about my Fi exhaust, but will do in next couple of days.

here's some videos which I watched during the research, hope these help:

See you guys later.
Appreciate 1
PiK61.00
      05-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
jesustracy
Rep

BTW, I just saw that MPE has a new version now.

You have to press the red button in the trunk before open the valves? that sucks...LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
mlust
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesustracy View Post
BTW, I just saw that MPE has a new version now.

You have to press the red button in the trunk before open the valves? that sucks...LOL
Yes, but only for the Euro market from what I understand.
Appreciate 2
S1monQc223.50
ried791.50
      05-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Damn the FI really does sound awesome. I'm considering changing my MPE for it as well. Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the FI is a cat back or if it comes with its own DP like some of the other setups available?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
Damn the FI really does sound awesome. I'm considering changing my MPE for it as well. Thanks for the info.

Do you know if the FI is a cat back or if it comes with its own DP like some of the other setups available?
Can be bought either way
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
jesustracy
Rep

Quote:

I suggested go with Full exhaust system with catless downpipe, in that way, you get the most aggressive one.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Akrapovic and MPE are very different soundings. And Akrapovic is noticeably quieter.
      05-15-2017, 07:33 AM   #8
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Why not Remus? It's only slightly quieter than MPE and doesn't have the red button, startup rattle and BT remote issues. Sounds very deep and rumbly, closest to MPE imho.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
jesustracy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Akrapovic and MPE are very different soundings. And Akrapovic is noticeably quieter.
Are you from Shanghai?我也是上海人
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #10
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I suggested go with Full exhaust system with catless downpipe, in that way, you get the most aggressive one.
Thanks yeah I have a catless dp now and my MPE is significantly louder than my friends akra system with my catless dp. If I go with FI I'll probably keep my catless dp and see how that sounds.

Also I was wondering; You didn't opt for the obd2 remote control system? If you don't you have to use the app on your phone only right? Is it easy and quick? Do you find the need to get the remote with it? I'm trying to decide if it's necessary. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #11
arwin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

I like cracks and burbles and all....but that's just too much imo and makes the car sound cheap. Maybe i'm just old. lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Nice switch! FI is my personal favorite on the M2. We have one in stock with Carbon tips for anyone interested
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #13
jesustracy
Rep

Quote:
Thanks yeah I have a catless dp now and my MPE is significantly louder than my friends akra system with my catless dp. If I go with FI I'll probably keep my catless dp and see how that sounds.

Also I was wondering; You didn't opt for the obd2 remote control system? If you don't you have to use the app on your phone only right? Is it easy and quick? Do you find the need to get the remote with it? I'm trying to decide if it's necessary. Thanks!
Im just using the standard remote control provided by Fi. It is very easy to use. BT is just an option not necessary one. I am not choosing it is because I am worry about the BT interference issue like MPE had.
Appreciate 1
M2Dynamic183.50
      05-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

FI sounds really good

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #15
LindsayEOD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benef1cient View Post
Why not Remus? It's only slightly quieter than MPE and doesn't have the red button, startup rattle and BT remote issues. Sounds very deep and rumbly, closest to MPE imho.
Is the Remus really quieter than the MPE? I'm still deciding on the FI or Remus and do not want it to be too quiet.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayEOD View Post
Is the Remus really quieter than the MPE? I'm still deciding on the FI or Remus and do not want it to be too quiet.
REMUS is not quieter, its a different tone.

MPE is high pitched, REMUS tone is deep and aggressive

I like it better because it sounds really good with and without downpipes.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #17
LindsayEOD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Thanks Mike! That's what I thought but was little confused by the post above.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:05 AM   #18
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayEOD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post

Thanks Mike! That's what I thought but was little confused by the post above.
I said slightly. There is a comparison on 2ertalk.de forum done by a guy who had MPE and then switched to Remus (both with hjs 300 cat) and thats what he said after having both. It's marginal difference and he said that Remus is deeper and more sophisticated in sound and loud AF so no worries it's a win-win over the MPE anyways.

I'm buying this one for sure, just let's be factual and make an informed decision.

Google translated quotes from user e36 on 2ertalk.de
Quote:
Is the Remus with open flap (continuous open with Bimmerlink) equal loud as the MPE?

I would now say that the Remus permanently open about 80-90% of the MP-AGA volume reached.

This morning I'm driving the Remus with closed flaps (over bimmerlink manually closed). In this mode, the Remus is again a little quieter than PP with closed flaps.

The original flap control probably opens the flaps even in the comfort mode at certain driving conditions. In the MDM mode, the flaps originally also appear to be open. For me now a new learning process.

I already have it. When Remus the flaps over the normal control of the vehicle to be controlled. On the MPE via the remote control. That really is a difference. As a result, the Remus is often or mostly louder than the MPE with closed flaps. If you are at the Remus in Sport / Sport + is on the way, but it is not as loud as the MPE with open flaps. The spreading in the volume is less with Remus .
The MPE has the drone with open and closed flaps at 120-140 km / h. Here is Remus enjoyable. At least on the previous, 150 km.

So Remus and hjs dp is already loudly loud! In Padborg on the track I already had stress with the racing commisar! The make on the straight line measurements and I am in the
drive with 109 dB louder than my buddy with nen w204 C63 without medium-sound attenuator! They have all said that the furnace sounds like a Nissan gtr with Akra plant!

After a few weeks or months with MPE and Remus , I am still more convinced of Remus !

Last edited by Benef1cient; 05-16-2017 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #19
Verdi
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 -17, i3 REX -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwin View Post
I like cracks and burbles and all....but that's just too much imo and makes the car sound cheap. Maybe i'm just old. lol
Sometimes I get a feeling that many likes the cracks and burbles more than the sound you get when actually driving hard. I guess it's because it's more "available" when driving around town. I mean, girls can hear it and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #20
Blackorchid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' 6MT G-35, 2017 6MT M2

does it make a difference on which down pipe you use??? I am leaning toward FI with Fabspeed downpipe, but saw that FI came out with a down pipe now.....

Dont know what the price on FI pipe is,,,,or if its an HJS Catalyst, waiting on reply from seller......if its cheaper an equal to on price an works like the Fabspeed version, Ill give it a try? Otherwise Ill stick to Fabspeed wiyh FI Exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #21
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackorchid View Post
does it make a difference on which down pipe you use??? I am leaning toward FI with Fabspeed downpipe, but saw that FI came out with a down pipe now.....

Dont know what the price on FI pipe is,,,,or if its an HJS Catalyst, waiting on reply from seller......if its cheaper an equal to on price an works like the Fabspeed version, Ill give it a try? Otherwise Ill stick to Fabspeed wiyh FI Exhaust.
FI Catless DP is $750
FI 100/200 cell DP is $1050
CF tips are $600
Exhaust alone is $3000

adds up but from what Ive heard its worth every dollar. Let me know what combo you get when you get it and a sound clip would be great. Goodluck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 02:13 AM   #22
thiago
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Hi man, is there a big difference between stock dp and fi dp? I already installed the fi catback and it just amazing. Considering if I should put a fi dp or not. I am worrying about tuning if I put the fi dp.
Appreciate 0