BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How to disable burbles?

08-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #67
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
What do you mean interchangeable? It looks like they do different things, if that's what you mean I understand
My bad, yes that's what I meant: you can't use BimmerLINK to manage features like DRL brightness, auto fold mirrors etc., although I believe you can manage the ASD via both. To me at least, BimmerCODE seems to manage convenience features, and BimmerLINK is more HW & diagnostics centric (e.g. exhaust flap remote control, datalogging).

Before this exhaust popping feature, I wasn't even considering BimmerLINK, except for registering a new battery...
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7401.00
      08-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #68
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
My bad, yes that's what I meant: you can't use BimmerLINK to manage features like DRL brightness, auto fold mirrors etc., although I believe you can manage the ASD via both. To me at least, BimmerCODE seems to manage convenience features, and BimmerLINK is more HW & diagnostics centric (e.g. exhaust flap remote control, datalogging).

Before this exhaust popping feature, I wasn't even considering BimmerLINK, except for registering a new battery...
Yep I gotcha. I just downloaded bimmerlink in anticipation for this. Thanks to those that kicked it off and a responsive developer!
      08-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #69
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
FYI...getting confirmation from the developer now, but I believe we'd need BimmerLINK not BimmerCODE to turn off the exhaust pops.

From my limited research, BimmerLINK and BimmerCODE are not interchangeable.
Hopefully its coded as a permanent enable/disable feature, and not like the exhaust valve control via Bimmerlink, where you have to set your preference every time you start the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #70
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Hopefully its coded as a permanent enable/disable feature, and not like the exhaust valve control via Bimmerlink, where you have to set your preference every time you start the car.
I wasn't aware of this as I haven't yet used BimmerLink. The developer is super responsive, and given that a few of us already reached out to him showing him strong interest, I presume he'll make it permanent - we just have to advise him of it.

FYI - I made him aware of this thread that started it all. Until a few days ago, the singular way to turn off exhaust pops was only via a tune. Recently, the Burkhart AK-display and now the BimmerLink can also do that. We like options...
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7401.00
      08-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #71
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
I wasn't aware of this as I haven't yet used BimmerLink. The developer is super responsive, and given that a few of us already reached out to him showing him strong interest, I presume he'll make it permanent - we just have to advise him of it.

FYI - I made him aware of this thread that started it all. Until a few days ago, the singular way to turn off exhaust pops was only via a tune. Recently, the Burkhart AK-display and now the BimmerLink can also do that. We like options...
I don't think there would be a permanent solution. The Bimmerlink relies on the BLE connection to stay alive to remember the settings. It doesn't change any memory settings in the ECU. Only if he could implement this on Bimmercode, the solution would be permanent.
      08-13-2020, 04:07 AM   #72
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Developer says out for testing on iOS, any of you have it yet?
      08-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #73
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Developer says out for testing on iOS, any of you have it yet?
Stephan sent it to me,app is installed and ready to test...now just waiting for my veepeak BLE dongle to arrive from Amazon.

I also asked the developer if this will permanently disable the pops or I need to do it again every time I start the car.

I'll update the community with my findings. I'm pretty stoked nevertheless, in 24 hrs, seemingly we got an easy to use and cost effective solution. Remains to be seen if it actually works and if it's permanent...if so, Stephan with BimmerCode/BimmerLink deserve 5 stars across the board!

EDIT- unsure how difficult will it be to code this feature into BimmerCode for a more permanent solution.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-13-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 3
JustinHEMI7401.00
CKr27.00
      08-13-2020, 10:48 AM   #74
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
I don't think there would be a permanent solution. The Bimmerlink relies on the BLE connection to stay alive to remember the settings. It doesn't change any memory settings in the ECU. Only if he could implement this on Bimmercode, the solution would be permanent.
Not to disregard your knowledge as you're probably correct and I don't have an intricate know-how on BimmerLink or BimmerCode apps.

BUT...don't both apps (BCode and BLink) communicate to the ECU via the dongle's BLE connection and the OBD port to toggle flags ON/OFF for certain features? Dongles like the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE act a comms bridge between the phone app and the car's ECU/DME:

- the BLE is used to receive commands from apps residing on the phone [primarily a half duplex communication as it always listens for phone commands; normally it won't allow to 'write/send' anything back to the phone, with perhaps the exception of an ACK - acknowledgement flag]
- while the CANbus wiring system is used to communicate and control various microprocessors inside the car [this is a full duplex with asynchronous Read/Write capabilities]

Maybe I got this wrong, but to my knowledge, at a very high level the data flows this way:

1. The BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is used to communicate to the phone app itself. A certain command is set from BimmerLink/BimmerCode apps, then sent to the OBD port via the BLE communication protocol running on the dongle (e.g. VeePeak)
2. Using the OBD port, the dongle 'receives command', and it then sends it via the CAN bus wiring system to the ECU for execution
3. For any flag/feature to remain permanent, the appropriate command needs to be written such that the ECU stores it.

If my simpleton explanation above is true, why would the BLE connection need to always be on for a more permanent approach?

Feel free to correct any statements, I'm a student of knowledge and wish to learn how things work.

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-13-2020 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 10:42 PM   #75
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
So, this evening I received my Veepeak OBDCheck BLE dongle; plugged it in and easily connected it via the BimmerLink beta version that Stephan sent.

It WORKS, and it works flawlessly given my short tests - definitely the exhaust burbles upon throttle liftoff are removed. I can now say that I can hear the engine winding down upon deceleration or in between shifts (my M2C is a manual not DCT, and I definitely benefit from not hearing the burbles when shifting gears - when on, they just overpowered every engine and exhaust notes). I couldn't be happier, the engine and exhaust notes are cleaner, everything sounds just unobstructed.

I SIMPLY LOVE IT -- Fantastic Job Stephan! Everything took barely 24 hrs to implement, from the moment I emailed him with a request to this evening's tests. Now that's TOP NOTCH support!

The attached crappie mobile phone videos (sorry about the quality) are taken in my garage just this evening; didn't want to rip open the throttle as it was past 21:00 hrs and neighbors would have killed me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...20?usp=sharing (edit: both video clips were taken with Sport+ mode, engine fully warmed up)

Highlights/Cliff Notes:

1. engine + exhaust notes are cleaner, unobstructed by the burbles. Without the burbles, I could hear what was happening under the bonnet and behind me. Before this, I had no idea how much the burbles covered up most of that action (especially in Sport+ mode)
2. Primarily tested in Sport+ mode, ASD and Exhaust Flap ON
3. My '19 M2C is 6 speed, with everything STOCK, even the exhaust.
4. The feature that was implemented in the BimmerLink to turn off burbles is called "Sound Tuning"
5. Change seems to be permanent - the car's ECU seemed to retain whatever changes I made, even after I disconnected the Veepeak and the app (stopped by the grocery store - burbles remained off when drove back home)
6. The car threw NO ERRORS
7. For some test samples, I kept the dongle connected to the car so I can make changes on the fly and test back to back: burbles ON vs. OFF. I can say without a doubt that I very much prefer the car without the burbles. To me they just sounded artificial, masking everything else that the engine and exhaust produce.

The Take-away: the car now sounds like my old E46 330ci which I absolutely loved. The resulting sound is clean, guttural, sort of naturally aspirated. A truly gentleman's sports car noise, and that's how the Bavarians should have implemented from the factory.

Thank you Stephan @BimmerLink/BimmerCode - you ROCK!

Edit: the crappie videos above really do no justice...everything sounds x-times better in person.

Bye-bye burbles!!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-14-2020 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 8
      08-14-2020, 07:32 AM   #76
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

SWEEEET! Can't wait for Android!
      08-14-2020, 07:56 AM   #77
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
4. The feature that was implemented in the BimmerLink to turn off burbles is called "Sound Tuning"
This is incredible! Is this widely available for everyone? I checked now and didn't see it as an option.
      08-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #78
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Quote:
This is incredible! Is this widely available for everyone? I checked now and didn't see it as an option.
Negative- I believe I'm the first one to test this feature. I asked the developer a couple days ago if it's possible to disable the burbles, and a day later he sent me a beta test version (iOS). Further tests are being conducted, but we can't be too far off from final public release. So far so good - I can't imagine how much better the exhaust will sound with AA's equal length midpipe.

I know this is a personal choice, no burbling for me at least. Until I tried it, I could not believe how much interference the burbling had with the natural engine and exhaust sounds...

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-14-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
ebisu81070.50
JustinHEMI7401.00
      08-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #79
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Negative- I believe I'm the first one to test this feature. I asked the developer a couple days ago if it's possible to disable the burbles, and a day later he sent me a beta test version (iPhone). Further tests are being conducted, but we can't be too far off from final public release. So far so good - I can't imagine how much better the exhaust will sound with AA's equal length midpipe.

I know this is a personal choice, no burbling for me at least. Until I tried it, I could not believe how much interference the burbling had with the natural engine and exhaust sounds...
Awesome, thanks for reply.
      08-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #80
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Negative- I believe I'm the first one to test this feature. I asked the developer a couple days ago if it's possible to disable the burbles, and a day later he sent me a beta test version (iPhone). Further tests are being conducted, but we can't be too far off from final public release. So far so good...
Awesome. You may or may not know the answer but will this be available in Bimmercode too?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 09:34 AM   #81
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
Awesome. You may or may not know the answer but will this be available in Bimmercode too?
When I initially asked the developer if 'exhaust burbles can be turned off in BimmerCode', he said he could implement it in BimmerLink. This is a tell-tale sign of differences in how BCode and BLink talk to the DME, or at least in their implementation. Although there is some commonality between them, since ASD can be turned off via either one...so short answer is that I don't know for sure. But the developer is extremely responsive, so email him with your request. If he gets enough of them (and I think he will given the interest on this thread) he may just make it happen if it's technically feasible.

Anywho, I can confirm that burbles can definitely be easily turned off via BLink, I just need to do more extensive tests over the next few days to see if state changes remain permanent once the engine is turned OFF and without the Veepeak dongle plugged in and actively communicating w/ the BLink app. My ultimate goal is to "set it & forget it"...if you ever heard the E46 330ci engine/exhaust notes, you'd know what I mean, it was one sweet sounding machine. Now my stock M2C is dang-close to that. I wouldn't be surprised if this would become one of the most used/wanted feature in BimmerLink, as I can't stress enough how much cleaner the overall sound experience is without the burbles.

**Again, this is a personal opinion and in no way I'm downplaying those who prefer the deceleration pops...they do sound cool and mean in their own right, just for me they mask whatever engine+exhaust action is going on**

Now: should I get the full Dinan exhaust (from the downpipes onward) or wait for the AA equal length mid-pipe? Unsure if there's a price set yet for the EL AA midpipe, but it should be less than a full exhaust piping.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
CKr27.00
      08-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #82
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^^^^ Thank you. Link to get in touch with the developer?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #83
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
^^^^^ Thank you. Link to get in touch with the developer?
support@bimmercodeapp.com
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #84
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #85
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Is it just me, and I haven’t read this entire thread, but I seem to get way less burbles with traction control fully off. I’ve noticed on a few occasions. Just me?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:54 AM   #86
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Not to disregard your knowledge as you're probably correct and I don't have an intricate know-how on BimmerLink or BimmerCode apps.

BUT...don't both apps (BCode and BLink) communicate to the ECU via the dongle's BLE connection and the OBD port to toggle flags ON/OFF for certain features? Dongles like the Veepeak OBDCheck BLE act a comms bridge between the phone app and the car's ECU/DME:

- the BLE is used to receive commands from apps residing on the phone [primarily a half duplex communication as it always listens for phone commands; normally it won't allow to 'write/send' anything back to the phone, with perhaps the exception of an ACK - acknowledgement flag]
- while the CANbus wiring system is used to communicate and control various microprocessors inside the car [this is a full duplex with asynchronous Read/Write capabilities]

Maybe I got this wrong, but to my knowledge, at a very high level the data flows this way:

1. The BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is used to communicate to the phone app itself. A certain command is set from BimmerLink/BimmerCode apps, then sent to the OBD port via the BLE communication protocol running on the dongle (e.g. VeePeak)
2. Using the OBD port, the dongle 'receives command', and it then sends it via the CAN bus wiring system to the ECU for execution
3. For any flag/feature to remain permanent, the appropriate command needs to be written such that the ECU stores it.

If my simpleton explanation above is true, why would the BLE connection need to always be on for a more permanent approach?

Feel free to correct any statements, I'm a student of knowledge and wish to learn how things work.
I was reading it somewhere that people was disabling the exhaust valve using bimmerLink and that the car don't remember the valve setting after being turned off. That's where I had my understanding that BL and BC using different mechanism to make changes. If BL can make permanent change, why have two apps and charge twice?

Good to know that you can turn off the burble permanently. I always wanted to get rid of that immature sound out of my car lol
      08-17-2020, 06:41 AM   #87
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Developer just told me this would likely be in the next Android update!
      08-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #88
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Usability update:

1. To recap, I've used a beta version of BimmerLINK app for iOS to remove the burbles (not yet available in the app stores)
2. removed Veepeak dongle from the OBD port- so there is no live connectivity between the app and the DME
3. Used the car several times over the weekend (with multiple engine starts/shut downs): the status remained unchanged...the burbles remained completely off!!

This needs to be said again: I enjoy driving the car far more since I've coded out the burbles. Besides full car PPF (SunTek) and tinted windows which are cosmetic, this is the only 'tech mod' I've done, and it surely transformed the driving experience.

Highly recommend it and super happy that Stephan @BimmerLink made it happen!

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 08-17-2020 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 1